Fawking UPS - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Classifieds > Bad Sellers, Disputes, etc...
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 72794
Fawking UPS

I purchased a transfer case from someone on the list a few weeks ago. After waiting for about a week for them to ship it, the finally did, only to have UPS rip the box open and steal my transfer case.
Tracking Detail

Your package has experienced an exception.

Tracking Number: *********************************
Type: Package
See description below
Shipped to: ELK GROVE, CA, US
Shipped or Billed on: 01/08/2007
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 87.00 Lbs

Package Progress
Location Date Local Time Description
WEST SACRAMENTO,
CA, US 01/15/2007 4:47 P.M. MERCHANDISE IS MISSING. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH ADDITIONAL DETAILS.;ALL MERCHANDISE MISSING, EMPTY CARTON WAS DISCARDED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH DETAILS OF THE DAMAGE
01/15/2007 4:13 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
WEST SACRAMENTO,
CA, US 01/13/2007 2:57 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
SAN PABLO,
CA, US 01/13/2007 1:03 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
SAN PABLO,
CA, US 01/12/2007 3:41 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
ROANOKE,
VA, US 01/09/2007 3:49 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
ROANOKE,
VA, US 01/08/2007 10:39 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
CHARLOTTESVILLE,
VA, US 01/08/2007 8:00 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/08/2007 6:36 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 01/08/2007 4:54 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 01/22/2007 9:21 P.M. EST (USA)

The seller/shipper did not buy insurance and UPS won't talk to me because I was not the shipper. I'm typically a trusing sole, so I don't think the seller is trying to rip me off, but I sure as heck don't think I should eat all the money I forked out for the case. He siad he spent all morning on the phone with UPS to no avail.
When you complain to UPS about damaged foods, they want to see the package - I think I'm entitled to the same respect. If the box got ripped apart and a 90# transfer case fell out, you would think they could find it or at least haved the decency to show me the box.

Apparently, UPS is willing to cover the pacakge for $100, but I spent WELL over that for the transfer case and the seller has way more than that invested in the TC.
What do you think? Should I press the seller to reimburse me or what?

Damn - this sucks!

I'm more pissed at UPS than the seller, but UPS won't talk to me.
Anyhow - anyone got a DANA300 for sale?
lennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 32466
Send a message via Yahoo to Greatlakeoffroad
Did you pay for added insurance? Was insuring the package discussed? Here's how UPS works, they self insure the 1st hundred, so if you would have put more money on insurance an outside insurance company would have investigated the claim. But since it is only the $100 self insured they won't look at it twice but instead just pay out the money. So in fact it is not UPS that ever inspects those boxes but it is an outside insurance company. Bottom line the t-case is gone and UPS will never find it............ Amazing how that works a t-case got lost! We have sets of b-locks and large packages of covers going to vendors get misplaced quite frequently, amazing how the expensive ones always get lost not the package w/ 2 spring perches in it for $15.

Don't Forget Your Discount enter Pirate10 to get your 10% discount off
Greatlakeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
In memory of Kayla

Member # 38890
Who packaged the t case? If the seller packaged it, then I think it's his or her responsibility. If a 90# tcase is just put in a cardboard box IS GONNA come out before it get to shipping point. How was the tcase packaged? Regardless, I'll bet your transfer case shows up somewhere between shipping point to destination.
BOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 72794
Packing and insurance

We paid no extra for insurance and the seller swears it was packed well.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 73452
Its not the sellers fault. You should have payed the extra 10 bucks for insurance.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Apprentice

Member # 56692
yup, shippings like an extra dollar a hundred. Well worth it on high ticket items. But he should reimburse you anyways.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 72794
Insurance

I'm not trying to rip anyone off and I do agree that the shipment should have been insured, but then I just assumed that it would be insured. Anything I sell and ship is ALWAYS insured, so as to avoid this type of situation. My bad for not verifying.

It sounds like everyone is writing UPS off - ba$tard$. They're the one at fault.

I already no longer ship with fedex for a similar reason. I guess I'm down to good old Uncle Sam and DHL.

I have a good mind to go over to the shipping hub in W. Sac, which is not too far away and talk to the manager. And look and see if there is a Jeep in the lot.

I really thing someone frmo UPS opened it and stole it. I KNOW that's what happened at FEDEX, but I couldn't prove it.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23164
I sold the transfer case to lenny.
I talked to UPS again this morning. They said they are not even going to reimburse me the 100 dollars because of poor packaging. I politley told them that was not acceptable. I wanted to see the box. They are re-opening the case. I should hear from them today or tomorrow. The way it stands now the most we can be compensated is 100 bucks they won"t even reimburse shipping. It cost me 81.66 to ship so I made 193.34 off deal. I packaged the case in a double wall 2000 per square inch breaking strength box. I wrapped the case in 3 inches of bubble wrap then wrapped numerous times with shrinkwrap I then put in box surrounded with foam that expands around package I went 1 step futher and wrapped box with 1 whole roll of duct tape. I put 4 heavy stickers on each side of the box. OK package shipped from va to ca.It was on truck for delivery and got lost? WTF I did my part and the buyer did his part. The only party that did not was ups. How the f_ _ k do you loose a 87 pound transfer case on your truck BULLSHIT. Now the guy has to go the trouble of finding another case and I am out of the money yes we should of purchased extra insurrance but why should we pay extra for a service I am already paying for TO GET THE PACKAGE DELIVERED. I am really sorry it worked out this way but out of my hands.
alsoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72794
Fawking UPS

Thanks Al.
I'm going to head over the UPS distribution center this morning with the tracking info and this in hand.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...e_process.html
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11982
Just trying to help locate the case here, but was all the gear oil drained from the case? Also did it at all smell like gear oil? If it did, they may have it in there hazardous materials room. A friend of mine tried to ship a torque converter and it first showed up as missing then 3 weeks later it was returned in a specail bag. Hopefully that is the case here. Good luck.
InstaGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 72794
UPS Business hours10

10 - 6. I will have to drive back @ lunch. Thanks for the info on the haz mat room.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 52190
Another thing, the package weighed 87lbs.?

I don't remember exactly, but I think its 70 lbs. and the driver does not have to deliver/lift the package. He can choose to request assistance from a second person.

If he went back to the hub with the package still on the truck, they could have pulled it off and it is sitting somewhere in the hub. Technically being lost.

That happened to me one time, a large package that was not on the truck and it was supposed to be, was delivered on the special delivery truck at a later date.
Sturbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 72794
I just got back from the UPS Distribution center. the cse is not there, but they did agree to pay the full claim, so it looks like Al will get his shipping refunded and I'll get my money back.

I'm still a little pissed, though.
If anyone comes across a dana300 with u-bolt flanges in the near future, it might be mine.
It got lost somewhere between Virgina and Ca, but most likely disappeared in Sacramento.

THANKS EVERYONE and I did learn that from now on, I buy or make sure a shipper buys insurance.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
In memory of Kayla

Member # 38890
Glad it worked out for you both, and UPS came through for you in reimbursement.
BOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 13786
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyv View Post
I just got back from the UPS Distribution center. the cse is not there, but they did agree to pay the full claim, so it looks like Al will get his shipping refunded and I'll get my money back.

THANKS EVERYONE and I did learn that from now on, I buy or make sure a shipper buys insurance.

I hope you got that in writing.
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
With the progress of the scans, it seems pretty clear that it disappeared in West Sacramento or on the truck. I worked local sort at UPS in College, all of the scans are normal and I only question the out for delivery scan, because a loader may have realized what it was, stole it and scanned the package in to try and eliminate suspiscion. Loader, driver or a skillful guesser at a stop (not likely)
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 37016
UPS does suck. sent out an x-mas present from so cal to washington on the 3rd of december and it just showed up there on the 12th of jan. On the other hand I did make a grand off of the insurance for a lost package before. Sent it out with $1200 of insurance for a $200 part and it got lost so I made some money. took about 12weeks to get but I did get it.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
Send a message via AIM to actionpaintball
It is at least insured up to $100 (standars and included with all shipments)

I always ship with extra insurance-even my ebay items.

Best way to ship a tcase?--> Heavy Duty Rubbermaid container and zip screw the lid on-I have never had a problem shipping transmissions or transfer cases in them and never had an item come up missing.

In this case-you should get $100 through the shipper-all claims are initiated by the shipper.

Make sure they file a claim with "lost items" :
All untagged and open box items go to holding facility-it happens with tires alot and items can/do get found. Try to send them a picture of a similar transfer case and list the tag number (ie NP205 ect...)
actionpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
krb

Member # 7692
Did UPS know the contents of the package?Might be what the driver was looking for.
How the hell can a TC fall out of a box and no one sees it?

Last edited by krb; 01-27-2007 at 09:55 AM.
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 50123
Send a message via AIM to ProJunkRacing
I don't Ship Usps As they burned me like 4 times' . Now only Ups . They have been Good , and I always Insure it . Even If it is out of my pocket for this very reason. If it is lost then who is to blame ya know? Usps Lost a part of mine last year . Box showed up empty with holes in it . WTF . That shrink wrap and shirts etc to secure it were there but the box was empty. Good thing I insured it .
ProJunkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 67882
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstaGator View Post
Just trying to help locate the case here, but was all the gear oil drained from the case? Also did it at all smell like gear oil? If it did, they may have it in there hazardous materials room. A friend of mine tried to ship a torque converter and it first showed up as missing then 3 weeks later it was returned in a specail bag. Hopefully that is the case here. Good luck.
Well I bougth a steering boxs off ebay. and went by ups. and I guess the box had fluid in it and messed the whole boxs up. it was leaking all over the place But thats why I guess THEY put the package in a large boxs, and it came pretty fast

But good luck
Eric

Last edited by fj40forlife; 01-28-2007 at 10:35 PM.
fj40forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 29233
I shipped a 3 on the colum chevy trans with bell to somewhere few years back i built a little pallet for it then taped a cardboard box to it when ups came to pick it up they picked it up by the cardboard box that i taped to the crate.

I knew at the moment the trans was going to have a ruff ride.

But i had included the buyers address taped it onto the trans incase the packaging came apart they would still know where to send it to .
88K1500TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
Send a message via AIM to actionpaintball
I clean the transmission housing (or bellhousing) and write in permanent marker the info/address, AND UPS tracking number (1Z2a2y41XXXXXXX). That has saved my shipments a few times and only takes an extra minute to do. If it gets out of the box-any UPS idiot with a handheld scanner can type the tracking number in and find out where its supposed to be going.

I have not had any pop out of the rubbermaid conatiners yet...
actionpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 72794
My case showed up!

Luckily, my buddy's brother is a big wig with UPS.
He was able to have someone track down the case and I finally got it delivered today.

I didn't realize the case had the short rear ouput (no speedo).
I need a speedo for the ECU.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 48501
Glad you got your case finally.

I bought a D300 from a guy about 4 hours away. They shipped it FedEx and was supposed to be here in 2 days. Shipper dropped it off Thursday, and was on a truck at the local terminal for delivery Saturday. Checked the tracking number and it was scheduled for Monday. Monday after work, no box (8:00pm) Checked the tracking number, scheduled for Tuesday. Tuesday after work, no box. Checked it, still scheduled for Tuesday. So I call. They used their website to track the package, and tell me what I just read Then they tell me to wait one more day. Wed, after work, no box. I call one more time. They told me they deliver up to 8:00pm (this was around 8:30pm).

They transfered me to someone in the local terminal. They then looked up the tracking number and told me its on the truck (it has been on this truck for 4 days now, the driver must have had a massive hangover). The woman told me she was going to investigate a little bit and get back to me. An hour later, she called and told me the package was damaged, and was undeliverable in that state. She is going to repackage it and ship it out in the morning.

Thursday, after work, I have a beaten and battered box with a D300 halfway hanging out of it on my porch. Boy, am I glad they repackaged it
CameronZuki is offline   Reply With Quote