Pirate 4x4 banner

Chevy 153-4cyl. engine build

16K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  maht_g 
#1 ·
I have a 1957 DJ3A converted to 4wd that has a 1970 Chevy 153cu.in.4cy. engine in front of a SM420-4spd. and Dana 18 Tcase with a Warn OD unit.
5.38 gearing Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear both with lockers and the rear has Chromalloy axles. I do not want destroy the Jeep at this time doing a major engine upgrade that would meen an all new drive train and frame etc..
At a later date I plan to build a custom flat fender with an aluminum boby new frame LS engine and so on. My question and why I ask this on the Chevy forum is, does anyone know of are where to start in building more power in the 153 Chevy engine that is in the Jeep. I know at one time they had a very good following in the circle track sprint cars. I got this first hand from a prominant circle track racer that I know. Any help on this subject would be apreciated. And by the way the reason I am even concidering this besides what I have already stated is that my 153 is tiring and would like to continue to run it in this jeep until I build the new jeep over the next two years. I also am in the start of a Rockwell tube buggie so I do not want to park the Jeep until the buggie is done. Thanks

#3 ·
No it is not an Iron Duke. The 153 is a different motor. It is basically 2/3 of a Chevy 250 6 cylinder.

The easiest way to get more power from your 153 is to get a 181 short block. It is most commonly found in 140 hp Mercruiser applications and is also referred to as a 3 liter Mercruiser. It was also used in other commercial equipment including welders, generators, and forklifts. Use whatever head you have since the intake and exhaust work on that one. Should give you a compression bump as well but I am not positive on that. The 153 is the same short block as the 2.5 Merc AKA 120 hp motor.

Comp makes cams and Clifford still has headers (they used to make an aluminum intake but they are scarce anymore.)

I have a 3.0 that I plan on installing in my A1 at some future date but I need a lot of the parts you already have like exhaust manifold and rear sump oil pan. Most of the 153/181 motors are front sump. The 153 was the base motor in the Chevy II from '63 to '70, but they are EXTREMELY rare in the '68-'70 cars. They were also in DJ jeeps from '68-'70.

#6 ·
Does anyone make a stand alone injection system for these engines? I kind of like the idea of the turbo, it might make for an interesting challenge. But like I in the start, trying to keep it simple. I need to freshen it up and add more horse under the hood.

#8 · (Edited)
ahh the old gm 3.0L i work on tones of these in the material handling industry, just find one of them and run that, solid engine for sure, in JLG aerial equipment they use the 3.0L with multi port system, the controls are from a company called PSI (power solutions inc) but you could probably find the manifold they use and control it with something cheep like megasquirt diy fuel injection.

or go with poor mans fuel injection lol propane :D

http://psiengines.com/products/psi-3-0l/

#12 ·
If you go efi, you might consider a stand alone mpfi or a cheap tbi unit. you can get stock two barrel tbi stuff all day long.

I agree with the turbo statement, go to junkyard find a saab 4 banger they are alll between 2l -2.5l and the turbo should be perfect because your not going to scream the engine, most of the saabs make full boost by 2krpm so that should make your engine happy considering itll make boost by maybee 12-1800 man it would be torquey!

#13 ·
Thanks for the input I would like to continue to keep this forum open since this is an ongoing project. I do appreciate the information and what ever I end up doing I will post the results for anyone to use. I have located some sprint car parts that are coming to me in the near future, 3-heads, 1-crank, and a set of pistons but they may be to high of compression for pump gas. When I get these parts I will determin what I will do.

#14 · (Edited)
As far as midgets go, i believe the Fontana and Gearte motors are chevy based. Not sure what they are based off of but it might help in your search. Might be iron duke based, i dunno, we run an Esslinger :flipoff2:

Oh and sprint car = V8. Midget = 4cyl. And most of the midget stuff you'll find that is semi-modern will be designed to run on alcohol.

#15 ·
Sorry I know what I ment even if I said it wrong, you are correct Midget is the correct term. The 153-I4 from what I have been told is not the Iron Duke but my contact has told me that what he has is for a 153, so I will see what he brings me and either work from there or leave it stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.