Pirate 4x4 banner

Duramax np273 transfercase swap?

22K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  LS-YJEEP 
#1 ·
Hey maybe you guys can help me. I have a straight axle Duramax and want to do the np273 swap. The truck has an electronic np263 and I have an electronic np273 case from an 2001 F350, reindexing ring and yokes. Were can I get the input shaft to go from a 24 spline ( np263 ) to a 31 spline ( np273 ). Am I over looking anything else. Thank for any help

#7 ·
I put the 29 spline input gear from my 261XHD in a 241 and it was a direct swap. The only difference was the diameter of the main shaft where it went into the back side of the input gear. Just required welding it up and turning it to size.

Take them apart and see.

#10 · (Edited)
Don't try to come back with an attitude. It isn't advice, it is one of the rules set by the Moderators, dickhead.
Three fucking threads about the same thing:shaking::shaking::shaking:
Since you have your information, how about deleting some of this shit.

Goddamn newbie POS

No questions about where to buy spark plugs or what size tire will fit on a stock truck.
No questions about fixing power windows or sprucing up your floor mats
No personal attacks or threats.
No For Sale or Wanted threads
No Spam
No board wars
Don't cross post to multiple forums.

But don't sweat it, because we all know you're special.

#12 ·
From what I've been told the input you need is the dodge 273 29 spline input that had a 6 speed. Iam still waiting on a used one so I cannot verify it yet. Your gonna have to put a speed sensor in the tailhousing ( there's info on the parts you need for that on here), and your gonna have to figure out the shift motor. Who did you source the clocking ring from?

#16 ·
Duramax40, did you ever figure this out?? I am trying to do the same thing right now and having a hard time finding anyone up in Alaska that can do the work...or knows what or how to do it. It seems like a simple ideas!....find a Ford 273 that has the VSS port and push button shift motor....then swap a Allison input shaft into it. I know I could just buy one from Transfercase Express, but I thought I might save my self $1000 by getting one up here and doing the swap instead of shipping a new one up from Cali. I've tried contacting WFO and TE and they have a REAL hard time getting back to me...just short answers like "yes, we have it"...but then won't email me prices, shipping options, swap kits options, etc, etc. Another question I had was, do I NEED a fixed rear output shaft if I'm running a carrier bearing? That shaft isn't going anywhere when the rear suspension flexes right? Anyway, just wondering what you ended up doing for your swap...of if you even did it. Thanks!

#18 · (Edited)
I havent finished the case project yet. I did talk to Wfo, very helpful and nice guys. TE they were kinda rude a d did seem to want my business either. Before I purchased one I figured I'd try figuring it out. But I thought the same thing about the 273 tail housing speedo mount ( that seem to come in 2004ish dodges) might have to machined to fit the Chevy sensor right. I took apart the shift motor to find we're the gears sit. The punch mark on the right is chevy 263 and left is ford 273 with the marks lined up like they are, the chevy actuator will bolt up to the 273 with the bottom 2 bolts. Don't know what to do with the top one. I have an indexing ring for the 273, Allison gasket and ford 273 gasket matched up but dont know if there clocked different, one of these days ill test fit it. that's as far as iv got with it. I could be wrong about all of it that's just what I found. Hope it helps

#21 ·
Thanks for the info Duramax! I just ended up biting the bullet and buying the bolt-on ready 273 from TE. Once I talked to them on the phone (and didn't wait for an email) they were pretty decent to deal with. After talking with both them and Toby at Lavender brothers / XXX traction I just decided to get the unit that I know works. It's really not that complicated if you have your own machine shop, or access to one every day...but I don't have time for that stuff. I need to get this truck back on the road to pull my snowmachine trailer!...tired of using the wive's H2 ;) It sounds like they just machine the case to accept that top bolt for a Chevy shift motor, then they mill a port on the tail housing to screw a VSS sensor into.....and lastly they machine a place on the rear output shaft for a tone ring! Enough work for me to spend the extra couple hundred dollars and know it's going to work and work right! Keep us posted on your progress though, very interested in doing more of these and knowing every facet of the process in case I'm inspired to do it myself with a stock Ford case in the future!

#22 ·
Vss

Why not just machine and press a tone ring onto the output shaft of the Allison? Then you are good not matter what transfer case or future doubler setup you run. Speedo will be off in low but who cares? What am I missing here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.