Pirate 4x4 banner

Project Mall Crawler DD.

13K views 81 replies 31 participants last post by  FordX4-offroad 
#1 ·
Hello there, I have been a long time lurker not really ever posting up builds and whatnot but figured it was time and I'd start with a build for myself.
So I am need of a new shop truck, I don't need a trail rig that will be saved for when I build my flatfender. I want a truck that , Has plenty of Power and tourqe, Has 4wd, Isn't the same as everyone elses, and basicly just bad ass for a DD. Oh ya I want more than 15mpg too! I have owned a halfway decent R30 for a few years and it's been sitting becuase it needs a cam. I picked up a Dodge Ram 4x4 for the drivetrain that I'll be swapping in. Plans are Swap in the Dodge drivetrain, Run a 4-link up front, leafs in the back, Set it up to run 37's and make it a short bed. This isn't going to be an overnight build but as free time allows, in between customer projects.
A few pics,
What we started with

Ripped off the front end and pulled the 454 th400 out

The donor truck

Short bed just picked up the other day.

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like a good start..Personally id like to see you keep it 2wd and toss on some 19.5s but hey its ur truck and your needs..

If its not gonna see any trails i wouldnt link the front..Just run the norm 52" swap..While i have a crew with a linked front I did it for the trail performance.But i am very pleased with the linked front..

Please dont go sky high with the lift and run a decent sized tire..

#7 ·
Linked front, well because I can mostly and I would like to try and keep the dodge mounting on the front diff, I'm not going big, 37's for tire size probably 6" lift run some carli springs up front for a nice ride. Want to keep it very street able, had a mega with 37's and want to style it after that truck. It will be the trailer hauler also so a set of compounds will likely find it's way onto the engine. Got a lot of ideas, plans floating around in my head, very A.D.D. I am, lol. Want to try my hand at building a second overdrive behind the 47rh for highway trips. Think I have it figured out couple more nights waking up drawing on the carpet and I'll have it!
It started as trying to find a 2wd rh to put behind the engine airride, 19.5's but then ....... Not sure what happened got this vision in my head and it won't leave.

#9 ·
Just think it's cool. Everyone's got a dodge, there kinda like 5.0 mustangs around here, we do tons of work on them and know the ins and outs of them. I just like the 73-87 chevy trucks. I could use the dodge frame I suppose but then I would get lazy and just throw the body on. Doing it this way I'll have a 2012, 1987 chevy 1995 dodge!

This post has been deleted
#12 · (Edited)
Cummins? Its got a 318. Ya I know everyone is doing a cummins swap but still not as common as a dodge with a Cummins. I know its far ahead but trying to plan out the interior, What seats are a good fit for these trucks? I am looking to keep the 3+3 do 88-98 or 99-06 or 07+ seats fit best anyone have any experience with this?

#21 · (Edited)
In my never humble opinion...
The Internet has made the world much smaller. Sure you can find many squarebody Chevy CCSB's online, but I have only personally seen 2 in real life. One was mine. I can't even count how many people have come up to me to start a conversation about my truck, the dropped jaw looks, or the offers to buy it.
I guess it's all perspective.

Altered Image,
It's your truck, build it how you want it!

#26 ·
Figured everyone was harping on that a cummins chevy wasn't original, thought I would see how many people just read every word instead of using there heads logically, seems so far it's about half and half. The wheels are not going to be big, 16.5. And who the .... Cares what wheels are on it? Are you driving it? Don't like my build don't watch, if you think it's sorta cool follow along. We might just blow your mind.

#50 ·
I'm very interested in this build. I've got a very straight 94 F150 I've thought about using the Cummings in. Show the small details? Cooling, wiring, and shifter connections. Will you be rebuilding the Cummings, or is it a low mileage motor already?
Good luck, and it will be one of a kind.
Well kinda figured cummins was a given..... Pull out a big block for an off brand small block lmfao. ya your real smart if you thought that. I am getting a kick out of this. Internet tough guys at there finest. He'll you don't know if I'm a ten year old kid or 80 year old war veteran and your putting down my build from what would seem to me anyways from a definite joke about engine size. Ive looked at many build threads on here, everything is usually spelled out with a picture of everything, takes the fun out of it. The most fun you'll ever have building a project is planing it out in your head, different possibilities, options, build styles. Figured I would make people use there heads just a small amount.
I suppose that someone could have put a 12 valve sticker on the door. Thrown an intercooler behind the grill all for the sake of "looking the part" sorry if I confused anyone on the truck that I am building for Myself

Oh yes , Everyone have a Merry Christmas hope your day is great and filled with family and friends!
red incorrect, green correct

#33 · (Edited)
Well kinda figured cummins was a given..... Pull out a big block for an off brand small block lmfao. ya your real smart if you thought that. I am getting a kick out of this. Internet tough guys at there finest. He'll you don't know if I'm a ten year old kid or 80 year old war veteran and your putting down my build from what would seem to me anyways from a definite joke about engine size. Ive looked at many build threads on here, everything is usually spelled out with a picture of everything, takes the fun out of it. The most fun you'll ever have building a project is planing it out in your head, different possibilities, options, build styles. Figured I would make people use there heads just a small amount.
I suppose that someone could have put a 12 valve sticker on the door. Thrown an intercooler behind the grill all for the sake of "looking the part" sorry if I confused anyone on the truck that I am building for Myself

Oh yes , Everyone have a Merry Christmas hope your day is great and filled with family and friends!

#35 · (Edited)
Ok number one brother, this is the chevy section, not the tow rig section but alas..I actually thought this would turn out well..Second nobody needs to hold on to their seats while you post up claims of tech..We post detailed pics here because its a hardcore rock crawling site..Pics are very often way better than a few poorly chosen words..If you cant understand this then you haven't really designed or built anything.Taking the fun out of it is a laughable statement..Do you think the worlds structures would be built without blueprints?

While i get tired of the now becoming cookie cutter 52"64" spring swap and look at my flex builds I do understand that every one of them is different.Its the pics that are part of the tech, and the tech is a furthering lesson on how to get the final results..

Come back when the build is underway and the rig is 45% complete..

You would get a better welcome at one of those look at me chevy truck sites..

What could have been a refreshing thread turned out to have the same result of a guy taking his xmas bonus to get a hotel and calling a hot looking spanish hooker for outcall and finding out halfway into the wet sloppy BBBJTCIM that it is a T girl.lol

#36 ·
Like I said don't like it don't look, I am going to start this from the beginning, no sence starting it 45% done then someone asks you how you did something it was three trucks and four months ago and you forget all the little details. Like I said I'm building this in my spare time between builds for customers. If I started at 45% then you would get pics at 45% a lot would be done already. This rig will be a capable off road rig but because I don't want to smash body panels or scratch the nice paint it won't see much but fire roads and moderate open trail rides.
Again sorry I got some people's panties in a bunch but whatever. I'm old enough to be my own person but still young at heart not to care.
:flipoff2::flipoff2::
I'm not here to prove anything just wanted to post pics of my build not only for others but for myself as well.

#40 ·
Like I said don't like it don't look, I am going to start this from the beginning, no sence starting it 45% done then someone asks you how you did something it was three trucks and four months ago and you forget all the little details. Like I said I'm building this in my spare time between builds for customers. If I started at 45% then you would get pics at 45% a lot would bedone already. This rig will be a capable off road rig but because I don't want to smash body panels or scratch the nice paint it won't see much but fire roads and moderate open trail rides.
Again sorry I got some people's panties in a bunch but whatever. I'm old enough to be my own person but still young at heart not to care.
:flipoff2::flipoff2::
I'm not here to prove anything just wanted to post pics of my build not only for others but for myself as well.
He's saying document your build from the beginning with pictures and when you finally have something to show, post up a series of pics....vs acouple worthless pictures and your big plans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.