Pirate 4x4 banner

Compare transmission

1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Go5.3tt06 
#1 ·
I just want to see what is y'all opinion about k10. Which do you like to drive a sm465 manual or th400 or turbo350 tranny. I know np205 is full gears more stronger than np208. I know sm465 not that fast accleration. But th400 would be good to dependable drive?

#7 · (Edited)
People understand grammar because they grow up *hearing* mostly correct grammar so when they *hear* something or read something that isn't proper, they can pick up on it because it doesn't *sound* right to them in their head. Cut the guy some slack. :shaking:

That said, the question is kinda noobish :flipoff2:

TH-400 will be the strongest...but uses more horsepower and is slightly less efficient in top gear than an SM465

TH-350 just trades some strength for some efficiency and cost advantages over the TH-400

SM465 is tough as shit, but shifts like a 50 year old transmission design and lacks an overdrive.

#8 ·
ran both an automatic and now have a 465.

the auto was good for being able to keep the engine "on the pipe" right in it's hp band for snow/mud. they are ok in the rocks, but cracking trans cases is a known possibility. also, if you need engine braking when going super slow, forget about it, you will be riding your brakes.

sm465 kinda sucks in the snow, and shifts slower than shit (definately not a drag racing trans by any means). but it will work in any position, is not very easily broken, engine braking when going downhill through the rocks is second to none. i never have to touch the brakes.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
th400 or 465 is the real question. in a wheeler/working truck a 465 is hands down more reliable and stronger. in a street/daily struck a 465 can bring the suck particularly with the heavy clutch springs and shitty traffic.
Are you going into neutral rather than holding the clutch disengaged? That reduces the pedal effort by a lot in my experience. Unload the dogs with the throttle and slip it into neutral, then if you don't end up stopped slip it into whatever gear is down near idle at your speed.

#10 ·
Sm465 gave me more gearing options, control and fun. Ive broke WAY less and been more sucessful with a th400.
Driving style, and wheeling preference should be major factors in your decision..just my 02

#18 · (Edited)
I have used all 3 in wheeling applications.

each has their own drawbacks.

th350's dont like lots of power (big block power, anyway), dont go from 1st to Reverse well, that will kill the sprag in seconds. cases are getting rarer, hard parts are also getting rarer. easy as pie to rebuild. good shift kits really help, as does adding a 5th clutch to the direct drum.

SM465's are nearly indestructible, but your clutch linkage needs to be done right. drives like a school bus, but you can pick your gear to assault an obstacle. can run water instead of 90 weight in a pinch. (like, for 5 miles, to get you off the trail and back to the tow rig you WILL need if you do this). clutches are your biggest worry, get the best you can afford. Shift towers get worn over time, which means if youre speed shifting it, you will be needing to address it.

TH400's are a good trans, and like the sm465, are nearly indestructible when built with the right parts. they dont like heat *(like any automatic trans) and will die when abused *(like anything else). they rob more power than any other GM automatic. its a tradeoff for having durable parts... durability isnt light. with the right shift kit, they last a long time. cases are strong, parts are reasonably cheap. easy to rebuild.

overall, you get to pick your own poison. your preference, whether or not you want to pick rpm, pick gears, or just point and shoot.

#19 ·
Comes down to personal preference and what you are doing. I grew up driving farm and work trucks with the SM465 and don't really care for them in those situations. City driving sucks and the gear spread is huge but they are tough. The granny low does great for crawling but a lot of trucks off-road just seem to either be too low in 1st or too high in 2nd. Newer manuals like the NV4500 are so much nicer to drive daily.

Personally I like autos and would go with the TH400. The comments about gearing come from most peoples experience with having the 400 coupled to a 205. While very strong the crawl ratio is horrible in this combination at about 19:1, in comparison a th700r4 and NP241 gives you 34:1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.