Pirate 4x4 banner

new rockwell forged aircraft quality 4340 axle shafts

21K views 107 replies 29 participants last post by  PuckerFactor 
#1 ·
OEM proudly introduces the New VIOLATOR SERIES axle shafts, these are the first forged aircraft grade 4340 shafts for rockwells on the planet. Available in the standard 16 spline version or the hardcore 2 inch version. Now with 40 degrees of turning capability and unsurpassed strength. Forged right here in the USA. Custom lengths at no extra charge.:smokin:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Prices are as follows, full set of 16 spline alloys for 1000.00
full set of the 2 inch 47 spline front shafts 1200.00
full front 2 inch conversion will run around 2000.00
i am trying like hell to get the prices down so that people can afford high quality hardcore rockwell components. my original billet version for the 2 inch was 3200.00, now its more affordable. also i was able to shave off 500 from the billet 16 spline shafts, plus they claim a forging is stronger than billet simply because of the grain flow in the material and also i stepped up to aircraft grade 4340 which is a little more pure material and is supposed to respond to heatreat better which will make a stronger shaft in the longrun. ro

#8 ·
Sweet:smokin: Now that you have you such strong shafts,do you have any plans of making a ctm style universal to compliment your shafts? And when you mean conversion kit for the front, what entirely does this mean? Seals, ujoints, shafts, drive caps, and the spindle boring? Thanks :beer:

#9 ·
Actually i do plan on doing a ujoint, forged 4340 cross with the bushings maybe. the problem is that its a bitch to grease the ujoints as it is so i am working on a system where we gundrill the outers and just pull the drive flange off and poke the grease gun thru the outer stub to grease the joint. As far as the conversion, it would be four shafts, drive flanges, a locker or full spool (another new product) the inner seal/bushing retainer and joints for $2150. as far as machine work, most guys do it local to save on ups charges so i am not adding machine work on to the price otherwise it would be around 100 to bore and bush the spindles and carrier halves if needed.

#13 ·
It is interesting that you asked that. i personally feel that the rockwell was over engineered for the shaft diameter that they put in the thing. i havent found the weak link yet. I have blown apart every hard part in a turbo 400 and also blown out gears 3 times in a profab t case. I have never had a problem with a rockwell. Also i have had the first set of 2 inch 39 spline shafts in my truck for over 6 years and just recently sold them to a buddy so that i can run the 47 splines and the old shafts looked perfect. no twist whatsoever. As far as the spindles and boring them out, i have jumped my truck off snow piles getting 6 feet of air, launched it off 4 foot banks into the pit and just plain tried to kill it and never had a spindle issue. my truck weighs 8100 pounds with 750 horse and 57 inch rice and canes and i have yet to see an issue with the rockwell. i also have a buddy in florida that runs a 1200 horse supercharged 540 with 64 inch rice and canes and he has the 2 inch shafts in for 2 years and never had any issues either so it really is an overengineered setup. ro

#14 ·
I also have a new full spool coming out soon. i have been running the billet version for awhile now and just pulled the trigger on a forged full spool set up which is basically two forged carrier halves that are splined with either the stock 16 spline or the 47 spline 2 inch. i will get some pictures up soon of the billet ones. ro

#15 ·
I assume that you are not just marketing these to rock crawlers, correct? I am pretty sure the big mud truck market would love to hear about these. My local yard that used to be filled with Rockwell axles now only has housings attached to vehicles with no shafts in them so someone is breaking stock shafts en masse.

Nice work, and best of luck moving many of them.:smokin:

#17 ·
zachv said:
I assume that you are not just marketing these to rock crawlers, correct? I am pretty sure the big mud truck market would love to hear about these. My local yard that used to be filled with Rockwell axles now only has housings attached to vehicles with no shafts in them so someone is breaking stock shafts en masse.

Nice work, and best of luck moving many of them.:smokin:

yeah, these pretty much evolved for the big mud trucks. that is what i run and i definitely needed bigger shafts. pretty much what i am fighting now is just getting my name out there and letting people realize what is available for these rockwells. it just takes time and with the help of pirate and all of you guys, i think things will work out ok. ro

#18 ·
jrod66 said:
Pics please, randy, have you updated your website or are these shafts different from the ones on your site, (I am so confused), anyway give up some pics of all this new stuff, lots of guys on here want these new shafts, thanks.

These forged shafts are a complete new generation from the billet shafts that i used to make. better material, an excellent quality forging made in the usa, and just an all around better design of yoke. as i stated earlier the new shafts can actually take 40 degrees of turning. i do need to update my site. these are all the old billet shafts. prices came way down on alot of stuff. also the new super 8 is quite an incredible piece. alot has changed with that too. i just need to get them done and get them posted for all to see. ro

#20 ·
Spawn_X said:
awesome product :smokin: have you considered cryo'ing them for addition strength (as if that'll be needed)?

I have thought of that, but there is nothing close by that i know of that does this. I think i am going to offer gundrilling on the 2 inch shafts to get some rotating weight down without sacrificing strength. i have always wanted to experiment with that theory. ro

#22 ·
JEEPRZ said:
Someone needs to offer a conversion to replace the spindle bushing with a bearing...wink wink

I like the turning radius. How are the splines formed?

Actually steve gerstner (differential engineering) has a needle bearing conversion for the stock size shaft thats pretty sweet. Minor machining to the spindle bore but no big deal. I only hob my splines. that is the only capability that i have for making splines. Sure, rolling would be stronger, but that takes a whole new animal to roll splines. I just dont have the money to invest in that piece of equiptment for the little bit more strength that it provides. ro

#23 ·
man, the 2" 47-spline rockwells shafts are the holy grail for rockwell guys. I'd love to have a trail rig with those in 'em. Maybe I should change my plan of using toyota axles in my single seat buggy... ;) Keep up the good work Randy, you're shit kicks ass.

j

#24 · (Edited)
NOCTURNL said:
full set of the 2 inch 47 spline front shafts 1200.00
full front 2 inch conversion will run around 2000.00
Just asking because I'm an idiot and don't know, but what's the difference here between the 2" shafts that you list for $1200 and the 2" conversion for $2000?

Btw, these shafts look killer! :smokin:

EDIT Nevermind, I checked it out on the site.

#25 ·
NOCTURNL said:
... As far as the conversion, it would be four shafts, drive flanges, a locker or full spool (another new product) the inner seal/bushing retainer and joints for $2150...
Any plans of making Mog shafts??

Dayum those 47 spline shafts sound un-freakin-breakable :D

Thumbs up for you Randy,

#26 ·
jekbrown said:
man, the 2" 47-spline rockwells shafts are the holy grail for rockwell guys. I'd love to have a trail rig with those in 'em. Maybe I should change my plan of using toyota axles in my single seat buggy... ;) Keep up the good work Randy, you're shit kicks ass.

j

I appreciate the support. ro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.