Jeep Doors in BC- MVA - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > Canada
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
I live on a Rock

Member # 143697
Jeep Doors in BC- MVA

This cam up in another area of PBB, here is the goods on no doors on a Jeep in BC

Commercial Vehicle Safety
& Enforcement

Vehicle Safety and Standards
BULLETIN
BULLETIN # 1 -2008 August 7, 2008

Re: Removable Vehicle Doors

This bulletin applies to ALL vehicles on highway and subject to British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act and Motor Vehicle Act Regulation requirements.

CVSE has received numerous complaints and enquiries regarding vehicles operating on highway without the driver and I or passenger door(s) in place. Reports most commonly identify certain makes and models of JEEP as some of these vehicles have side doors that may be easily removed.

Any vehicle operating on highway without doors represents a serious safety concern for the occupants as
side intrusion protection and passenger containment would be compromised in the event of a collision.

Motor Vehicle Act Regulation division 7.09 (1) outlines the standards for the safety and repair of vehicles. In
the associated schedule to division 7.09 (1), section 11 states:

“Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors. The doors
with which a vehicle is equipped shall be in good working order, and any hinge, latch, or handle must
not be missing, broken or inoperable.”

Therefore, all vehicles manufactured with doors as original equipment MUST have all doors in place and functioning as described above while operating on highway to be in compliance with MVAR division 7.09 (1). CVSE has determined that ONLY the JEEP “CJ” model manufactured prior to 1986 may have been manufactured without doors as original equipment.

Further, CVSE has determined that the majority of side mirrors on JEEPS are affixed to the door. Any vehicle operating on highway without a driver’s side rear view mirror would be in violation of Motor Vehicle Act Regulation division 7.04 (2).

All vehicles operating on highway in violation of any Motor Vehicle Act Regulation are subject to
enforcement action.

Should any further information be required, please contact Brian Kangas, Program Coordinator, Vehicle Safety & Standards at (250) 953 — 4008 or brian.kangas@gov.bc.ca

Regards,

Brian Kangas
Program Coordinator, Vehicle Safety & Standards Commercial Vehicle Safety & Enforcement
jeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 136485
CJ models are allowed eh...

I wonder what they think of JK's... Jeep provides you with a specific storage area in the back to place you nuts/bolts when the doors are removed which would mean to me that Jeep intended/built/considered safety for JK's running doorless.

Here is a link reference a door conversation on JK's about running without doors.

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...s-off-question
J_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 160122
Location: where you can surf, wheel and ski all in the same day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Impact View Post

I wonder what they think of JK's...

pretty sure they "think" you're legal when your doors are on. pretty damn clear if you ask me.

Last edited by clint.s; 07-17-2012 at 10:22 AM.
clint.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 223688
Just another assault on the wallet of the working man and woman in BC,when will the harassment and pocket picking stop!
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote