Pickup questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > Canada
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
No (|) No (.)(.)

Member # 11132
Pickup questions

I'm spoilt for choice I always buy cars to keep them for a long time. 10 years and more. I treat my cars very personally.

It will be a 3/4ton 2500HD or 1ton 3500. I will use it as a DD, truck camper and towing on weekends and holidays.

Diesels:

Pro: Good milage on the long term, good mpg, very reliable, good torque, strong drivetrain, etc.
Cons: Offered diesels often have higher prices than gas trucks, higher milage, often work trucks with bad interior, etc.

Q: But what about Diesels in wintertime, temperatures good be very low? Any probs or are the fuel additives good for minus 40,50 degree Celsius?
Diesel at 0C it will start to cloud, and at around -10 it will gel, at -45C will wax.

Gas:

Pro: Cheaper than Diesels, good equiped, good conditions,
Cons: milage ? , mpg not so good.

Q: I think no pobs in wintertime if battery is good or engine heater. Or?

Now the difficult part: Which manufactor?

I want to go with a GMC Sierra, 2500HD Duramax 6.6 diesel or Vortec 6.0 gas. Or a Ford 250, 350 Super Duty only with a 7.3 Diesel.

Any other suggestions? Do I miss something in my considerations? What would you buy and why?

BTW: We will arrive on 22. Oct. in Vancouver and I want to buy a truck very soon after our arrival. Immigration background for those who doesn't know it .
----------4---------------4------|
---------------------------------|
--2---2-2---2---2-2---2-2---2---2|
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands
Valhalla, I'm coming

Last edited by XJUSA; 10-14-2009 at 04:50 AM.
XJUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
If your staying in the Vancouver area it doesn't get that cold. Never have had an issue with my diesels. Even without fuel additive. I think we had a stretch of about -18 last year for a week or 2 at night, not very common thing to happen. All I did was plug in the blockheater.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
No (|) No (.)(.)

Member # 11132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook View Post
If your staying in the Vancouver area it doesn't get that cold. Never have had an issue with my diesels. Even without fuel additive. I think we had a stretch of about -18 last year for a week or 2 at night, not very common thing to happen. All I did was plug in the blockheater.
Yes, the Vancouver area isn't that cold in wintertime, but what if I would visit friends in Edmonton for example. Does the diesel fuel adds still work at that temperatures? Is a blockheater an obligation?
Valhalla, I'm coming
Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
No (|) No (.)(.)

Member # 11132
Just got this email, seller offers a GMC 2500HD 2006, 65k kms, leather, etc. for 12000Ca$
He told me he moved from Vancouver to London and the truck is the best offer ever.

Hi again,
I am in United Kingdom,car is here with me,shipping and insurance is included in the price of the car, km's:65000.
I have to let you know that you have to accept those 8 steps to make the deal:
1. You will have to give me your details (first name,last name,street,city,zip code,state,country,shipping e-mail address and phone number) to open a transaction record at eBay Safe Harbor, the deal will be made by ebay.
2. You will have to make a deposit of $2250+ title service $150 at the one of their agent on his name and address for a better security and he will keep the money untill you pay the car entirelly.
3. You will have five (5) working days to inspect and test drive it and if you don't accept it,they will refund your money and the shipping company DAS will shipp the car back to me at my expense because I am affiliate there and they mannage for their customers at verry low price the shipping fees.
4. Then, if you will accept the item when you have made the drive test and the inspection at your local authorized dealer/service, you will have to pay the rest of the money again on the agent's name and address.
5. DAS will send you the package in maximum 5-6 days from deliverry and they will call you when the package is near to you.
6. The deposit will be kept by they until you will receive and inspect it.
7. I will be able to pick up the money only after the transaction will be complete and I will sign the title in your name and the bill of sale.
8. After the first deposit, the shipping company will give you the tracking # so you can track it at their website.
I will start the shipping process after you complete eBay instructions.
If you are ok with this please e-mail me with the required informations in order to get this deal arranged with eBay and they will send you an invoice with all the details about the payment.
E-mail me A.S.A.P. if you want to move forward and accept my therms of dealing because now I have more buyers still interested in my car.
Have a nice time!

What a cheating scumbag!
Valhalla, I'm coming

Last edited by XJUSA; 10-14-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crawlin'BC

Member # 21813
I have a 2000 Dodge with a Cummins in it and I live in Kamloops.....we get a few weeks of -25 in the winter and I have had no issues.

Block heater and you're good to go

Up in Edmonton will be about the same and if you go further north you'll find that allot of guys don't even turn their trucks off during the winter
Team Crawlin'BC (Pro-Mod #250)
Driver: Rich Walker

Proud to be working with; Baja North, Jeep Thrills, Crawlin'bc.com, Optic Nerve, Master Pull, Family Glass, 4WD Magazine, and Inner Air Lock

www.crawlinbc.com
www.crawlinbc.com/u-can-2

Find me on Youtube and Twitter
CanadianZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 88052
Good batteries! Here in Quebec it hits -40 on a regular basis. I never had a problem with any vehicule that had a decent battery in it. If its 5 years old, Change the damn thing. And dont buy it at Canadian Tire.
BigBlueToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 88052
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJUSA View Post
Just got this email, seller offers a GMC 2500HD 2006, 65k kms, leather, etc. for 12000Ca$
He told me he moved from Vancouver to London and the truck is the best offer ever.

Hi again,
I am in United Kingdom,car is here with me,shipping and insurance is included in the price of the car, km's:65000.
I have to let you know that you have to accept those 8 steps to make the deal:
1. You will have to give me your details (first name,last name,street,city,zip code,state,country,shipping e-mail address and phone number) to open a transaction record at eBay Safe Harbor, the deal will be made by ebay.
2. You will have to make a deposit of $2250+ title service $150 at the one of their agent on his name and address for a better security and he will keep the money untill you pay the car entirelly.
3. You will have five (5) working days to inspect and test drive it and if you don't accept it,they will refund your money and the shipping company DAS will shipp the car back to me at my expense because I am affiliate there and they mannage for their customers at verry low price the shipping fees.
4. Then, if you will accept the item when you have made the drive test and the inspection at your local authorized dealer/service, you will have to pay the rest of the money again on the agent's name and address.
5. DAS will send you the package in maximum 5-6 days from deliverry and they will call you when the package is near to you.
6. The deposit will be kept by they until you will receive and inspect it.
7. I will be able to pick up the money only after the transaction will be complete and I will sign the title in your name and the bill of sale.
8. After the first deposit, the shipping company will give you the tracking # so you can track it at their website.
I will start the shipping process after you complete eBay instructions.
If you are ok with this please e-mail me with the required informations in order to get this deal arranged with eBay and they will send you an invoice with all the details about the payment.
E-mail me A.S.A.P. if you want to move forward and accept my therms of dealing because now I have more buyers still interested in my car.
Have a nice time!

What a cheating scumbag!
Buy a truck in the states before you move. Its wayyy cheaper!
BigBlueToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueToy View Post
Buy a truck in the states before you move. Its wayyy cheaper!
Pretty sure he is coming from Germany.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJUSA View Post
Yes, the Vancouver area isn't that cold in wintertime, but what if I would visit friends in Edmonton for example. Does the diesel fuel adds still work at that temperatures? Is a blockheater an obligation?
Pretty much every Canadian car or truck these days comes with a block heater. A diesel in the age range you are looking at will already have one unless it was brought up from the US.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 34724
Get a diesel if you are gonna drive to edmonton or over any of the passes that we have here. Gassers fuel economy on the passes suck donkey dick.

I get nervous in social situations motherfucker!
EHeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1479
Just come for visits to us in the Edmonton area in the summer, problem solved!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
the fuel companies sell winter diesel for the area you are in
I am not sure on the regular pumps but a commercial pump will have the temperature range listed on it during winter months
in the Vancouver area there will always be a "summer" diesel pump for the local trucks and "winter" diesel pumps for trucks that leave the lower mainland
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.