Pirate 4x4 banner

Steering problems

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  g-wizz 
#1 ·
Hey guys wanted to see if I could get some help with the steering on my 75 k20. Has the dana 44 front axle, 2 inch spring lift (soft ride springs), new ball joints, tie rods, drag link, steering box, rag joint, and had it aligned at firestone. After all the new parts and time I've put the thing is still spooky to drive at 45mph or more. It wanders back and fourth and just doesn't feel tight I guess. I know its going to feel a little more rough from the solid axle but it is just hard to drive. I don't wheel the truck or anything just use it for camping and daily driving sometimes. Running 265 70 16 tires on it also. Any ideas on what I can check change to make it drive better feel safer I guess.

#8 ·
this, check and see if the lift you put on it requires a shim, make sure its on correctly ect. if your driving the thing your caster/king pin inclination is more important than your pinion angle.

#3 ·
tire balance, separated tires, steering stabilizer.

also, make sure the steering box area is not cracked, this can lead to all sorts of problems.

#5 ·
The area around the box is not cracked at all. the stabilizer is new also. I did notice the drag link slopes down toward the back from the pitman atm to the steering arm since the lift. Would a raised steering arm help this by getting the drag link flat again? Just a thought I had.

#13 ·
for what? cross over, or the stock push and pull. cause with the sthock push and pull there arnt any "drop" pitman arms. all they do is keep your rod ends at a happy(stock) angle.

#14 · (Edited)
raised steering arm recommended for 3-4" lifts: http://www.jackit.com/suspension-parts/steering-and-accessories/steering-info/pcs-gm400.html

DROP PITMAN ARM FOR LIFTS AROUND 2": http://www.jackit.com/suspension-parts/steering-and-accessories/steering-info/skj-ca50.html

you really want the steering drag link on a push pull system to be centered in the suspensions up/down cycle. that is why these steering components are essential when installing a lift kit. this will minimize the amount of bump steer you get. also, a good stiff steering stabilizer was key on my truck when i was still running the stock push-pull steering, it really helped with the bump steer.

The pitman arm may be what you need, but with all the new stuff you installed i would go back over everything and make sure it's all tight, especially the U-bolts, they tend to stretch/settle in after first installed and need to be retorqued. make sure not to overtorque. also jack up the axle one side at a time and check for any play in the wheel bearings. with the wheel off the ground, grab the tire and rock it back and forth. last, the cracks in the frame around the box may not be easily visible, have someone steer it back and forth while you check it carefully.

depending on what tools you have a steering arm can be a bear to install, especially if there is any rust. a pitman arm may be easier, or way cheaper to have someone install if you need them to. make sure to loctite the nut on the bottom of the steering shaft, it can loosen even with a lock washer.

#15 ·
frequently on push pull steering, you can induce problems even with new lifts.

one issue that a lot of people dont see is worn bolt holes in the front spring eye on the drivers side.

cycle the steering (or have someone do it) while you watch the front left leaf spring eye and bolt. if the bolt moves front to back, you have issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.