Pirate 4x4 banner

My S10 Truggy build.

208K views 329 replies 88 participants last post by  Austingotboost 
#1 ·
This has been extremely long time in the making. Ive been collecting parts and waiting patiently. I have had a full size Dodge and I think its pretty capable but I wanted something I could wheel and not have to worry about getting back home. It will towed most of the time. Also want it to fit on the trails! My objective is to have a vehicle that is titled and licensed but be a little wild. I decided on using a S10 2wd that didn't run when I bought it. I'm not a master fabricator but I'm gonna do my best. Here is some of the parts going into it:

350 tbi
TH 400
Atlas 4 speed(5.44 low range)
GM dana 60
14 bolt rear
All 4 link suspension
2.5" Air shocks 16" travel
Recentered Humvee wheels
42" pitbull rockers(most likely)

I've ditched the stock frame and basically starting on a vehicle from scratch. First thing I did was buy some 1/8" angle iron and get my drive train in the air to start building around.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Next thing I did is I got some 2x3 1/8" wall and ordered up 200' of 1.75" .120 wall DOM tube. Im starting with the rectangular first and then going to be caging it in the rest. The attached pic is about a week of working on it. I got the most main rails made and got the motor mounts and the tranny mount done.

#3 ·
Then I started on the front 4 link. I made a plate thats bolted on to the pumpkin and uses one of the leaf spring bolts and two 1/2" bolts that are under the heim. Im trying to keep this build low and and stable. I'm thinking I will run about 6" of uptravel and 10" down. Here is some pics of the suspension getting cycled.

#7 ·
Next was the rear. It was much easier. Not a whole lot of clearance issues unlike the front. My lower links are 1.75" .25 wall lower links and the uppers are 1.5" .25" wall. I almost went to .120" wall uppers but I never want to them to break so I just went with the .25" wall. All the work in this thread was done in about a month. I am very happy with my progress so far and lets hope it keeps on keeping on.

#10 · (Edited)
This is what I'm wanting to do with the cab. I'm not bolting the cab on. It's going to be part of the roll cage itself. I want the body to be protected somewhat. But I'm not to fond of exo cages and internal cages don't protect the outside at all. Now I know it will eventually get mangled but this should slow it to make the body last for a while. The tube will have a lot of roll bends and the tubes on the top and sides are going to be frenched in. I think I'm using right term. Here's a little drawing I did at lunch today.

#13 ·
Here's what I got done this weekend so far. I cut the back of the cab off and cut out where there engine is. Then I rolled the cab outside and my Dad and I laid it on the frame. After some measuring I figured out that with 6" of uptravel the truck will be only be roughly 80" tall. :smokin: Im going to need to get different headers. The S10 V8 swap headers aint gong to work so Ill be selling them. Here is some pics of the approximate placement of the cab.

#15 ·
In a earlier post I talked about how I don't like the look of exo cages. I have seen some good ones but my idea is to attach my cage onto the body. The tube will be half way inside the body and half outside body. It is a little different but it will be unique. I think it's gonna look cool but it is going to be alot of work but I'm ok with that. Here is some roll bends that I've made. The chalk is the back of the cab i made that when I laid the cab on its back Should give a little idea of what I'm doing.

#16 ·
you should have DEFFINETLY left the back of the cab on there. you could have left the tube tucked close enough to the body where it wouldnt have been that noticeable? or notched it into the cab. totally eliminating the back of the cab, MAJOR thumbs down.

#21 · (Edited)
Just got word today that I don't think I'm going to very busy this summer at work. :D I now have more motivation than ever to get this done quickly so I can wheel with it. Plan on seeing some updates on this weekend for sure. Cab is nearly ready to be put on right now. I can't wait.

#22 ·
So I got outta work early today. That means I had time to work on my truck. The last couple of days I was cutting my rock slider supports that tie the sliders into the frame. Today I attached them and got the cab in place. I'm going to have almost a 5 foot bed. Which is good because this is going to be a recreational truck. Should have good weight distribution. Took a few pics.

#32 ·
Worked on the truck a little. I think the pieces that I making here are the hardest to make. Didn't make as much progress as I thought I was gonna get this weekend but its some at least. I don't know if I'm gonna change the firewall/lower windshield tube. I'm not really totally happy with it. Let me know what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.