Pirate 4x4 banner

Perhaps a better Axle option?

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  justdifferentials 
#1 ·

What we have here is yet another alternative to the serious axle game. This, like all Toyota axles is built very well and is very reliable with a couple of very good things going for it.

The first thing I noticed about the Tundra 10.5" axle is the pinion. The Pinion is nearly centered, not very low like a 9", not pretty low like a D60 or 14 bolt but up out of the way which is going to do wonders for your pinion yoke, U joints, & driveshaft.

The next thing that pops up are the 36 spline spiders and that they use the 90 degree pressure angle, not the Dana traditional 60 degree angle. This makes their axles the equivalent of a roughly 37 spline Dana axle which is a pretty damned stout shaft!

Lastly I should confess that I was looking at these 2 years ago and the price was just too high. From Toyota they were $1600 bare and from wrecking yards they were $1000-1100. Over the last few months (September '13 as I write this) the Tundra 3rd members have fallen quite a bit as they started hitting the yards in numbers and today you can get one with a low miles gear set for ~$500.

Those are the benefits and I would be in the wrong to not mention the one detriment I have uncovered while putting these together. In the US the gearing options are limited with 4.88's being the lowest, however in Australia I am told there are several lower available and I have spoken to several of the US gear guys about importing them and a couple of them are talking about doing so.

Toyota Tundra 10.5 - RuffStuff Specialties

See less See more
#17 ·
I just saw this thread again and saw I never posted pics of the axle in Jessi's Tundra...

This one isn't very good, from my phone...

It is a Deaver setup with our spring under kit, it also has our racing hubs and 3" 5 tube bypasses from Fox...

I will find some more over the next few days.

#18 ·
Tundra 10.5"

We offer Nitro Gear 4.88 ratio for the Tundra 10.5", this is the only aftermarket ratio available. OEM ratios are 4.10 & 4.30 with Tow package. These are offered in 2007+ Tundra with 5.7L, 4x2 or 4x4. Rumor of the other options in Australia have been disproven. We have several dealers in OZ that have compared them to the Dyna application, but they are different.
Tundra 10.5" 4.88 Ring & Pinion, 07+ W/ 5.7L

#19 ·
We offer Nitro Gear 4.88 ratio for the Tundra 10.5", this is the only aftermarket ratio available. OEM ratios are 4.10 & 4.30 with Tow package. These are offered in 2007+ Tundra with 5.7L, 4x2 or 4x4. Rumor of the other options in Australia have been disproven. We have several dealers in OZ that have compared them to the Dyna application, but they are different.
Tundra 10.5" 4.88 Ring & Pinion, 07+ W/ 5.7L
These are the guys you want to get gears from!

#20 ·
I have been asking around and it may end up that I get the gears made if none of the big guys want to step up. I am thinking either 5.29 or 5.38... They would cost about $150 more than a standard gearset in the smaller quantities I would have to have made...Any interest?

#22 ·
As much as I like the idea, We just have yet to see enough demand. This axle is not readily used outside the US. The later model 9.5 would be a better choice do to its worldwide versatility. In order to justify another ratio for the US market we'd have to also do front gears to make them work in tundra. This is a possibility if there were enough interest, but we have not seen it. Also 3rd member cores for the 10.5 are tough to come by. Dan, you should email us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.