Pirate 4x4 banner

91 crewcab shortbed wheeler

7K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  Bikes&bowties 
#1 ·
Well I'm 17 and a senior in highschool. I haven't posted much here but I've read a lot so I know you guys are tough. That's why I want you to read some reasoning before you bash me.

I'm building this to flip (sell, not roll), I want it to be a toy but also a decent looking street truck so I can actually sell it. if I were to build this to keep I would run 52" springs up front and 64" springs out back and 8 lugs and a lighter flatbed. Plus modifications that always come with time.

This is mostly going to be copied from my thread at 67-72chevy. Like I said I'm doing it on a budget to flip but I'm not half assing it and passing on problems to the future owner. And I will have prices listed throughout and in this post for shit so you guys can bash on me for paying to much.

88 burban $450+ $100 for fuel
91 cab no rust $200
Painting shit $100
Consumables (welding supplies) $40
Th350/np205 $200

#2 ·
Started out with this 87 k10 for $450 which I pulled the perfect front clip off for my other crewcab project.

I picked up this 91 cab with all the wiring untouched for $200 at about the same time about.

Day One

Took off the burban body but left it by the shop. I will be stripping the interior and scrapping the rest.

Then I lifted it 4 inches (springs, shackle flip)

I cut off the back of the frame rails as far as I could without moving the fuel tank. First time I used that grinder, cuts frame like butter.

#3 ·
Day Two

I got the cab on the frame and started hooking up the harness and changing the few plugs that needed changed, got it all together but didn't try firing it up.

I had to decide whether I wanted this to be a universal street legal rig or make it strictly a wheeler. This is what it looked like

Wheeler- I would have moved the tank above the frame and forward directly behind the cab and chopped the frame at the rear spring hanger.

Instead I wanted a more universal truck that would work and look half decent every where. So I decided to move the axle back 12.5 inches. Leaving me with about 68" behind the cab for a 66" flatbed

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

#4 ·
Day Three

Tried getting it started. No cigar... Has fuel out the injectors, and has spark. That's as far as I looked into it. I found that the evrv connector wasn't connected because I couldn't find the connection. I will probably work on that more tomorrow... And I need to pull the trans, it's supposedly new but the input seal has issues, I hate 700r4's grr

Well I don't know where to get a 5.5 foot flatbed and this is on a budget so I am building one out of scrap. I'm not totally happy with it but it's free besides consumables to far. For the sheet metal on the back I had to make do with an irrigation pivot banner which wasn't wide enough to the whole back... I will add big ole mud flaps and once it is more finished it should look much better (I hope)

#9 ·
Nothing wrong with using scraps..I do it all the time..One day i hope to get another boiler retube so i can get some extra 2" .120 wall.

But going through all this work to "flip" a truck..LOL your in the wrong line of work.

#11 · (Edited)
When you "flip" a vehicle, you want to do as little as possible for the most profit. Certain vehicles are good and tons are bad for flipping. Calculate what your worth per hour, material, power useage and estimated finished value.

This reminds me of the DIY channel where idiots spend 100k and 6 months time to ad 80k value.

#24 ·
looks like a good build so far, good to see a young person out building something instead of doing drugs or some other crap.

Does the cc bolt to the burb frame, or do you have to fab a rear cab mount?

^^^THIS. Carry on young man.

#20 ·
looks like a good build, but i think your gonna be dissapointed when you "flip" this rig and think your gonna bank on it.

1/2 tons, 36's, flatbed, im just not seeing the value. but its your project and have fun with it.

and everyone quit hatin on yellow rigs! heres mine.

#25 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, even you pessimists;) I'm not expecting to make bank but honestly even a few hundred dollars profit wouldn't make me cry, and I WILL have fun with it before i sell it. Only problem for you guys is it won't be super extreme trails lol. Just local stuff. Don't wanna break the 10 bolts.

I chose yellow because I thought it kinda fit the "toy" idea, it was bright and got attention. You guys mean you can't drop the suspension mounts for lift? Shit I was impressed with my 10 inch lifted crew.... Damn:/ haha! Anyone wanna post up a link to that thread? It might make me regret yellow.

#34 ·
Gone Huntin- Your wheeler is one of the ones that i used to get this idea! I have its picture on my phone and thats what i showed people to show what it would kinda be like.

Im putting the tranny in after school and may get it all buttoned up if i have the parts I might need for drivelines. Then Ill go take it for a spin!

#35 ·
the bed being made from scrap material and unfinished could have some potential. This is where you get creative and add things that you need onto it. Not all projects start out looking like they were worth a darn. Just plug away at it, search for more ideas and modify till you are happy.

The fun thing about our hobby is you build it, wheel it, break it, fix it and do it all over again. You started out with a good platform that is easily modified and parts are plenty.

Have fun with it!

I am working on my short bed crew with cummins swap and it takes a while.

#36 ·
Is your crew a brown and white one with a flatbed?

Yeah I have another CCLB that the money goes into... It's the one that's slowly turning into a steet queen (but consider I live on a farm, so street consists of a lot of rutted dirt roads, not a mall parking lot lol) but that's how I want it. Big and poserish but with all the parts it needs to hold it's own haha. I do enjoy this budget build tho. I think it's more enjoyable knowing it's not costing much. Haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.