Pirate 4x4 banner

clutch slipping

625 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gas-man 
#1 ·
I've got an SM465 behind a Vortec 5.7 with a relatively new flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. When I set up the clutch, I made sure to leave a little clearance between the throwout bearing and pressure plate with the pedal released.

The problem I have now is that the clutch does not fully release after the clutch is engaged for the first time; it slips when starting from a stop and when shifting up or down. When I try to jiggle the clutch fork to see if there was any slop, I saw that there was none and the throwout bearing stays pressed against the pressure plate.

I pulled the tranny and made sure that the throwout bearing moves smoothly on the input shaft retainer, and it does. The clutch fork I'm using is just a cheap piece from the local parts store, so would it be possibly that having the wrong fork would cause binding?

Has anyone else encountered this or have an idea what may be going on?

#2 ·
if it's hydraulic, try cracking the bleeder after you experience this problem. maybe pressure is staying in the line just enough to cause it to not fully release.

if this is it, a possible cause is the master cylinder not adjusted properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.