Pirate 4x4 banner

1972 chevy k20 long bed 3/4 ton 4x4 rear axle questions

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Grumpy_old_fart 
#1 ·
hi my name is jake and i own a 1972 chevy k20 long bed 3/4 ton 4x4. i have a eaton 3rd member ho72 8 lug rear axle and im wondering what i can do as far as lockers for it. im not familar with this rear axle and havent seen it except in my truck and one other truck. i have looked online with no luck for parts and or knowledge about this rear axle. i was told it has a limited slip 4.11 gear ratio. weather this is true is unknown. i'd like to spool it or go with a lighter equivalent of that. what would my options be. is there a greater benefit of swaping this axle out for a 14bff? this truck is a dd / whenever wheeler. tire size is 305 75 r16 dick cepek mud country on 06 aluminum dmax wheels. np 205 transfer case and th350 trans with a stock 350 290 hp crate engine with 450 460 cam carb headers h.e.i. let me know if you require any more info to better answer my question as i will answer to the best of my knowledge. also with this setup is there a special gear oil i should / need to run in it. and i do need a front seal for it right behind the yoke and it leaks out of the passenger side. the rear inside wall of the tire has gear oil on it and the 2 inch wheel spacer has gear oil on it. ideas? comments? all comments information would be greatly appreciated as i like to research and know what im tearing into before i tear into it. . . thank you jake. . .

#6 ·
leak: inner wheel bearing seal.

rear diff options: detroit locker (No Spin)

14b FF axles are more modern, but not more strong. You will have to work at it to break it.

14b disc brake kits are a bolt on.

the housing is steel, not cast iron in the center, allowing it to be welded directly to for link mounts, spring mounts, shock mounts, etc.

the diff is the same basic design as a 9 inch, also is a drop out center, but the rear cover comes off... which you found out if you looked under the truck or read the HO72 thread... and yes, there is an HO72 thread... find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.