Thanks Blue Torch Fab!! - worst customer service ever... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Classifieds > Bad Sellers, Disputes, etc...
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 205355
Thanks Blue Torch Fab!! - worst customer service ever...

What a complete joke of a company Blue Torch Fab is! I just got pretty well fawked by them and would just like to say "Thanks for wasting 6 weeks of my time and leaving me hanging with a big F-you!!"

After looking at different options for fuel cells for my CJ build, I decided to go with the BTF Jeep CJ Extreme Fuel Cell. Surely not a cheap option but is stated to be custom made to order and bolt in, so I pulled the trigger. Perfect for a newbie like me. From the description, this is exactly what I am looking for. Fits in the stock location, moves tank back 6-7" to accommodate a stretched wheelbase, comes complete with a skid plate, custom made per the order...freakin sweet right?! Well, it would be if they actually had any intention of filling the order...

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product/...Fuel-Cell.aspx

In February, BTF stated that it would likely be a 2 month lead time because they were backed up with the normal production orders, so I would have to wait in line. I checked back in April, same response, 2 months and same reasoning, we're just backed up. hmmm, seems they need a better operations manager...

At this point I should have looked else where, but they stated I could place the order and wait the 2 months, my choice. I understood the delays and in the beginning of May I placed the order, over the phone, CC info provided and everything. I never received an email confirmation as requested, but since they already stated it would be a couple of months I did not worry about it.

I gave it about a month a decided to call and confirm that the order was in and I was now looking at (now) a 1 month wait. Oh the things I heard on that call. First they tell me its on the board in the shop. Cool, good deal, I'm in line and I ask if I'm still looking at an additional month. The gal says, hold on, let me check. This is where things get interesting, she didn't actually put me on hold! So for the next 8min I get to hear the shop conversation regarding my "fawking cell". I'm no stranger to a shop floor and I can take it all with a grain of salt, but I will say based on the bits I overheard, there was no concern for my fuel cell. A little concerned but that's fine, I wouldn't expect the guy who is actually fabricating the tank to give a **** about me, the customer, that's management/customer service responsibility right? I would soon learn that they did not give a sh!t either.

I joked with the girl when she got back on the line and realized that I was never on hold. I assume that what I didn't hear was even more exciting than what I did hear because she froze like a deer in headlights when she realized what had happened. I wrote it off to BS from the guys on the floor and told her that as long as the mgr was on top of it, no worries and just laughed it off. After about 50 apologies she said that her boss would call me the next day to let me know where they were regarding the tank. I never got that call back...

Again, since I was well aware of the lead time, I waited another 2 weeks to touch base with them. I call today, get the same girl and have another laugh about my last call and she says the same thing, let me go check. This time I get a different story. "I'm sorry but my boss said that the parts for your tank are back ordered several months and he understands if you just want to cancel your order" uh, excuse me, WTF did you just say??? parts on back order?

Is anyone aware of an aluminum or steel shortage? What part of this could be back ordered??? There's no flux capacitor or blinker fluid required that I'm aware of? The description states that they start with sheet metal and fab the whole thing!

I may be wrong, but this looks like a clear, "go fawk yourself, we're not concerned about your business, so cancel the order if you don't feel like waiting indefinitely. We have no intention of filling your order". When I called them out on this and the BS of special order parts on back order, the gal states again, that they are just backed up with production orders. That's it end of story. "I'm sorry, so do you want to cancel the order?"

Speechless at this point, so I canceled the order, advised that the company she worked for was a complete fawking joke and she could tell her boss that they could read all about it on pirate4x4.com as well as the other forums I belong to. Flame on b!tches!

I guess they get enough business that they can pick and choose who they do work for. Well, I would like to personally thank them for wasting 6 weeks of my time. Unfortunately I'm not on the list of customers they give a sh!t about, so I'm out of luck. I'm sure Summit Racing or GenRight will appreciate my business. They actually manage real companies that have a clue about how to do business!
creeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Just curious, but why didnt you order it in February? Why wait 2 months to see if the wait time for the tank had went down some?

Interested to see what BTF says in regards to the situation. Seems like you have a legit reason to be pissed. I know I would be.

1982 Toyota 4x4 - [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774031&highlight="]The Dirt Squirrel[/URL]: Phase II underway: 4.3L CPI, TH350, Toy 2.28/D300 OTT doubler, D60/14B/5.13s, f150 RUFs, artec linked rear, Profender c/o's, 44" Skinny Boggers, fool hydro...

1992 Dodge D350 Cummins tow whore
1979 Toyota Hilux 2wd DD with a 2rz. Turbo coming soon.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 205355
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
Just curious, but why didnt you order it in February? Why wait 2 months to see if the wait time for the tank had went down some?

Interested to see what BTF says in regards to the situation. Seems like you have a legit reason to be pissed. I know I would be.
I'm a newb, will be the first to admit it. I waited till May because I was still weighing my options and was not ready to commit yet. From Feb to April I did a bunch of research on the different options and came to the conclusion, that based on my experience and plans (no cell in the bed of the CJ so I could keep the seat for the kids), the BTF tank was my best option, even with the 2 month lead. In hindsight, should have heeded the warnings I read here and elsewhere, but I didn't and am paying for it now.

I'll even admit had a few emails back and forth with their sales dept, who frankly told me 2 months and no commitment as to when it would be delivered. So, shame on me for placing the order, but I want to be clear that I'm not pissed about the 2 month wait, I know they didn't commit so I'm not holding them to that as they were very clear about it.

What pisses me off is...
1) What I was told was today is "The parts are back ordered for several months and then when we get them it could be a few months till we build the cell so my boss understands if you want to just cancel the order"

This basically says to me, "We have no plan to complete your tank so you might as well cancel the order.

2) The reason I was given for the delays was " parts were back ordered"

Again, self proclaimed newb here, but what goes into this tank other than Al and steel? The description states it is laser cut from sheet metal, then welded. So what special part do they have to order. I mean the whole point of buying their tank is that its custom made by them. From what I can see there is nothing but sheet metal and the 2 fittings for the filler nozzle and vent.

3) At what point were they going to call me and let me know that they tank was on back order because of these special parts?

The answer here is they had no intention of letting me know. This is clear

It's too bad for them really. I have a wicked jeep habit and good paying job. Until my fabrication skills improve I will be looking to companies like this to help out where my skills fall short. Seems to me that they would want business from guys like me that have sick need to build jeeps, but not necessarily the skill to hang out in the hardcore section! :-) guess not though...seems like a pretty shitty business plan on their part but I guess if they feel that hiring enough people to actually fill the orders is not a priority, nor is customer service a priority, then I will take my business else where.

At this point I just feel bad for the poor girl that failed to put me on hold and gave me the 1st hand account into the BTF shop and how they do business. Based on what I have seen from them so far, she's going to catch the brunt of this, although she did nothing wrong...just hit the wrong button on the phone...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 181451
call dave boyd when it comes to a fuel cell. great work ,very good customer service. he specializes in fuel cells.
hink311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 178499
only thing i can think of that would be backordered would be the fuel sending unit that would go in the tank.
fordtrucknut77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 205355
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucknut77 View Post
only thing i can think of that would be backordered would be the fuel sending unit that would go in the tank.
Agreed, but it doesn't come with one

"Another feature of this fuel cell is that the stock fuel level sender/fuel pump can be installed into this cell. A CJ cell is equipped with a square hole for a simple drop in install."

Pretty sure they just didn't want the work and fired a BS reason to push out the delivery another 4 months (that's actually what they said today it would likely take), then said they understood if I wanted to cancel the order. 6 months to build a fuel cell and skid? Really? Who the hell would wait that long??

Got word from a guy here locally who ordered a diff cover and after 5 months of nothing canceled the order. Ordered one from Ruff Stuff Specialties and had it in a couple days. There's a guy who appreciates the business.

I couldn't imagine cutting BTF a check to build a rig...
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 205355
some entertaining quotes from the BTF website...

"We have 10 employees working to provide our customers with quality parts and service."

HA!

"Our main focus is to provide affordable parts for the recreational trail wheeler while still maintaining the quality and strength that the hardcore crawler/racer would need."

Really, then why no concern when it comes to my order?

"Our experienced staff takes great pride in everything that leaves our doors."

...if we decide to ship it that is!

"If you're looking for a small metal tab to mount body panels on your tube chassis, pre-fabbed brackets to build a four-link suspension under your Jeep, or even custom machined steel and aluminum parts, Blue Torch Fab has knowledge and equipment to make it happen."

Just expect it to take the better part of a year to get them...on second thought, maybe we'll just cancel your order...

"Are you interested in helping to produce World Class Off-Road Parts? Can you weld? Do you have fabrication experience? If so, BTF is looking to hire new welders/fabricators ASAP! "

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/News/11/...ur-resume.aspx

Now this one made me spit my coffee out...someone should explain to their HR dept, if one exists, that part of the hiring process is actually hiring enough people to be able to complete the work on time...or at all...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 166232
That really sucks man. The best thing you can do now is chalk it up to lessson learned and tell everyone you know how they screwed ya.
qumanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 23047
That's a shame, I have ordered from them before without issues. But wow, you really got reamed....

Will have to put them in the "only if they are the last resort" pile....

What is it with providing basic customer service? After they found out you heard what was said while you were "on hold" they should have jumped through hoops to make you happy.....
Fishwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 84074
I have had bad dealings with blue torch.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25416
I wont order from them again either. I ordered a 14 bolt truss from them couple years back and it took right around six months for it to get to my door. I wasn't in a rush (until the end of those 6 months), but 6 months is just stupid.

They didnt even say sorry, shoot you think they would have sent a tshirt or something for the hassle.

lesson learned.

Follow my workout.

WOD
Hiapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 205355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwagon View Post
That's a shame, I have ordered from them before without issues. But wow, you really got reamed....

What is it with providing basic customer service? After they found out you heard what was said while you were "on hold" they should have jumped through hoops to make you happy.....
Yeah, you would have thought so but they flat out don't give a shit. A real company would have. Of course a real company wouldn't have let it go that far to begin with. And about the last resort comment, I wouldn't even do that. These chuckle heads aren't doing anything that a local shop couldn't do or shops like Ruff Stuff Specialties or GenRight if you don't have a local shop.

And since BTF has no intention of taking care of anyone that spends less than $20k, why even bother with the small parts. That list of shit on their website is bullshit anyway, if they never produce it and ship it.

The other issue is if the rest of their company is a joke, would you really trust their welds??? Fawk no...

I just smile knowing that all though these guys think they're the shit, give it 10 years, they'll be as broke and busted as MC Hammer, but with no chance of a come back tour.

Last edited by creeves; 06-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 205355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwagon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by qumanchew View Post
That really sucks man. The best thing you can do now is chalk it up to lessson learned and tell everyone you know how they screwed ya.
Yes sir, 750 hits here so far. 500 on my local forum and I'm posting on the jeep forum today.

What's crazy is most of the responses are from other people that have gotten screwed as well. Only one guy has told they actually got what they ordered and in a timely fashion. How these guys are still in business I do not know...
Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeves View Post
Yes sir, 750 hits here so far. 500 on my local forum and I'm posting on the jeep forum today.

What's crazy is most of the responses are from other people that have gotten screwed as well. Only one guy has told they actually got what they ordered and in a timely fashion. How these guys are still in business I do not know...
Same way ballistic fab is, lots of uneducated people out there that don't know any better. The simple truth is, that in today's world return customers are not your biggest source of revenue. As long as you can keep the new peeps buying then you are free to screw people over as you go along. The single ONLY thing we can do to stop the cycle is spread the word so that the new business slows down

Derek
You don't need to take off the cover, just stick a screwdriver in that 50amp 240V plug under the panel while licking your fingers and touching the door of the panel. If your pecker rips through your jeans it's 3 phase.

Last edited by Ho Shorts; 06-21-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Ho Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 117051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Shorts View Post
Same way ballistic fab is, lots of uneducated people out there that don't know any better. The simple truth is, that in today's world return customers are not your biggest source of revenue. As long as you can keep the new peeps buying then you are free to screw people over as you go along. The single ONLY thing we can do to stop the cycle is spread the word so that the new business slows down

Derek

I would not call them uneducated. They are human and screwed up. However last I checked they were building some of the baddest shit and industry first products way before most people were driving.

When you deal in such large volume and sell more shit then you have ever, there are going to be mistakes. I am not saying what happened is not right or should be passed under the rug, but chalk it up as a mistake. You received your money back. You are out sometime of waiting.

All I have to say before you write a vendor off your list is this, walk in there shoes for 1 day, be there for all the years and tears to be able to produce your part. The hours, days, years, money it took to be able to produce and supply this stuff.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 221674
Man, I don't mean to be blunt, but you need to get a life.. Wasting all your time and effort on something so ridiculous. I won't deny that the treatment of the situation was unjust.. But why waste all your time and energy on something like this? You never payed right? So it's not like they screwed you over, they were just to busy to get to your part. Your very large, time consuming part. Seems like you're more upset with yourself for letting them "take advantage" of you.. Than you are that they made a mistake. I can guarantee, if they had given you optimal, high quality service and you received your part a month EARLIER than promised, you wouldn't say a word about it, you wouldn't waste your time posting on some forum about it. You'd just blow it off like it was nothing, but the fact that they messed up, oh JESUS the world is ending!
mountainman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 183520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman123 View Post
Man, I don't mean to be blunt, but you need to get a life.. Wasting all your time and effort on something so ridiculous. I won't deny that the treatment of the situation was unjust.. But why waste all your time and energy on something like this? You never payed right? So it's not like they screwed you over, they were just to busy to get to your part. Your very large, time consuming part. Seems like you're more upset with yourself for letting them "take advantage" of you.. Than you are that they made a mistake. I can guarantee, if they had given you optimal, high quality service and you received your part a month EARLIER than promised, you wouldn't say a word about it, you wouldn't waste your time posting on some forum about it. You'd just blow it off like it was nothing, but the fact that they messed up, oh JESUS the world is ending!
Wow, what a troll.
Why waste your time to start an account to clutter up Pirate and whine about someone whining? Atleast he has a real reason.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 23047
Quote:
Go home troll.....or are you the shop foreman who he heard in the background while he was "on hold"?? Sounds like you are....

Ever deal with deadlines? Getting reassurances that after a 2 month wait you will get your part and then not getting it is certainly cause for concern. And what he heard on the phone is important for us to know as it shows what they really think of their customers, so we as a community and individuals can act accordingly.

We are a community and take care of each other. What he went through is certainly cause enough to let the community at large know about it.

Last edited by Fishwagon; 06-22-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Fishwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongyj View Post
However last I checked Dan was building some of the baddest shit and industry first products way before most people were driving.

All I have to say before you write a vendor off your list is this, understand that since Dan left, it's been a poor business that doesn't care about customer service.

FIFY
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 178200
BTF Sucks, I wouldn't order anything from them EVER AGAIN!!!!

I ordered a set of rear coil spring perches for a project I was working on from BTF. The spring perches came assembled (welded) and it looked like Ray Charles was the guy that built them. Not one peice of it was straight, and the welds were shitty at best. How do you fawk up putting together a keyed part??? I called and complained but that did me no good... I was basicly told to go pound sand.

SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 45481
It's only fitting that BTF "big timed" you and didn't work on your tank .. and now doesn't feel the need to come into this thread and protect there reputation..

Aerospace Tool&Die by trade..Don't call me a machinist!

Currently enduring the mother of all affirmative action hires!

TEAM CARWASH 2010 TTC CHAMPS
JeffHPK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 205355
Quote:
Well no shit, if they actually sent me the part or at least decent service I wouldn't complain. You must have a fuckin masters degree to have come to that conclusion.

How long do you think I spent on this? Being that I can type with more than one finger, it took all of 3-5 min a post. More than worth the effort to spread the word about a shit company so others wouldn't have to get screwed. I'd say the 1 hr I wasted posting here was well worth the 6 weeks of mine they wasted!

What a douche....

Last edited by creeves; 07-03-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 205355
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongyj View Post
I would not call them uneducated. They are human and screwed up. However last I checked they were building some of the baddest shit and industry first products way before most people were driving.

When you deal in such large volume and sell more shit then you have ever, there are going to be mistakes. I am not saying what happened is not right or should be passed under the rug, but chalk it up as a mistake. You received your money back. You are out sometime of waiting.

All I have to say before you write a vendor off your list is this, walk in there shoes for 1 day, be there for all the years and tears to be able to produce your part. The hours, days, years, money it took to be able to produce and supply this stuff.
I manage 20m in annual sales. I understand what it means to take and fill orders. I also understand customer service when it comes to missing deadlines. I've walked in those shoes for 10 years and I certainly don't treat my customers like this. This is why our company is successful and has happy, repeat customers...

Last edited by creeves; 07-03-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 76500
I have orderd multiple items from BTF and have never had an issue. Sorry you got drug through the coals man. In fact, i ordered the comp cut rears for my YJ a few months ago on a Thursday afternoon and they were at my office Monday mid morning.

RIP*01 TJ*98 ZJ*87 MJ*85 CJ7*83 SJ*79 CJ5**
kazzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 134960
Sounds like the "gal" I talked to when I placed my order. Did she sound like she smokes four packs of cigarettes a day? I also got the impression she came straight out of the trailer hood. I ended up talking to the owner/fabricator/shop manager/order taker and he acted like my little $2500 didn't mean shit to him. His words were we get orders this size multiple times a day why would we treat your order any different.

They got my last order from them.

Last edited by lockedup5; 07-22-2012 at 08:36 PM.
lockedup5 is offline   Reply With Quote