2000 Chevy 1500 Solid axle swap. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29388
2000 Chevy 1500 Solid axle swap.

Ok before I start I realize that this is a sight for hardcore off-roading and this is NOT my wheeling rig but would appreciate some thoughts/help. I have a 2000 Chevy 1500 that is just a second vehicle that I just use to haul my ATV and general purpose around the house work (nothing major). I have the itch for a lifted truck to run just on the road pretty much for the looks because my other rigs are trailer queens. This started because I was looking into lift kits (I know I know, I hate kits) and am not going to pay $1500 for an IFS lift so the thought crossed my mind why not solid axle it. I have done this before on other trucks and I know I can build brackets easily. From what I have read, no one solid axles this year of truck because the frame is not strong enough in the front to hold up to the abuse of it off road. Since I will not be using it for off road is this really going to be a problem? I know I could try it and see but I hate to cut the front out of it and then realize that it was a mistake. From my understanding I will need a driver side drop front axle, again my thoughts are use a dana 44 because I don't really need much more than that and I'm not going to be running any lockers or anything like that. Anyways I guess my question/thoughts are that I could do this cheaper then a lift kit or for around the same price. Is there any major flaws in this thought? I have looked online just to see what types of kits there are for this (I'm not going to use a kit but just wanted to see what they were for an idea) and could not find any. I can find kits for years before and after but not for a 2000. Any thoughts or help would be great... Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 29388
bump
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 124684
why dont u just beef up the frame if ur worried bout it. gonna be a street queen. closest it'll get to an offroad scenario is if you run over a curb