Pirate 4x4 banner

Battery corrosion question

635 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Joey D 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so this may be a no brainier for some of you out there but I don't get it. My 2007 GMC 2500HD every once in a while, when you turn the key, clicks once but won't turn over. I've noticed that when this happens the ground on the pass. side batt has that white corrosion crap on it. A quick jump will get me back on the road after cleaning that batt terminal but it usually happens again in about a week

Any ideas why only that ground term is getting corroded by itself?
Anything I can do to keep that from happening?

Thanks for any and all help

#2 ·
Pull all the terminals off of the batteries. Clean all contacting surfaces with a wire brush. Coat ALL contacting surfaces with GREASE (a good high-temp grease) and reassemble. I've been doing this for decades and never have had a corrosion/poor connection problem.

#5 · (Edited)
Cut the plastic crap off the terminal ends and remove the 5/16 bolt, wire brush the end down to be nice and clean. I use a 3/8 x 1.25 long bolt with a nut on it to bolt it to the battery. Thread the nut all the way up the bolt, then install the cable with the new bolt, tighten the 3/8 bolt into the battery until it bottoms out, then tighten the nut, while holding the bolt with a wrench, down to clamp the terminal end to the battery and coat it all with grease like already said.
This is a pic of this done without removing the plastic on the terminal end but i think it holds water in there so I cut it all off.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.