Pirate 4x4 banner

K5 Blazer to scout swap help.

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  78ChevyK5 
#1 ·
Ok so to start out I have a 78 blazer with dana 60 front 14b rear on 37's with 350/350/203. The k5 body has a TON of rust and is slowly falling apart.
I am getting a clean rust free 74 scout with chevy dana 44 front 12 bolt rear no motor, tranny, or tcase and full cage.My plan is to mix these two vehicles to come up with the best possible vehicle for light mud/trails and rocks.

So here is my question Would it be better to swap the body from the scout onto my blazer frame since it already runs and drives or swap my stuff onto the scout frame? I understand the scout is narrower and shorter so either way fab work will be in order, but which will be the least trouble with best results?

#2 · (Edited)
I would think swapping the scout onto the blazer frame would be the better choice. That way you won't have to mess with the drivetrain to much. Either frame could probably use some boxing/reinforcements so don't forget to reinforce the steering box if you use the k5 frame.

EDIT: I just noticed you said the scout has a full cage. Depending on the quality of the cage, and being narrower/shorter wheel base maybe you should use the scout frame....ha fuck it I'm no help, I'm gonna go color now.

#5 ·
I would say clean up the scout, reinforce everything, plumb everything good and neat while you enjoy the k5 then swap your junk into the scout. one thing I wish I would have done differently to my jimmy (other than a 6.0 swap instead of tbi 454), is pay more attention to details and do everything clean as possible before I had it together. Its way easier to do the small things with no power train

#10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. The scout used to be running a dana 60 front and rear. He is giving me the rear b/c the perches are already narrowed for the scout frame. I am going to use my front 60 b/c it was just rebuild 2 weeks ago. The scout already has chevy motor mounts so swaping my powertrain in wont be too much of a hassle.I am going to check the frame all over for signs of stress and box it in. then run new cross members and spray on some por15. So since this will be a 75% chevy vehicle I can still post the build in chevy right...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.