Pirate 4x4 banner

2005+ SuperDuty Highsteer Knuckle

10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Reid Racing 
#1 ·
Reid Racing's new high-steer Ford SuperDuty (2005+) steering knuckle is designed as a heavy-duty stock-replacement passenger-side knuckle that provides additional options for installing aftermarket steering linkage. Before now, the only solution to this problem was to machine a flat-top onto an OEM knuckle for a custom steering arm, further weakening a knuckle that was never designed for the torsional loads of a highsteer setup in the first place. Not only does this new knuckle allow you to get proper steering geometry from a lifted SuperDuty, but also makes these plentiful axles much easier to swap and steer under other vehicles.

- Uses OEM 2005+ SuperDuty ball joints, unit bearings, caliper, rotor, lockout hub, stub shaft, and U-joint.
- Flat-top pad measures 4.5-inches higher than the cast-in steering arm's top surface, and aftermarket steering arms of various heights can accommodate a wide range of suspension lifts and axle swaps.
- Easy bolt-on installation with no machining required.
- Antilock Brakes, Traction Control, Vacuum Hubs, and Electronic Stability Control systems are retained.
- Cast from high-strength ductile iron and beefed up with extra material and ribbing.
- No powdercoating, so it matches the OEM driver-side knuckle.
- Cast-in steering arm is tapered from the top and bottom so the OEM steering linkage may be re-installed.
- Like all Reid Racing products, MADE IN USA!

We also can supply special optional Tie Rod Bolt Kits that simplify the re-use of the OEM tie rod and properly accommodate Ford's oddball double-tapered steering arm design. We have bolts available with or without a 5/8-inch stud mount for a hydraulic steering assist ram:

D60002FR HD SUPERDUTY KNUCKLE, RIGHT $389.00
D60002-1K TIE ROD BOLT KIT, STANDARD $54.00
D60002-2K TIE ROD BOLT KIT, RAM ASSIST $64.00

Knuckles and Tie Rod Bolts are in stock. Knuckles, High Steer Arms, track bar brackets, and any other parts needed for your build can be sourced from any Reid Racing dealer.

See less See more
#7 ·
The knuckle uses its own highsteer arm bolt pattern, different from the Kingpin Dana 60 pattern, but uses the same ultra-strong ARP highsteer studs.

Until we can determine if there's enough actual demand for a driver-side knuckle, we're holding off on the costly investment in the mold. The primary problem we're trying to solve is the steering geometry issue, and just installing a passenger-side knuckle solves that. The OEM SuperDuty knuckles aren't known for breaking (the ball joints and unit bearings will always be the weak links) so there's a lot less reason to replace the knuckles on both sides. It would be nice to move the tie rod all the way up to the top of the knuckle, but that's twice the investment. With just a single new knuckle with the drag link moved to the highsteer arm, you can flip the tie rod over to the top of the cast-in steering arm and gain several inches of ground clearance under the tie rod for free.

#8 · (Edited)
I am currently gathering parts for my axle. Forgive me I may be missing something but what would I be gaining here vs. simply sending my knuckles to rocksolid or one of the vendors machining the stock knuckles on both side for true high steer and selling compatible arms?

Do you sell an arm for your knuckle? Price? The oem tie rod looks strong but does it even clear an aftermarket cover when ran flipped, ie OTK?
We don't have enough info to work out the complete price on your new solution.

#9 ·
I am currently gathering parts for my axle. Forgive me I may be missing something but what would I be gaining here vs. simply sending my knuckles to rocksolid or one of the vendors machining the stock knuckles on both side for true high steer and selling compatible arms?
The OEM knuckles aren't designed for highsteer. When you bolt a highsteer arm onto the knuckle, not only are you relocating these torsional loads to an area of the knuckle that was never intended for these stresses, but by moving the drag link from the tie rod to its own separate location at the top of the knuckle, you're also effectively doubling the torsional loading. There isn't much material there on the OEM knuckles in the first place, and when you machine a flat top and drill some holes into it, you're removing a portion of what little strength there was to begin with.

Our knuckle is redesigned from scratch for the kinds of steering loads that we expect from our customers with heavy trucks, powerful steering, and big tires. Our knuckle weighs 5.5lbs (18%) more than the OEM knuckle due to all the additional reinforcement we found is necessary to properly handle the steering loads. We've also relocated the vacuum hub port out of the way of the highsteer arm so the knuckles are fully compatible with all OEM parts.

Do you sell an arm for your knuckle? Price? The oem tie rod looks strong but does it even clear an aftermarket cover when ran flipped, ie OTK?
We don't have enough info to work out the complete price on your new solution.
We have never manufactured highsteer arms, tie rods, track bar brackets, suspension kits, or much of anything besides knuckles and C's. Our parts are intended for the hardcore do-it-yourselfer, axle builders, and fabrication shops. Rather than offer a "one-size-fits-all" or "one-size-fits-none" sort of steering arm, we let you make (or your knuckle supplier provide you with) a highsteer arm and whatever other parts you need to make your steering geometry specific to your rig's setup. We also work in partnership with our dealers; rather than compete against them by making the parts they specialize in, we'd rather stick to engineering and producing the parts only we can get made and let our dealers take care of the rest. Just as we design and manufacture racing transmission cases but we aren't complete tranny builders, we design and manufacture steering knuckles but we aren't complete axle builders. Our dealers can help you get a complete axle/steering setup that works for your rig.

#10 · (Edited)
Precision Fabrication Plus, Inc. is proud to announce Reid Racing's Heavy Duty High Steer Ford SuperDuty (2005+) Knuckle. We are the #1 distributor for this project and are ready to take orders and begin shipping. We also offer our own in house brand RDP XTREME steering arm to top it off! Free shipping on RDP XTREME steering arms in the lower 48 states. Our hours of operation are M-F 6am-4:30pm PST (209)588-1000
Like us on Facebook!

Precision Fabrication Plus, Inc.
Craftsmen of RDP XTREME Products
21105-B Longeway Road
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 588-1000 M-F 6am-4:30pm PST

#15 ·
CORRECTION: We've been trying to sort through some conflicting information from the various axle companies we work with regarding the "Super 60" used in the 2005+ F450 and F550. If you have one of these trucks and its brake caliper brackets have greater than 8.5 inches spread between hole centers, then this knuckle will probably not work on your axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.