Pirate 4x4 banner

bought a k20, need some input

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wingnuts514 
#1 ·
So I scored a super clean 86 k20 for cheap. Frame has been fixed where steering box mounts, not sure how good of a repair though. Has a 4" unknown brand 4" lift with 33's.

Ok so I want crossover steering from ord, but what rig do I get the pass flat top knuckle from? Do I need both knuckles off the same axle?

My rig is a. 350/400/205 with d44 front and 14bff rear. Not sure what gearing.

The rig had a 700r4 before the 400 trans but for some reason the trans won't kick down, and there isn't a linkage for the trans. How can I fix that?
Also I'm doing a afi tbi kit and I need to know if I need new fuel lines or can I just add a return line and use factory? Also where's the best place for the o2 bung, header or y pipe?

#2 ·
The 400 has an electric kickdown.It is activated by a switch at the gas pedal.
As for the flattop knuckle.You can get them off of the older D44's.Like IIRC 75 and older.Or order new aftermarket ones.

#3 ·
B&M 400 kickdown switch kit thats $30 you can order from summit. Fuel injection needs to have a pressurize fuel lines. You may need to change you sending unit at the fuel tank as well. I would do some more research about changing to fuel injection.

#5 ·
you will need both knuckles from the donor vehicle.

TRE (Tie Rod Ends) go into the knuckle differently, based on design and year. early designs went in tapering from the top, later designs had the taper from the bottom. It wouldnt work well to interchange them.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I ordered the b and m kickdown switch just a minute ago. The knuckle isn't a flat top. I guess ill get a new pair of knuckles to have the tres go down(nut on bottom). I've done a lot of research on the afi tbi kit, and its a low pressure system(22psi or so). I guess ill buy some braided line or high pressure hard lines and bend them myself. A lot has been changed on this truck from sto stock and I'm still trying to figure out everything. What's a good gear ratio for the 400 and 35's? Has a 4" and 33's but I want 35's with a rear locker and open front

#9 ·
#13 ·
well I don't deny that. :flipoff2: But until I can buy the highsteer arm for the driver side it works. I could have drilled them out, built a tierod and ran 3/4" heims but that seems like a waste of $$$ vs the highsteer.

All it did was make the tierod about 3/32" shorter (and a slight angle) so it just toe'd in the tires a bit, tracks like an arrow down the trail now. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.