Advice on transaction - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Classifieds > Bad Sellers, Disputes, etc...
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 466
Send a message via ICQ to Curtis
Advice on transaction

I sold a truck to a guy back in January. I was told by the DMV the thing was smog exempt, AND I never had to smog the thing in the three years I owned it. So, I sold it as smog exempt. Also, the day the guy came to take it I had put diesel in the fuel tank by accident (don't ask). So we had to tinker with it until I finally figured out what I did. I drained the tank it it ran like a champ. Still I knocked $200 off the price and sold it for $300 because I just wanted it gone. I also told him I would take it back if he ran into problems with smogging it. He came by the next day and gave my wife the $300 and drove it over 100 miles home without a problem.

A few days later he called and said it had to be smogged. I called the DMV and was told the deal was the different county. Whatever. I called the guy, left messages and sent PMs here on Pirate telling him I would take the thing back. All he had to do was let me know what and when he wanted to do it. Months went by. I ASSUMED he was just going to keep it. Then a few days ago he sent me a PM here on Pirate threatening me with a lawyer. I told him I would take the damn thing back but I couldn't read his mind. All he had to do was let me know what the hell was going on. He couldn't let months go by and think I would know what was happening.

So, we worked out that I would take it back, and I would pay the extra $170 he paid to have a new exhaust system put on. Now he informs me the thing is not in working condition because of other work he's done to it. I say FUCK that. He took it and drove it home without a problem. I was driving the thing without any problems before he bought it. He takes it home and breaks it and now wants me to buy it back AND pay to drag it back to my home?

Am I wrong to tell him it has to be in the same condition it was when he left here or to take a hike?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 32466
Send a message via Yahoo to Greatlakeoffroad
Sold as is, period. Sorry I wouldn't take it back however once sold I would not be telling someone if this happens or that happens I will buy it back either. Your choice although it doesn't sound like he was really concerned about the "supposed problem" as it has been months and now he wants his money back since it now does not run.

Don't Forget Your Discount enter Pirate10 to get your 10% discount off
Greatlakeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 72186
Most states only have a 30 day implied warranty,he's already well past that. Besides,if he only paid $300 for the truck how's he going to justify paying more money for a lawyer to fight a losing battle. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
BIGBLOCKBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24747
Since the transaction took place in Orland the local muni court would be where this would land- IF it goes anywhere at all. As the poster above said-don't lose any sleep over. Mostly a head fake by the buyer I bet.
Backncardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2463
So if I bought a truck from a smog exempt area such as yours, and then drove it back to a place where I knew I needed to get it smogged, would I come back and piss and moan to you? Hell no. Tell the guy to pound sand. A $300 truck is a $300 truck, what does he think he's getting a new one with a warranty? If he's such a brokedick that he's crying over $300, do you actually think he has the $ to hire a lawyer at $125+ an hour?

Last edited by pmurf1; 06-11-2006 at 07:47 PM.
pmurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 42217
He is on his own man. I dont think there is a thing he can do about it either. He took it from an exempt county to his, so that s his deal. If he trashed it and wants hs money back tough. just laugh at him next time you hear from him.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31761
1st of all,everyone i know in orland still has to smog there vehicles.2nd of all,in california the law is the seller is responsable for the smog period.BUT,if that guy wanted to return it not running months later i would tell him to get fu#*ed.a lawyer over $500,i doubt it.
stretchnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12578
Tough shit for him...if he really wanted you to take it back he would have contacted you before he fucked it up. He broke it, now he wants you take the blame.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 65809
calif anything older then 1975 is suppose to be Smog exempt.. i know where i live it is . he took the truck altered it and now it dont run i wouldnt pay for the extra work he did to it that was HIS DOING .. he expected you to take it back he shouldnt have done a thing to it .... now it dont run he really wants nothing to do withh it ... a 300 dollar truck he drove home thats un heard of i wouldant worry about a thing ... juss currious what kinda truck yr model was it??
Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11362
Send a message via AIM to ih4x4 Send a message via Yahoo to ih4x4
this truck? /forum/vehicles-trailers-sale/428727-ford-f-350-2wd.html you are still required to smog it when you transfer the title even if your in a no smog county, and the smog cert is only good for 90 days, since its been a few months and the truck is broke I would tell him its his problem now, make sure you have givin dmv a release of liabilty so your not liable for the truck,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler
calif anything older then 1975 is suppose to be Smog exempt.. i know where i live it is . he took the truck altered it and now it dont run i wouldnt pay for the extra work he did to it that was HIS DOING .. he expected you to take it back he shouldnt have done a thing to it .... now it dont run he really wants nothing to do withh it ... a 300 dollar truck he drove home thats un heard of i wouldant worry about a thing ... juss currious what kinda truck yr model was it??
Old 06-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 63061
Where is the (city) truck now. Ill offer him $300 and ill pick it up if its close enought to me.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 466
Send a message via ICQ to Curtis
The truck is in Vallejo, CA. Contact him here at

dave E
Old 07-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
next time you sell trucks that cheap, call me 1st

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
-Awesome web development for your business. www.mudnworks.com mud@mudnworks.com
Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 36711
Damn bro, I will second that... I would of given 500 maybe even some more for a clean pick up like that... Tell him to FAWK OFF.. I consider myself lucky when I find deals like that........ Take care man, and dont even worry about that clown... He is just trying to screw the pooch on this deal....
Nor Cal Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
Nice old truck. His bad for bieng a jerk. Sleep easy ,you gave him a good deal.

Bulletproof, complete propane kits for carbureted offroad and street vehicles.
Please visit our website for details or call with any questions. 480-430-8033

Free shipping on complete kits!

www.gotpropane.com

Check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gotpropane?
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Porch Monkey

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
don't sweat it, if it does go to court, inform you offered to buy back the truck, but it was not in the same condition it was in when you sold it, and charge him for a new motor or to fix the problem. sue him for it, whatever. tell him to cut off his exhaust system, and keep it, you don't want it. you aren't going to buy it. what kind/year of truck is it and where is it? do you need help recovering it. and what repairs did he have done to make it not run?

I had taken 300 off a car, because they had said they would smog it. I Figured I paid them 300 for a smog pretty much. it was a acura integra. kid told me to put 500 on the purchase price, to save him on taxes. ok. A week goes by, the kid can't get it to pass tsi test, idle is too high. I informed him I put a master cylinder on it, and I might have lost the gasket, put a gasket on it and get it smogged. figured it was fixed. 2 months later the mom calls me up and threatens "the next step" well as far as anybody knows I sold it to her for 500, I would be glad to give her back her 500 for the car. But I told her to bring it to me, and I would fix it and get it smogged., well she lied to me, there was no gasket put on, and they said they installed a new brake booster. bullshit, original booster, never been touched. I still got it smogged for her, fixed the trans linkage just cause I was nice, and called her up and charged her 100 for the smog. she didn't bitch, i told her I would take care of the smog, but I informed her, she lied to me and owes me money.. all happy now. Buyers are pieces of shit just like wenzels sometimes.

I was nice but could have fucked them in court, with fraud hanging over her head. you always have the upper hand especially with only with 300 bucks in the deal. tell them to pound sand, or take you to court, after recording the "I will offer you your money back" and even send them a certified letter offering the same just to cover your butt.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24747
Old saying-Buyers are liars.
Backncardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1282
He bought that truck for $300, you should be the one bitching. Thats a steal!I'd tell him to FO!!
ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 22565
tell him to fawk off, that truck would sell 4 $1000 out here, a steal 4 $300
NCtoy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 81461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger
He bought that truck for $300, you should be the one bitching. Thats a steal!I'd tell him to FO!!
I agree, feel bad that you had to sell such a nice truck to such a jerk.
1969 CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote