Pirate 4x4 banner

56inch front springs clarifications

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  farfromhome63 
#1 ·
Hey guys Im getting ready to swap 56s on my truck, I had a few questions because I couldnt find the answers via my search..
When you use 56s can you leave shackle mount in stock location?
Aprox how far forward are you guys mounting these springs?
When you flex them in the front are you getting negative arch at full compression?

Thanks

#2 ·
i can't vouch for all 56's, but the ones i got off of a 80's chevy truck are as follows: they are the same length from the pack center pin to the front spring eye as a 52" spring, just the tail half of the spring is longer. i did have to re-locate my rear spring shackle point on the frame. i think i set it a little far back (kind of in the center of the body mount bracket on the frame). if i was to do it again i would put it just under the front part of the body mount bracket and trim the bracket.

you may find that the spring and bushing kits such as the one offered by DIY4x are good to use for making this mount. they are a little narrower than my springs were though, so i used some offset shackles such as the ones Ruffstuff Specialties offeres. the spring eyes are about 1/4" wider so i got two 1/8" offset shackles so everything is nice and square.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. Considering this is only a rig that sees street in between trails.. im 40 miles from hammers... and I really dont care about road manners..

Would you even bother with the 56s? Ive been through this with an old dodge with a big block so there was a lot more weight up front.. I ran ford ranger rear leafs and those would easily max a 15 inch shock.. they were really soft and really easy to find in good shape.. I then ran 52s and they were a little stiffer but I bent them really quick.. Now I have 3 freaking sets of springs in my garage and cant decide on witch ones to use..

Ive got some questionable 56s where a few springs are broken so I dont have the full 9 leaf pack.

I have some newer f350 procomp 2inch lift springs happen to be 56 inches centered pin. i pulled two leafs and they seems to be pretty good compromise not so soft that they are a limp noodle..

and I have a set of rear f350 leafs that are also 56 but they are 25/31
they are softer than the front pack.. oh the f350 springs are 3inch wide btw.

ahh and I can get a set of free rear 52s from a c1500 mid 70s i believe. So I dont know wtf todo..

#7 ·
I plan on doing a 52 inch swap simply because i have them. SOes anyone know of a build thread or any thread that can show pros and cons of kits like the b52 and ive seen people running sqare tubing welded under the frame with the leaf brackets on the bottom of that.

#8 ·
b52 kit is worth it's weight. very adjustable, and if you have to re-locate the axle it's as simple as unbolt and move the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.