Beware of brug33 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Classifieds > Bad Sellers, Disputes, etc...
Notices

Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20355
Beware of brug33

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=jeep

Late January, around the 20th, (going off shipping invoice) I bought a 4.2, ba-10, and t-case all from what I was told was pulled from an 88 YJ from brug33 in Amarillo, Texas. I'm putting it in an 88 YJ so this is cool. He told me that everything ran great when he had it and pulled it to do a v-8 swap. He had it listed with axles, springs and drive shafts, as well as the drive train for $500 and all I wanted was the engine. He didn't want to split up the engine, trans, and t-case if possible so I offered $400 and told him to keep the springs, axles, and drive shafts which he accepted. I sent him a USPS money order for $400 and after he received it, it was shipped. He was very accommodating about shipping and palletized it and took it to the shipping company. It cost me $300 to have it shipped to me in California. So far all is going smoothly.

Now the problems start. When we unwrapped the engine we noticed that it had v-belts instead of the serpentine belt that came out of my 88 YJ. The number on the block showed an 86 built engine rather than the 88 he claimed it was. So far I'm ok with it thinking that it might just be an 87 rather than an 88. We can still make it work. I was down with pneumonia for a couple of weeks and just got the engine put in a couple days ago. We checked all fluids and fired it up when we heard a knocking sound coming from the lower end. We shut it down, rechecked all fluids and everything looked good. Fired it up again and knocking was still there. I trailered it to my smog shop to see what could be done and even if it would pass smog. They took a look at it and determined two rods were knocking, lots of lifter noise, and we went ahead to see if it would at least pass smog which ended up failing miserably and being a gross polluter.

I called brug33 and explained the situation and asked what, if anything, he could do for me. He told me that everything was fine when he pulled it and basically it was my problem. I told him that I didn't think that two rods could go bad in shipping and that he sold me a junk engine. He said that I got a good deal and he came down from $500 to my offer of $400. Yes, I did pay $400 but he KEPT the axles, springs and drive shafts! If I wanted a blown engine I could have paid a HELL of a lot less than $400 for it! I'm thinking that I would have been better off with him stealing the $400 and NOT shipping me the engine so I wouldn't have had to pay $300 more to ship that junk. He says that I got a good deal!? I can't even be sure of the trans and t-case being any good at this point and if I open them up to check them out, how much cost, time, and effort is that going to take?

My beef is this. I paid exactly what he asked, $400. He got everything he asked for. I got a junk engine that is not what I paid for or asked for. He said I got a good deal. How? He says he's not going to do anything for me. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with this and get into "he said-she said" bulls%#t. I realize that I'm out $700 with shipping because I trusted someone on their word. All that I can do now is warn others about how crooked and calculating this guy is. He's not to be trusted.

Thanks for listening.
Bugman

Last edited by Bugman; 02-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Marion Cobretti

Member # 40131
I'd be pissed for one main reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
He told me that everything ran great when he had it and pulled it to do a v-8 swap.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 74967
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post
I'd be pissed for one main reason:

I'd be pissed also. The only time I had a problem with something I sold on here, I took care of it. Wasn't my fault, but I still did the guy right by replacing what I sold him. Brug33 is over on Texas4x4.org with his build thread.
Formula Toy #509- "Lady Bug"
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20355
Total scam artist

Remember when I said I couldn't trust him on even the trans and t-case working? Check out his build thread here. Trans stuck in 1st gear? I rest my case. Total scam artist.
http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=30805
Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 121008
And it did run great, I drove it all of 50 miles. I know nothing of whats inside the engine, I did no tech inspection. It ran fine and still does... What do you want for $400, maybe buy you a new engine? Ran into the same problem with a quad and ended up buying a guy a used engine. I can't guarantee used parts. Put my name out there, don't buy from me if thats the case. Better yet ask questions...I would have gladly tore into the engine to check anything you wanted. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 62119
I don't rant and rave very often and I' like to keep piece with everyone. So...When you buy something used on here, craigslist, or where ever, it's sold "AS IS"!!! I know I don't nor does anybody else take their time to tare down a motor and inspect it (don't even think about lying about it). Everyone on here sells their junk AS IS! There is a lot of transactions going on here in pirate and bet 99.99% of them are on a "AS IS" bases.

I personally that jeep ran like a top! I mean it ran and drove like a dream! Yes it was a '88 YJ. I was going to buy it but I needed to spend money on something else. I know for a fact it was sold AS IS!! None of us are autozone or your local dealership so parts don't come with warranties. I hate to here that it had a problem but I will guaranty it ran GREAT when pulled. Brugg bought that jeep as is also. So the motor being a 86 and him not knowing. Come on, it's a jeep not a matching numbers road runner worth 50K.

I think flagging someone for this is crap and it shows your character. He did tell you it ran good and IT DID!! So grow up and find another for that price. You won't find another that cheap. You might lie and say you did but you won't.
This is a Pirate dispute not a Tesas4x4 one.

Last edited by court-low; 02-22-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20355
And there it goes...the pissing match. Hell, I can get a bunch of buddies out here to do the same thing and vouch for me but I'll do this myself and not ask someone stick up for me. If your word meant anything you wouldn't have to stoop to this level brug33. Your character speaks volumes and you guys sticking up for him are just lowering yourselves down to his level. When you associate yourself with punks like that people pay attention and hopefully think twice about dealing with YOU. Look...brugg33 stole my money and misrepresented what he sold. He so much has admitted that by his response. OK, I get that. He must be feeling SOME amount of guilt to stoop to the level of asking people to come on the board and lie for him. All you little fellas that run with him SHOULD post up so we can see who not to deal with and avoid problems. If you little fellas who run with him want to spew forth your dribble, continue on. Those with any character know the right answer and will decide for themselves whether they'll do business with punks like you. I've done my job and alerted people of a ripoff and scammer. Alright, I've said my piece and I'm done.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
Biggest problem with "ran great" is that to some hillbillys that means - sure it sounds like there are marbles in the motor but it starts up and runs down the road.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 62119
Ran Great to me means I would drive it as a daily drive to and from work everyday. Doesn't mean that someone forgot to put oil in it when he installed the motor and was reeving it up and spun a rod bearing.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 140945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
And there it goes...the pissing match. Hell, I can get a bunch of buddies out here to do the same thing and vouch for me but I'll do this myself and not ask someone stick up for me. If your word meant anything you wouldn't have to stoop to this level brug33. Your character speaks volumes and you guys sticking up for him are just lowering yourselves down to his level. When you associate yourself with punks like that people pay attention and hopefully think twice about dealing with YOU. Look...brugg33 stole my money and misrepresented what he sold. He so much has admitted that by his response. OK, I get that. He must be feeling SOME amount of guilt to stoop to the level of asking people to come on the board and lie for him. All you little fellas that run with him SHOULD post up so we can see who not to deal with and avoid problems. If you little fellas who run with him want to spew forth your dribble, continue on. Those with any character know the right answer and will decide for themselves whether they'll do business with punks like you. I've done my job and alerted people of a ripoff and scammer. Alright, I've said my piece and I'm done.

But but you got a killer deal on a fucking junk motor. It ran GREAT just had rods knocking and shit. Yeah brug33 knew he was fuckin you and probably giggled when he sold his boat anchor to a guy out of state so he wouldn't get his ass kicked for selling a "great running motor". Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by brug33 View Post
And it did run great, I drove it all of 50 miles. I know nothing of whats inside the engine, I did no tech inspection. It ran fine and still does... What do you want for $400, maybe buy you a new engine? Ran into the same problem with a quad and ended up buying a guy a used engine. I can't guarantee used parts. Put my name out there, don't buy from me if thats the case. Better yet ask questions...I would have gladly tore into the engine to check anything you wanted. Thanks!

You sold him a assembly that you said functioned properly, not parts. No way in hell would you have offered to tear an engine down that you were selling for 400, there was no reason to ask to tear it down as he took your work that it worked properly. If you lied about that you would have lied about tearing it down and what you found

How in the fuck do you know that it runs fine now

Refund him the 400 bucks, he eats the 300 for shipping, and quit being a scumbag
Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30359
Bugman, do you have a link to the for sale ad where you bought this or was it all in PMs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by court-low View Post
I don't rant and rave very often and I' like to keep piece with everyone. So...When you buy something used on here, craigslist, or where ever, it's sold "AS IS"!!! I know I don't nor does anybody else take their time to tare down a motor and inspect it (don't even think about lying about it). Everyone on here sells their junk AS IS! There is a lot of transactions going on here in pirate and bet 99.99% of them are on a "AS IS" bases.

I personally that jeep ran like a top! I mean it ran and drove like a dream! Yes it was a '88 YJ. I was going to buy it but I needed to spend money on something else. I know for a fact it was sold AS IS!! None of us are autozone or your local dealership so parts don't come with warranties. I hate to here that it had a problem but I will guaranty it ran GREAT when pulled. Brugg bought that jeep as is also. So the motor being a 86 and him not knowing. Come on, it's a jeep not a matching numbers road runner worth 50K.

I think flagging someone for this is crap and it shows your character. He did tell you it ran good and IT DID!! So grow up and find another for that price. You won't find another that cheap. You might lie and say you did but you won't.
This is a Pirate dispute not a Tesas4x4 one.

When you sell something as-is you STATE IT IN YOUR AD. When you sell something under "runs good" it is assumed that the engine does in fact run good, and that the buyer should be able to install said engine and use it immediately with no further work. If I sold you a set of tires and you found they had nail holes all around, would you eat the $50 to patch them since you're assuming they were "as-is"?

"AS-IS" is NOT the same thing as "NO WARRANTY". If the buyer installs the engine and it blows up 100 miles down the road that is "no warranty". If the buyer installs the engine only to find it is already blown that is JUNK.

Also, it doesn't matter if he paid ONE DOLLAR for all of it...if he bought it under the guise of runs good and it turns out to be junk it's NOT a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by court-low View Post
Ran Great to me means I would drive it as a daily drive to and from work everyday. Doesn't mean that someone forgot to put oil in it when he installed the motor and was reeving it up and spun a rod bearing.
You do have a point here... It is buyer's word against seller's word as far as when the knock started. The seller is welcome to explain/defend himself...and so far isn't looking that credible.

Quote:
Texan. Saved my neck twice... once after he was dead.

Last edited by mudtoy67; 02-22-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
The original ad was linked at the very top of the thread. In case brug33 deletes it here is a copy and paste:

$500 for all of it, ready to run!!!I have a 4.2L 6 cyl, BA-10 5 spd, NP231 transfer, Dana 30 front, Dana 35. All with 135,000 miles. Taking out of my Jeep, runs great and shifts great. Do not want to seperate engine,trans and transfer. Pics upon request. $500 for engine, trans and transfer and axles. Thanks Nick 806-336-6768
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30359
I missed that.

Quote:
Texan. Saved my neck twice... once after he was dead.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 121008
Call me what you want...but I know that motor ran great when it left TX. Have you checked to check if the pan was dented? I would ask you on the phone Steve but you won't answer. I an not out to do someone wrong. If the motor knocked or ran bad I would not have sold it. The trans did shft fine after PB. I did tell him to check all fluids.....he said he wouldn't even run the trans....so! why did he wait a month to bring this up. Why am I the liar? Who's to say he didn't run it. Send it back to me complete like it was and I will refund your money. if you guys don't want to buy from me so be it...I have had plenty of transactions in here and will have plenty more.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Sounds like you got caught ripping someone off and now dont want to make good on your word.

A mans word says alot about him.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
skullfuckery

Member # 29016
so if he sends it back you are going to give him back the $400 cost plus now $600 in shipping?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 121008
For caught? are you kidding me...do you read? I am not here to screw someone over. My word is good and has always been. Take it as you will...done!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 121008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
so if he sends it back you are going to give him back the $400 cost plus now $600 in shipping?
Why would I cover shipping....? I will give him 400 back. He will have to be out 200 on shipping...I am sorry he isn't happy...still don't understand why the buyer is the one that is right. it ran great when I pulled it!!!!!!!! It was then shipped within a week and a half
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
skullfuckery

Member # 29016
Quote:
Why would I cover shipping....? I will give him 400 back. He will have to be out 200 on shipping...I am sorry he isn't happy...still don't understand why the buyer is the one that is right. it ran great when I pulled it!!!!!!!! It was then shipped within a week and a half
becuase you made him ship a blown pos and you want him to send it back.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 9001
Send a message via ICQ to Lord Orange Send a message via AIM to Lord Orange Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Orange
Quote:
Why would I cover shipping....? I will give him 400 back. He will have to be out 200 on shipping...I am sorry he isn't happy...still don't understand why the buyer is the one that is right.
Wrong. It works both ways....if your requesting that he sends the motor back, then you need to cover shipping. Unless your add says buyer pays return shipping. Just like when a buyer requests something from a seller, buyer pays shipping.

I thought people from Texas are from a genuine caliber. I got family there, and friends from Texas here in California. I see your not from Texas, maybe from Mexico.

It will come back to you, on the trail, when your broke. When that day comes, and you need help from me, I will tell you "remember bugman? If you need this part, your not getting it from me."

I am not telling you what, who, or how you did it. But it is just plain wrong. Almost like a thief with an * by your name. It is your name on the marqi.....and right now the movie is bad.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132056
You should send him the money and let him keep the shit, that way you can't turn around and sell it to someone else. Fucker
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 44228
Caveat emptor. Bugman, you do not have a leg to stand on. Everyone is jumping Brugs case but you have to look at both sides objectively. Bugman had expectations based on perception. Brugs, description is an opinion. Bugman, did you ask if a skilled mechanic checked it out? If Brugs was one? If brugs had any knowledge at all of the internals of engine? How are we to know that bugman is being completely honest?

Everyone is quick to jump on one person and call them a liar when in fact you don't really know. I have had similar things happen to me in the past but it was my fault not the buyers. I took them on a word that may not have been JUSTIFIED. To many the engine probably did run great. Bruggs is not trained in that area nor did he break the engine down. And, you did not ask him any of that. Did you ask does it knock at all? Also, how do you know for sure it made knock noises in it when he had? I had an engine that devolped a knock, a pontiac 2.8l. After the next oil change I upped the viscosity. i did not hear that knock again for another 50k miles.

The fact is, unless a warranty is expressed, the item is bought "AS IS" Chalk it up to a life learner and ask the right questions next time.

And they are right, if it happened here, keep it here and do drag it all over the net.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 140945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouttrout View Post
Caveat emptor. Bugman, you do not have a leg to stand on. Everyone is jumping Brugs case but you have to look at both sides objectively. Bugman had expectations based on perception. Brugs, description is an opinion. Bugman, did you ask if a skilled mechanic checked it out? If Brugs was one? If brugs had any knowledge at all of the internals of engine? How are we to know that bugman is being completely honest?

Everyone is quick to jump on one person and call them a liar when in fact you don't really know. I have had similar things happen to me in the past but it was my fault not the buyers. I took them on a word that may not have been JUSTIFIED. To many the engine probably did run great. Bruggs is not trained in that area nor did he break the engine down. And, you did not ask him any of that. Did you ask does it knock at all? Also, how do you know for sure it made knock noises in it when he had? I had an engine that devolped a knock, a pontiac 2.8l. After the next oil change I upped the viscosity. i did not hear that knock again for another 50k miles.

The fact is, unless a warranty is expressed, the item is bought "AS IS" Chalk it up to a life learner and ask the right questions next time.

And they are right, if it happened here, keep it here and do drag it all over the net.
How do you know? Let me guess you're another one of brug's buddies coming here to try and "save" his name. Am I right?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 121008
I'm done! Let this be a lesson to everyone that buys and sells. From now on my listing will read " SOLD AS IS" " no warranty expressed or implied". And ask questions, I know no more than what I saw and heard, if you think a 135,000 mile engine might have problems, ask and I will do my part to get all your questions answered. And whoever posted that I wouldn't take the time to take a pan off or check bearings for a buyer can eat a dick. I would go more than out of my way. If it had problems that I knew of I wouldn't have sold it. I would have scraped it or so for parts. I don't need $400 that bad to screw somebody over. I can't pay shipping for the guy, so if it really is knocking, I don't know what to tell you other than, it did run great before I pulled it. Chime in all you want, but there is nothing I can do. Nick

Last edited by brug33; 02-22-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Closed Thread