86 4runner - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > Canada
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Smile 86 4runner

Not necessarily a full out build, but I've finally got off my @$$ and started on it.

Bought the truck down in Blaine (270k miles, originally from Arizona)
Not a single spot of rust, minimal interior wear.

Paid $700, not running. Brand new Alternator, Starter, and some random stuff.

Last summer, I tore into it with a couple buddies and tried to get it running. I figured whatever, if it didn't run, big deal. After hooking a couple things back up, and a fresh battery, I gave it a crank. NOTHING.

Pulled the cover off, rotated to TDC and noticed that the cam gear was 6 teeth off... No visible damage, but I knew what that meant.

Pulled the head off, and no surprise, was staring at a bunch of bent valves. Kinda got discouraged, had a lot of other things going on, so I let it sit. BIG mistake, considering now I have a block with pitting in the cyl walls. Moron...

Fast forward to last weekend, picked up a 22re out of a 92 runner for $100, had a blown ring. FInished pulling it all apart last night, everything looks clean as far as I can tell. I'm taking it all off to the machine shop on Saturday (Magnem in Burnaby)

Plans are fairly minimal, getting it running is priority obviously, haha.

- New tires (keeping stock wheels, going back to school in September)
- Possibly a mild lift
- Swapping in BJ60 axles (I have a set with 20k on them)
- SAS for the front, probably next summer
- Recaros (from a Suzuki Swift GT)

Lots of other random little things I'm going to do, like take off those stupid diamond plate steps. I'd rather have nothing TBH. Eventually I'll throw some sliders and bumpers on it.

I'm pretty new to yotas for the most part (ex-nissan guy, owned 4 240's) so any advice is appreciated. Feel free to tell me to take my head out of my @$$ as well if I'm being an idiot.

Hope to meet some of the BC/AB guys

Last edited by schadenfreude; 11-20-2012 at 07:28 AM.
schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Here's some pictures

Right after I got it home:

That's a bullet hole from a .50 cal Black Powder ricochet

Head pulled (From newer engine)

Block before disassembly:

Bare block:

Still sitting in the same damn spot as last year:

Crank seems to be pretty good, no major wear or spotting:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Mains seem to have a little wear, but I'm not too concerned:

What was left in the pan when I pulled it off: (motor sat outside for about 6 months, covered... but a little condensation built up in it)
Old 05-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Update, no pics yet.

Took the blocks into Magnem. Turns out that my block is still standard bore, despite having 200k+ miles on it. The spare I got was already at 30 over, so I'm sticking with the one originally from the truck.

Ordering parts on Tuesday, should get the motor back in 2 weeks or so, then it's time for install.

Huge list of crap to do:

- Clutch
- Trans/xfer case seals
- Tires
- Possibly a new rad...
- Clean up the interior, maybe replace the carpet... It's kinda haggard
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Little update:

Picked up some 31x10.5 Bridgestone Winters on stock wheels, $350. Moving to Alberta in the fall for a couple years, so they'll do nicely

Haggard stock donuts:

New:

Mounted:

Ugly and ratty plastic:

After closing the window:

I went through all the troubleshooting with the back window, and found that the switch isn't getting power, so I'll have to trace that down. I'm probably going to rip out the wiring and rewire it straight to the switch, because I don't want to deal with crappy relays. I have to crawl in the back with a battery at this point in order to close/open the window now, so pretty frustrating.

The tires look pretty good, truck sits a little higher than before (yeah I know... Not a lift just yet, soon thought)

Got a call back from the machine shop this morning, looking at about $600 in machine work/assembly, and I ordered my bottom end from LCE w/ new head studs.

Hopefully she'll be on the road soon!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Updates...

Motor is in, pictures later.

Picked up a new head for $300, pretty happy. Assembly went fairly straightforward other than forgetting where everything went.

Steamcleaned the carpets up, now the task of reassembling the interior. I was going to leave it with the bed liner I did the floors, but the carpet looks semi ok now and I'm tired of gutted interiors.

After screwing around with a whole bunch of things getting it to run, here's a breakdown of what I did wrong or forgot:

- distributor out 180 deg (was drinking a little when I installed this... Retard)
- Several coolant leaks, all fixed
- Thermostat might be dead, grabbing a new one and just swapping it out
- No power to fuel pump (relay has been replaced, I suspect the CCR) It's just running off the test jumper for now
- Vacuum system is/was a nightmare, still need to clean it all up
- MAF was dead, picked up another. It ran BETTER, but still not perfect

It was stumbling and hesitating, and after hours of poring through the FSM and Haynes, I got super pissed off and walked away from it for an hour. Came back, unplugged every electrical connector and vacuum line I could find, and methodically plugged them all back in.

Ran like a champ.... So obviously I missed something along the way, I suspect a loose injector plug because I have 2 that have broken ends. I was concerned that I had installed the chain incorrectly... But I could see how?

Took it for a rip down the street, runs smooth, sounds like balls because it's straightpiped with a resonator.

Now to get it inspected and dump 500km's on it before I move away for school!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 196625
I had an 87- same color, sure miss that thing, the body is in nice shape, even tailgate, looks good.

Last edited by Son of a gun; 08-17-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Son of a gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
It's been good so far, I had a bit of an oil leak from the rear valve cover, but fixed that... I've gotta get off my ass and do the lifters. It sounds like a diesel.

Turns out I suck at welding, the cat flange on my downpipe is leaking a little, so I'll have to pull out the metal glue gun again and try again.

Back window is acting up again, pisses me off... And my rear passenger tire decided to delaminate.

Other than that no complaints...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Looking at some 31x10.5 Goodyear Territories, nothing amazing, kinda shitty... But at $600 a set including free mounting and balancing at school I can't really say no.

There's a local guy here who specializes in yotas and has 5 acres of property, might swing by tomorrow and see if he has a set I can scam for cheap... The rear end wobble of the delam-ed tire is really starting to piss me off.

Did the lifters last night, purrs like a kitten. Also removed a whole bunch of stupid vacuum lines.

Lessons learned:

-don't buy used tires without knowing the condition/method in which they were stored and how old they are
- adjust lifters with feeler guages you can actually read
- f*ck the EGR
- f*ck the AC idle switch
- f*ck the PS idle switch

scratch that... f*ck the entire useless vacuum system... it only needs like 3 lines to run

perhaps I'm wrong, but it runs better now than it ever did... without all that stupid vacuum controlled bullshit.

Slightly annoyed about the tire situation because I love the Bridgestones. They did exceptionally well camping 2 weeks ago with some semi aggressive trail driving. Unfortunately I don't think they've been made in 5+ years. I'd love to get into some 33x12.5's... But the student budget isn't seeming to allocate for such frivolous spending. Maybe I'll get to directly wiring the back window to the key switch, or I'll just bridge every relay... Stupid fucker.

/drunken rant...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Quick update, will add pictures soon.

Bought some Federal Couragia MT's 31x10.5 to replace my set of bridgestones. Sold the front Bridgestones for $200, swapped the one good rear onto my spare.

Tires are awesome, a little on the noisy side, but nothing compared to some other MT's I've seen.

Canada sucks for tires, hands down. But I ended up getting these mounted and balanced for about $750.

I'm in go mode right now, trying to figure out what I want to do next... The rear leafs are sagging pretty bad, and already have a 1" lift block. I'd much rather just replace the rears with a 2 or 3" spring than bandaid it with an addleaf.

I had originally thought to just keep the IFS and run it until something broke, but after spending a lot of time here looking at other rigs... I'm almost sold on the SAS front. I think I'll end up going with the IFS until it blows up, and then converting, but I'm picking up an axle off an 84 pickup this weekend, and we'll see where it goes from there.

A lot of research to do before I even think of going there, but I've got 4 drafting contracts about to pick up and a bunch of other crap, so I might have more coin to play with in the coming months. I might also try and snag the transfer case if it's top shift, for a potential dual setup in the future.

Little to no trail experience other than fucking around on logging roads, so I'm a scrub... But hopefully come spring time I'll be jumping right in and breaking shit left right and center.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Not much of an update, just been busy with school and whatnot.

Not really any chance to wheel other than a quick trip to my uncles place and pissed around on some snowed in logging roads.

Changed out my t-stat, realized I forgot to put a block heater in the truck so that's on order now.

Got some random stupid goodies from Davez, shift knobs and a trail tire repair kit. Also picked up a nice toolbox to throw in the back.

3" lift springs ordered, ordering bilstien shocks next week.

2 questions if anyone cares to answer;

1 - I'm still running IFS in the front, no plans to pick up a caddy kit because they're stupid expensive, and no plans anytime soon to swap in my solid front. I was told that if you relocate the torsion bar mounts, it will lift the front. Just trying to match the 3" lift in the rear while trying to avoid putting unnecessary stress on the balljoints and cv's.

Does this work? (what I'm thinking of doing is cutting the mount point and using some spare HSS I have to put the mounts below the frame. From my quick measurements, this would move the mount down about 2.5")

2 - Would I be better off with skyjacker/bds shocks over bilstein? I get the BDS/skyjacker for about $300 for all 4, and the Bilsteins for $400

Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Nice looking 4 runner. With IFS I think think the lower ball joint spacer is pretty good. We have installed a couple sets and it looks good and keeps the ride. With the ride in mind My DD IFS truck rides a lot better with the Bilstein shocks.

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs http://www.12voltguy.com/
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 170098
I have been running a 4" ifs lift for 6 or 7 years and some hard wheelin.I live in Mission BC. Have not had a problem at all with the front end. I welded the rear got a body lift as well and am rolling on 35's. If you are wondering what I have 88 4runner without a straight body panel. used to be a dd but not any more.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Honestly I'm not going to bother with the IFS, it's gonna be SAS or nothing. I'm tired of wasting money on unnecessary shit.

Lift springs are sitting at my buddies shop along with my new (to me) plasma cutter. I still haven't managed to pick up the front end off that 84, but he is holding it for me. Just pushing through this semester and then I should be able to tear into it. All depends on how my summer employment goes.

Debating an engine swap, and still trying to decide what to do... It's settled between a 3rz and a GM 4.3. Problem is a 3rz is pretty much non-existent up here, whereas I could go all out and order a fresh 262 from summit for a decent price. Or just find some shitty junkyard one.

Biggest issue is that this truck will be seeing a LOT of miles the coming years, so I'd prefer something fresh rather than some beat to shit turd.

Lots more research to do, order gears, perhaps change to a 33 or 35, I think the 31's would look stupid with the lift.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
I guess I'll throw a few updates in here, it's been a while.

I've been busy with school and whatnot, but gotten around to doing a few things on the truck here and there.

Summer employment didn't turn out to be as good as I thought, so I've had to lay off any major purchases. I'm done my program next year, so once I actually get a real job again, I'm sure I'll have this thread filled with stupid questions and cool pictures.

Made a sweet shift knob (IMO) from a 'strategically acquired' beer tap handle:

(Missing is the new shift boot that was a christmas gift from my mom)

New tires, removed crappy aluminum side steps after breaking one half off on a snow bank:

Had a brand new BDS add leaf given to me, so threw that on

Before:

During:

After:

I had a couple more pictures, but photobucket is lame and didn't upload them.

It was a huge difference in ride height, and feels a little smoother.

The shocks have got to go, along with the IFS. I probably won't be getting to anything drastic until next summer unfortunately.

But big plans in the works.

When people say RUF, are they talking about just a stock spring? Or a rear lift spring up front? I'm rethinking my current ones, and am curious. I was planning on 33's or 35's, and doing a 5 front, 4 rear. Thoughts?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
rock junkie

Member # 141882
love the shifter!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucovich View Post
love the shifter!
Thanks! I have a Molson M one too, but can't find the set screws for it, and having both of them on makes shifting a little tight.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 196543
Yeah I miss my '85 runner.
I do however still have a new Marlin dual case 23 spline adapter if you're interested.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/canad...l-adapter.html
Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
I wish, no money right now while I'm in school. After I graduate next spring though, things will start happening with this truck.

Semi update... I changed out the rad, heater core, tstat, and temp sensor... Gets real hot now, first time since I bought the truck.

Plans are for a 1uz with an R series behind it, RUF SAS, chev backs, ford fuel tank and likely an interior cage.

Kinda just throwing ideas around. I really want to link it, but I don't have the driving skill or trail experience to be building a rig like that... So I figure making it capable an having fun with it, all within a reasonable budget and timeframe is the best idea.

Sent from the stone age
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 162035
Feel like ranting...

Changed the oil and temperature sensor yesterday, and noticed a slight metallic tinge to my oil. Silver like... When I drained the oil, I probably only got about half of what should have come out (haven't been diligent with checking my oil... and I had an oil pan leak for a while there...)

So now that I'm all paranoid and shit, I'm hearing a bit of a noise from the bottom end, which could be the start of some knock... Great.

Time to pull some money together and either RZ it for cheap, or pull MORE money together and 1UZ it. The RZ would be the simplest, but it's just not the engine I want.

Really hoping that it'll just plod along until I'm done school... It's not awful, and it runs great. Maybe I just imagined it? Haha...