Lockers street legal? BC - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > Canada
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 146079
Lockers street legal? BC

Anybody know if lockers or spools are street legal in BC?
I also need documents to proove it. Im settling a bet

Last edited by DuncanZuk; 10-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.
DuncanZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 132931
go down to the dealer ship and see if they have trucks with factory locker or limited slip in then.
blazerv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 164056
i don`t think you`ll find any one says that they are completly legal but you find any one that says they are illegal either. in that case you will probably find some nonsense about traction aids but that could be anything from studded tires to tire chains to whatever. good luck.
time bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
TK Member

Member # 84917
Rubicon's and alot of Toyota's have factory lockers. If it's not legal, I gotta say FUCK Canada!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtech View Post
The last time Obama came to Texas, as soon as he stepped on the stage, a farmer stood up and bid $100.
blugreenformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Yes lockers are street legal but spools are not. As far as I know spools are not street legal anywhere because if they or an axle fails it can cause a loss of control.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 200459
yes they are legal as far as i know........check it out with someone in your area who does VI's
BIGASSTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 154419
I Don't agree with this but here is the answer to your question:

I contacted Mike Woods, Manager of Vehicle Inspection and Standards for the province of BC. He stated the Vehicle Inspection Manual "currently refers to Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles in the Vehicle Inspection Manual.

Light Vehicle, Section 1, page 4, item 7 Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles -
Visually and audibly inspect axles, reject if does not meet OEM
specifications. Which could apply to differentials modified to eliminate any differential between drive wheels on the same axle.

All vehicles manufactured for on highway use a differential. Defeating the differential would void any applicable warranties, cause premature wear of tires and drive line components. Since the purpose of a differential is to allow each wheel to travel a different radius, disabling it will induce wheel slippage which could result in loss of control of the vehicle."

This brought up the point the he has access to the Vehicle Inspection Manual and I don't so I've asked for a copy and hopefully will be able to refer to it in the future.
4wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeling View Post
I Don't agree with this but here is the answer to your question:

I contacted Mike Woods, Manager of Vehicle Inspection and Standards for the province of BC. He stated the Vehicle Inspection Manual "currently refers to Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles in the Vehicle Inspection Manual.

Light Vehicle, Section 1, page 4, item 7 Front/Rear/Spindles/Axles -
Visually and audibly inspect axles, reject if does not meet OEM
specifications. Which could apply to differentials modified to eliminate any differential between drive wheels on the same axle.

All vehicles manufactured for on highway use a differential. Defeating the differential would void any applicable warranties, cause premature wear of tires and drive line components. Since the purpose of a differential is to allow each wheel to travel a different radius, disabling it will induce wheel slippage which could result in loss of control of the vehicle."

This brought up the point the he has access to the Vehicle Inspection Manual and I don't so I've asked for a copy and hopefully will be able to refer to it in the future.
We are just adding out 2 cents to this dicussion. The Aussie Locker does provide differentation between drive wheels. It would appear that this law or rule would apply to spools but not lockers.
aussielocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 160122
Location: where you can surf, wheel and ski all in the same day.
i flat out just dont have the time to search right now,... but here is a link to the regs. it is all online. i run one truck with a welded third, and another with an elocker, and have a good relationship with several local rcmp members in my town, and they havent ever questioned my trucks,... even tho they are both pounded old 1st get 4runners.

if youve got the time, read it. i actually have a copy printed in a binder for reference if i need to.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...eside/26_58_01
clint.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 154419
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint.s View Post
and have a good relationship with several local rcmp members in my town, and they havent ever questioned my trucks
That dosent' make it legal still. The quote I posted about came from the head dude in charge of VI's in BC. I don't give a shit what a cop says its the VI inspector that has the final word. 99% of the time the cops don't know shit about what they are talking about anyway.
4wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 160122
Location: where you can surf, wheel and ski all in the same day.
Quote:
99% of the time the cops don't know shit about what they are talking about anyway.
x a brazillion,... but that isnt the point of my post really... just my own experience here on the island. the only other thing to be said here is most vi orders that ive seen or heard of written were usually written by law enforcement. ive not yet seen a cv inspection truck with a 4x4 pulled over, but i am sure it is well within their mandate.

i did not intend to "blur" the line on is it legal vs how to avoid a vi.

i did intend to supply a link to a copy of the regs that are valid in b.c.
clint.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
That dosent' make it legal still. The quote I posted about came from the head dude in charge of VI's in BC. I don't give a shit what a cop says its the VI inspector that has the final word. 99% of the time the cops don't know shit about what they are talking about anyway.
No, the inspector does not have the final word. He cannot change the regulations, he is only there to enforce them. Bottom line is that the regulations say that there must be differentiation and lockers provide that.

The rest of his comments about warranties, tire wear and driveline wear are irrelevant and opinion, not law.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 146590
Well if they are not legal, i guess all trucking in BC would come to a hault. as they have both diff and trans axle lockers
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
or all the illegal Jeep Rubicons with factory lockers... or the GM 14 bolt Gov lockers.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 15408
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderopp View Post
Well if they are not legal, i guess all trucking in BC would come to a hault. as they have both diff and trans axle lockers
Not when you read the part where it refers to "Light Duty Vehicles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook View Post
or all the illegal Jeep Rubicons with factory lockers... or the GM 14 bolt Gov lockers.
If you have a selectable locker, and you take it in for a VI with the lockers activated you deserve to fail......
dukabor is offline   Reply With Quote