Lockers street legal? BC - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > Canada
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member # 146079
Posts: 4
Lockers street legal? BC

Anybody know if lockers or spools are street legal in BC?
I also need documents to proove it. Im settling a bet

Last edited by DuncanZuk; 10-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.
DuncanZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
blazerv10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Member # 132931
Location: peoria az
Posts: 236
go down to the dealer ship and see if they have trucks with factory locker or limited slip in then.
blazerv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Member # 164056
Location: foleyet.ontario
Posts: 289
i don`t think you`ll find any one says that they are completly legal but you find any one that says they are illegal either. in that case you will probably find some nonsense about traction aids but that could be anything from studded tires to tire chains to whatever. good luck.
time bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
TK Member
 
blugreenformula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member # 84917
Location: Dunlap Tn,
Posts: 609
Rubicon's and alot of Toyota's have factory lockers. If it's not legal, I gotta say FUCK Canada!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77 View Post
Cute, not a chance in hell. I'd rather shove a possum in my cunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
The last time Obama came to Texas, as soon as he stepped on the stage, a farmer stood up and bid $100.
blugreenformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poseur SUV
 
Paul Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 610
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Posts: 5,063
Blog Entries: 7
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Yes lockers are street legal but spools are not. As far as I know spools are not street legal anywhere because if they or an axle fails it can cause a loss of control.
__________________
Paul Gagnon
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
"No Brain, No Pain"
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Member # 200459
Posts: 19
yes they are legal as far as i know........check it out with someone in your area who does VI's
BIGASSTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 154419
Location: Langley, BC, Cananananananadaaaaaaa
Posts: 116
I Don't agree with this but here is the answer to your question:

I contacted Mike Woods, Manager of Vehicle Inspection and Standards for the province of BC. He stated the Vehicle Inspection Manual "currently refers to Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles in the Vehicle Inspection Manual.

Light Vehicle, Section 1, page 4, item 7 Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles -
Visually and audibly inspect axles, reject if does not meet OEM
specifications. Which could apply to differentials modified to eliminate any differential between drive wheels on the same axle.

All vehicles manufactured for on highway use a differential. Defeating the differential would void any applicable warranties, cause premature wear of tires and drive line components. Since the purpose of a differential is to allow each wheel to travel a different radius, disabling it will induce wheel slippage which could result in loss of control of the vehicle."

This brought up the point the he has access to the Vehicle Inspection Manual and I don't so I've asked for a copy and hopefully will be able to refer to it in the future.
4wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God
 
aussielocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Member # 19383
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeling View Post
I Don't agree with this but here is the answer to your question:

I contacted Mike Woods, Manager of Vehicle Inspection and Standards for the province of BC. He stated the Vehicle Inspection Manual "currently refers to Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles in the Vehicle Inspection Manual.

Light Vehicle, Section 1, page 4, item 7 Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles -
Visually and audibly inspect axles, reject if does not meet OEM
specifications. Which could apply to differentials modified to eliminate any differential between drive wheels on the same axle.

All vehicles manufactured for on highway use a differential. Defeating the differential would void any applicable warranties, cause premature wear of tires and drive line components. Since the purpose of a differential is to allow each wheel to travel a different radius, disabling it will induce wheel slippage which could result in loss of control of the vehicle."

This brought up the point the he has access to the Vehicle Inspection Manual and I don't so I've asked for a copy and hopefully will be able to refer to it in the future.
We are just adding out 2 cents to this dicussion. The Aussie Locker does provide differentation between drive wheels. It would appear that this law or rule would apply to spools but not lockers.
aussielocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member # 160122
Location: where you can surf, wheel and ski all in the same day.
Posts: 40
i flat out just dont have the time to search right now,... but here is a link to the regs. it is all online. i run one truck with a welded third, and another with an elocker, and have a good relationship with several local rcmp members in my town, and they havent ever questioned my trucks,... even tho they are both pounded old 1st get 4runners.

if youve got the time, read it. i actually have a copy printed in a binder for reference if i need to.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...eside/26_58_01
clint.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Member # 154419
Location: Langley, BC, Cananananananadaaaaaaa
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint.s View Post
and have a good relationship with several local rcmp members in my town, and they havent ever questioned my trucks
That dosent' make it legal still. The quote I posted about came from the head dude in charge of VI's in BC. I don't give a shit what a cop says its the VI inspector that has the final word. 99% of the time the cops don't know shit about what they are talking about anyway.
4wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member # 160122
Location: where you can surf, wheel and ski all in the same day.
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeling View Post
99% of the time the cops don't know shit about what they are talking about anyway.
x a brazillion,... but that isnt the point of my post really... just my own experience here on the island. the only other thing to be said here is most vi orders that ive seen or heard of written were usually written by law enforcement. ive not yet seen a cv inspection truck with a 4x4 pulled over, but i am sure it is well within their mandate.

i did not intend to "blur" the line on is it legal vs how to avoid a vi.

i did intend to supply a link to a copy of the regs that are valid in b.c.
clint.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poseur SUV
 
Paul Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 610
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Posts: 5,063
Blog Entries: 7
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeling View Post
That dosent' make it legal still. The quote I posted about came from the head dude in charge of VI's in BC. I don't give a shit what a cop says its the VI inspector that has the final word. 99% of the time the cops don't know shit about what they are talking about anyway.
No, the inspector does not have the final word. He cannot change the regulations, he is only there to enforce them. Bottom line is that the regulations say that there must be differentiation and lockers provide that.


The rest of his comments about warranties, tire wear and driveline wear are irrelevant and opinion, not law.
__________________
Paul Gagnon
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
"No Brain, No Pain"
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member # 146590
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 40
Well if they are not legal, i guess all trucking in BC would come to a hault. as they have both diff and trans axle lockers
__________________
2005 unlimited Rubicon. 5.5 custom long arm, 37x13.50R15 interco SSM-16 and other goodies.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3370
Location: BC CANADA
Posts: 6,086
or all the illegal Jeep Rubicons with factory lockers... or the GM 14 bolt Gov lockers.
__________________
Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15408
Location: Rockies
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderopp View Post
Well if they are not legal, i guess all trucking in BC would come to a hault. as they have both diff and trans axle lockers
Not when you read the part where it refers to "Light Duty Vehicles"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook View Post
or all the illegal Jeep Rubicons with factory lockers... or the GM 14 bolt Gov lockers.
If you have a selectable locker, and you take it in for a VI with the lockers activated you deserve to fail......
dukabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.