Pirate 4x4 banner

How common was a truck 12 bolt with posi?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Goathearder 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All,
I just got a powertrax no slip to put in the 12 bolt in my 73 K5 but the damn thing doesn't fit. Basically, the diameter on the side gears is about 40 mm and the diameter on the couplers on the locker that replace the side gears are freakin 42 mm.

I was looking around on the powertrax site and their app guide lists Open diffs or GM Gov Locs (no application for the latter). When I pulled the cover off, I definitely had some kind of posi unit in there and when I took out the side gears 80% of the clutch plates just crumbled into multiple pieces so pretty sure it was smoked.

In any case, how common were 12 bolt truck axles with posi's in that era. Does anyone know if the carrier from a posi axle is different from the carrier in a true open diff???

I tried to call powertrax all day today and no one answered so I am hoping to find some answers.

#2 ·
sucks, i just sold an eaton 12b posi.

sounds like you got the wrong powertrax unit.

really, gm usually skimped out on thier trucks, the best we get besides the very few with detroits (14 bolts), is a gov-loc. most that i've ever seen are open diffs.

you are going to have to probably buy a posi like i did and put it in. i wheeled for many years with that posi. it was great for dirt and snow, ok in the mud. if your going for a detroit, i wouldn't recommend it in a 12b though, IMHO the way to make a c clip diff last without c-clip eliminators is to shim the gears so that with the axles installed in the diff, there is little to no free play between the ends of the axles and the diff center pin. this keeps the axles from slamming back and forth-which in turn hammers the c-clips. also, i've only found that posi diffs are shimmable on the diff gears.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.