BAD SELLER Shupee (Shupee's 4x4) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Classifieds > Bad Sellers, Disputes, etc...
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 32069
Send a message via AIM to _peteyg
BAD SELLER Shupee (Shupee's 4x4)

I bought a used ARB from this guy on Ebay last month as part of his going out of business sale. He advertised it as "Working when removed" without revealing that it was actually broken. It had a broken cross shaft, which had spit out a 2" piece of the shaft and wasted the case. How he could NOT HAVE NOTICED the sheared off ring gear bolts, the wasted case, and the piece of shaft falling out of the diff when it was opened is beyond me. But ok. I contacted him. No response. Then I contacted him again with a somewhat less polite tone. THAT got a response. He promised to send some repair parts. Never got here. I gave him 10 days to send them before I asked, politely, where they were. No response. OK, fine. Caveat Emptor. So I fixed it myself. But then...move on to the next issue.

He advertised it as "For 4.10 and lower gears" and then, when prosepctive customers asked if it would work with 4.56 or 4.88, he responded with YES. Unfortunately, he lied about the application. It's a 3.73 and higher case. This means that he MISREPRESENTED the sale. AS-IS does NOT cover lying your ass off. I can live with the fact that the locker was broken and mangled. But to go through everything and THEN find out it is the wrong locker?? No way. Too much.

I filed a greivance with Ebay. THAT got a response. Duh.

His response? "As-is means as-is. Enjoy your negative feedback." Whatever. As-is does not mean misreprentation is ok because I put "as-is"

I can deal with your stupid ebay comment (and if you were so righteous, why'd you leave NEUTRAL feedback instead of negative?). I guess we'll see how Ebay deals with misrepresentation.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 29767
Bummer.I also have had trouble on ebay. Don't look for much help for them.
Good luck.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Since Shupee has been a long time member here I'm leaving this. In fact I met him a few years back. Most times E-bay ads unrelated to PBB are not allowed FYI.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
what seems fishy to me is that your ok with a "wasted" part but not ok with it being the wrong application. if the locker is "wasted" what diffrence is it being for the wrong gear set ? both would render it useless.

what axle is it for ? and how much did you pay for it ?
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 32069
He came through and gave me a partial refund, which is, I guess, better than nothing.

But to answer your questions:

Issue one:

I recieved the locker with a broken cross shaft. The main shaft was broken into 3 pieces. Two of the pieces were still in the case, and one had fallen out and wobbled out the pin hole that the shaft is supposed to ride in snugly. There was almost .500 clearance after the hole wobbled out.

Also, it was missing shims and a thrust washer. That's no biggie, though.

Several of the bolt holes for the case half that the ring gear bolts go through to hold the case together were very wobbled out and damaged, and there was obvious damage to the outside of the case. It was obvious that the piece of cross shaft that exited the case played merry hell with the internals of the diff while it was still turning.

Issue 2:

After discovering that the locker had significant problems, I contacted him and asked for half my money back. He refused, and instead offered to send a replacement "parts case" he had on the shelf. I agreed. I waited 10 days before asking, "Hey, where's the case?" No response, so I escalated. THAT got a response, as it always seems to. His reply?

"Enjoy your negative feedback"

hmph. That's when I called him out here.

Issue 3:

After deciding that I would never get my money back and I would have to live with getting fucked, I fixed the locker myself, and bought repair parts. Then, after getting the locker back into good operating condition, I found that it was the wrong application. It's a Dana 44 3.73 and higher locker, not a 4.10 and lower as was advertised. It will never work in my 4.88 application, and they don't make thick 4.88 reverse cut gears for the D44. THAT'S what pissed me off. He lied about the application. I never would have bought and repaired that piece of junk in the first place if I had known from the beginning that it would not work for me. He even answered questions about it assuring someone else that it was the correct application.

So anyway, lesson learned. He did come through with half of my money back, and I accepted, so that means it's resolved. I'll try to resell it now that it's fixed, and maybe I can get most of my money back.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1602
So how much did you origionally pay for the ARB?

*SOLD*
75 Ramcharger 440, blah, blah
*SOLD*

66 Welder Bill't Bronco Rockbuggy
06 CTD
87 Buick Grand National X2
65 Vista Cruiser GN Turbo V6 powered
440-fide Ramcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2407
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=474648&page=2

Sounds like he did what he could to make it right. Now you're compaining about the "free arb" that you're trying to resell. What's the whole story?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=474648&page=2

Sounds like he did what he could to make it right. Now you're compaining about the "free arb" that you're trying to resell. What's the whole story?

hmmm that sheds a little better light
KYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77
not really, he still sold him the wrong appy that was obviuosly busted.

this thread buyer said he got HALF his money back, which is it, all or half?

how much did it cost you?

how much to repair?

on top of that he still doesnt have the right appy, so now his has to spend more money to get the right one.
Not to mention I would like to know WHEN he got his $$$ back. Hell, if I knew the wrath of the PBB was going to come down on me I would give him his $$$ back and throw in an extra $100 just to make sure he was happy.

Timing is everything.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
I've had multiple transactions with Ken over the years. Nothing but great and timely service.
BIGELOW MOTORSPORTS #4413
DOUG38S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 32069
I paid $400 + shipping for the locker, and another $75 for repair parts.

He refunded $200 (today - 7/7), and I resold the locker for $200, so in reality, I'm still out of pocket $100. So, no, I don't have a "free" ARB; I have a LockRight in an open carrier. Not exactly the same thing...

I had ORIGINALLY asked for the half refund before we ever even escalated, and he basically told me to screw off. That's when I took it up a level. So really, we're just right back where we started.

But it is settled. I accepted the partial refund offer, and so it is now a done deal.

I'm sure Ken is a great guy up close and personal. But this deal went south from the very start. It is too bad that it had to wind up like this.

Last edited by _peteyg; 07-07-2006 at 03:31 PM.
_peteyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19323
you accepted a partial refund to settle it and then sold it to recoup the rest, since you sold it for less than you had coming back and lost money, that would be your fault and this thread should not even exist
RCrocs Class 3 Team #304
Fullsizexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9402
refund

if you had bought this off this board it would be one thing --but its off e-bay --be thank-ful you got anything or help --i buy and sell on e-bay --have been screwed several times --by not getting my part or a refund or even returned e-mail --ken seemed to be fair --be happy --tread lightly on e-bay