Ballistic bushings replaceable - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Ballistic Zone
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 34020
Ballistic bushings replaceable

Are the bushing inserts in the BUS-664-41 replaceable? I imagine they must be but I don't see anything on the website. I just don't want to weld these to me links and not be able to replace the bushing.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 46226
Hmmm, you are right. Guess that tells you how many replacement sets we've had to sell since we upgraded our polymer.

We'll get them posted asap and I'll have sales shoot you a PM with pricing (because I don't know).

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 34020
thanks! I'm going to buying the complete bushing assemblies in the next day or so, I just wanted to make sure the inserts were replaceable before I ordered.

Thanks again for the quick response!!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 72230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVic723 View Post
Hmmm, you are right. Guess that tells you how many replacement sets we've had to sell since we upgraded our polymer.

Jeff
Did you have problems with the original polymer? Just curious because I bought a set of bushings when they were first released and got about 6 hours of wheeling out of them before they were shot. I was running joints on one end and bushings on the other end of my control arms. I have replaced the worn bushings with Ballistic joints but would like to hear your views on the bushings.

I spoke with a Ballistic rep on the phone, 4-20-10( not sure who)but the only comment was that my set up must be wrong, I disagree. The suspension set up is double triangulated rear and three link in the front. All the frame and axle brackets are in line at ride height so bushing pre-load should not be an issue. I'll gladly provide pics if you would like to see the set up.

Although I realize now that bushings were a poor choice for rock crawling, I would still expect a longer bushing life than 1 day. I spent a couple of grand last year with Ballistic and expect better products and better customer service when a problem occurs. Basically I was blown off when I called, the person I spoke with sighted improper suspension design when they didn't ask the 1st questions about the suspension. Is Ballistic fab interested in better product design or simply selling more product?

Thanks

Last edited by foreman1063; 05-03-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 46226
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman1063 View Post
Did you have problems with the original polymer? Just curious because I bought a set of bushings when they were first released and got about 6 hours of wheeling out of them before they were shot. I was running joints on one end and bushings on the other end of my control arms. I have replaced the worn bushings with Ballistic joints but would like to hear your views on the bushings.

I spoke with a Ballistic rep on the phone, 4-20-10( not sure who)but the only comment was that my set up must be wrong, I disagree. The suspension set up is double triangulated rear and three link in the front. All the frame and axle brackets are in line at ride height so bushing pre-load should not be an issue. I'll gladly provide pics if you would like to see the set up.

Although I realize now that bushings were a poor choice for rock crawling, I would still expect a longer bushing life than 1 day. I spent a couple of grand last year with Ballistic and expect better products and better customer service when a problem occurs. Basically I was blown off when I called, the person I spoke with sighted improper suspension design when they didn't ask the 1st questions about the suspension. Is Ballistic fab interested in better product design or simply selling more product?

Thanks
Same polymer, slightly harder / tougher grade. I would recommend trying a set of these, they hold up alot better to suspension bind and above average abuse. We changed the color from a light grey to black when we made the change so that we could identify the two types... I am assuming you have the grey?

Jeff
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 72230
Quote:
I am assuming you have the grey?

Jeff
I do but I've already spent a few hundred bucks on joints to replace the bushings and I'm not ready to sink any more cash into the bushings. I guess in the future I'll give new products some time in the market before buying, give manufactures a chance to work the bugs out and get the products tested more in real world conditions.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman1063 View Post
I do but I've already spent a few hundred bucks on joints to replace the bushings and I'm not ready to sink any more cash into the bushings. I guess in the future I'll give new products some time in the market before buying, give manufactures a chance to work the bugs out and get the products tested more in real world conditions.
If people like you start doing that, then how are the rest of us going to know what works and what doesn't?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 72230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Ebrahimi View Post
If people like you start doing that, then how are the rest of us going to know what works and what doesn't?
Good point but I had my turn in the barrel, it's someone else's turn next time.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 98052
Quote:
Same polymer, slightly harder / tougher grade. I would recommend trying a set of these, they hold up alot better to suspension bind and above average abuse. We changed the color from a light grey to black when we made the change so that we could identify the two types... I am assuming you have the grey?

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

We ran the light gray in KOH this year for the first time out in the ride since it had been finished. By the end of the race we have some serious slop in the bushing end. We ran your weld on 3" joint on the other end with zero issues. I imageine we have the early ones as they sat on the shelf from initial purchase to completeion.

Is there anything you can do for us about replacing with the upgraded material? We are in the same boat. 2 days of pretty vicuous abuse and they are done.

This is a picture of what we run.
Attached Images

[B][COLOR="Red"]Thank you to our Sponsors:[/COLOR][/B][B]
Randy's Ring and Pinion
Redhook Brewery
Bunk Machine
B.N.S fab[/B]

Last edited by CRAZYS; 02-21-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 98052
Hey Jeff or Dave,

Any feedback on this?

Thanks, Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYS View Post
Hi Jeff,

We ran the light gray in KOH this year for the first time out in the ride since it had been finished. By the end of the race we have some serious slop in the bushing end. We ran your weld on 3" joint on the other end with zero issues. I imageine we have the early ones as they sat on the shelf from initial purchase to completeion.

Is there anything you can do for us about replacing with the upgraded material? We are in the same boat. 2 days of pretty vicuous abuse and they are done.

This is a picture of what we run.

Randy's Ring and Pinion
Redhook Brewery
Bunk Machine
B.N.S fab[/B]
Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 46226
Definately, we need to get you some of the upgraded poly. I'll let Will and Dave know about this and they will be contacting you. Thanks - Jeff
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 98052
Rock and Roll man! Thank you very much. Looking forward to it.

Randy's Ring and Pinion
Redhook Brewery
Bunk Machine
B.N.S fab[/B]
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 112629
what about a delrin option
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 18650
Send a message via AIM to chadjans
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott037 View Post
what about a delrin option
Why such a rigid bushing?

Chad
Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 98052
Hey Jeff,

You want to PM me whatever you need?

Thanks, Sean

Quote:
Definately, we need to get you some of the upgraded poly. I'll let Will and Dave know about this and they will be contacting you. Thanks - Jeff

Randy's Ring and Pinion
Redhook Brewery
Bunk Machine
B.N.S fab[/B]
Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 98052
Hi Jeff,

I know you guys have been going through some transitions lately. Just a friendly reminder about the above post.

Thanks, Sean

Randy's Ring and Pinion
Redhook Brewery
Bunk Machine
B.N.S fab[/B]
Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 143863
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYS View Post
Hi Jeff,

I know you guys have been going through some transitions lately. Just a friendly reminder about the above post.

Thanks, Sean
Will you please PM me the phone number?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 98052
Done.

Randy's Ring and Pinion
Redhook Brewery
Bunk Machine
B.N.S fab[/B]