Pirate 4x4 banner

Tail housing Help please - 95 k2500

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Girondaws 
#1 ·
Alright, I'm brand new to the site, and I'm looking for some help on my beloved truck. I'm a married with 3 kids soldier who depends on my truck to get me to work cause my wife needs her ride for work and the kids. I'm a DIY guy and I think I can tackle this issue.

I have a 95 gmc k2500 long bed 4l60 auto trans. At some point during normal highway driving to and from work my tail shaft housing cracked, well I should say broke in half completely. Ive never ran the truck off road and it's been only used for commuting.

Is it possible to put the truck up on stands, remove front and rear drive shafts, drop the transfer case and remove the tailshaft housing for replacement or have it welded? Is it that sime or is there something crazy to it.

Please help

Thanks

#3 ·
They usually don't just break on their own. Were you getting any sort of vibration prior to the failure? Make sure to replace the output shaft snap ring even if it isn't broken yet. I use the Ford 1356 output shaft clips which never go bad again.

With the truck in 2wd, have someone put the truck in gear (foot on brake) so that you can watch to make sure the output shaft is not bent. Turn the truck off with the key before putting it back into park!

That tail-cone is the most common one used. Lots of s-10's, K1500-3500 (SRW only), Durango, Dakota, Dodge Rams, etc... used them. There are many exceptions to the rule, but those are potential donors. Pretty much all of them with a four bolt flange are the same.

#4 ·
I was felling vibration above 70mph, but I never ran it above 60mph , which was all interstate driving. I haven't gotten the truck in the garage yet , but I do have pics of where it is broken. It's more in the middle , being a complete crack around the housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.