Pirate 4x4 banner

94 k1500 tbi queston

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  retorq 
#1 ·
the tbi unit used on my 94 is a little different than any of the other tbi's i have had it uses 2 bolts to hold down the air cleaner instead of 1 and it has a 2 pin tps instead of a 3 pin on it. the motor was rebuilt 350 when i bought it and it blew a head gasket and i was considering ordering a vortec long block and doing a gmpp intake with tbi on a vortec i was just wondering what differences there may be between the two throttle bodies and would a pre flash chip form tbichips.com with my stock tbi make a good daily driver

#2 ·
I've never seen anyone make a Vortec head SB work with TBI. Have watched it tried 3 times and never worked out. Both ended up putting a carb on instead of TBI and it worked fuckin awesome. 454 TBI, perf chips, a/m TBI units...

I'm sure someone has made it work right, but all the one's I've seen have hesitated on heavy acceleration and had starting problems after warm.

Just my .02

#3 ·
Mine works like a champ. not your run of the mill setup though. 6" rod 383, stock vortecs,factory LT1 hydraulic roller cam, carb intake, adapter, Holley aftermarket 454 TBI, stock 88 V3500 chip. Only issue I haven't been able to solve is the random no high idle on cold starts. Does it maybe once out of every 20 start cycles???

I have done two other stock trucks with vortec longblocks. All of them have had some sort of nagging issue due to the lack of EGR and/or no speed sensors. All of them were solveable, but customers have decided to deal with them.

#4 ·
thank you very much for both of you input the only reason i was asking is the price of a vortec long block is the same as a tbi long block and i would rather have the vortec head. and just for the record i am not doing any major off roading its mostly a daily driver that has left me stuck with a blown head gasket and warped head so i think i am just going to go for a stock tbi long block any tips other than a better intake to gain some more power out of the tbi maybe a higher lift cam (dont know how the computer likes different cams).

#5 · (Edited)
New guy here ... Can't say about the 2 pin TPS vs 3 pin but my TBI (95 4dr 2WD Tahoe) had provisions for both dual studs and a single stud air cleaner. I went with a single and open filter old school setup.

My combo is stock TBI with free mods, stock injectors, Vortec heads with LS6 beehive springs, Stock TBI cam, Professional Products "RPM AirGap" Vortec intake, TBI to Carb adapter ... runs pretty well with a custom chip and pump from TBIChips.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.