Pirate 4x4 banner

GM Dana 70 front Axle? Or something from outerspace?

45K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  CDA 455 
#1 ·
OK so I was all set to go buy a dana 60 front. big deal my first one ton build etc...

So the guy pulled the axle yesterday and sent the following pics. The pumpkin cover looks like a 60, but look at the extra webbing. Spring Perch looks a little further from the pumpkin. Also a factory dual shock bracket?

He said it seems heavy that a normal 60... Maybe a HD 60? At any rate I like the idea of heavier, but what will it cost to build? Anyone built one? What does it cost? Parts availability? Here are pics thanks for all the help. I have searched all over and found information, but none of the pics, diagrams etc... look the same.

If it is a 70 front what is its value? I need to build on a budget and a 60 is what I had planned on building, but if this is a buildable axle for less i would go that route....

I know the pics are not the best, but they are what I have via phone...

See less See more
#2 ·
what did that come out of ? The pumpkin does resemble a 70 with the extra webbing it has and the passenger side spring perch is unlike the chev/dogde versions of the 60 that have the perch cast into the pumpkin side. This might be a custom made front axle? The knuckles and C's look like typical 60 stuff. You really need to take an up close look and see what number is cast into the lower right hand side of the pumpkin to identify the diff.

#3 · (Edited)
Got a BOM. That would seem like a good place to start.

In any case, it isn't a run of the mill 60. Pad isn't cast into the pumpkin. Probably aftermarket conversion, or MD truck.

#8 ·
Yep already looked all over for at least 4 hours. Not meant to be a flame job but can a guy ever post a question here where some db does not come out and flame someone for asking a question that maybe possibly at some point once in a blue moon might have been asked before?

#4 ·
Unfortunately the axle is 1/2 way across the state and I am getting pics via the person that has it for sale. I am trying to get numbers etc. And better pics. I will see what he sends. It is in a 1983 Chevy with a dual rear 14 bolt. The top little crappy pic is the one of the rig. It is some weird chevy. It has the 6.2 deisel with 8 lug outers. I am wondering if it necks down just a bit between the shock mount bracket and the Cs

It looks to me like the pumpkin is deeper front to rear than a 60... Maybe for the extra size found on a 70 ring gear?

#6 ·
two things:

one, finding inner axles/brakes/parts might be a bitch.
two, with the pumpkins location, might it hit the oil pan or crossmember?

#10 ·
You have yet to be flamed. If for some reason you think you have, please turn off your computer, try not to cry and go watch a movie on Oxygen/Lifetime/OWN/etc. In the event this is the case, do not sign back on to this website. :flipoff2:

It very much looks like a Dana 70 centersection, and is consistent with the spring mounting I have seen on Pathfinder Van conversions. You probably have heavier inner C's and outer knuckles than the standard GM 60. Pop off a lockout hub and count the 35 spline outer shafts if it is a Dana 70.

#12 ·
You have yet to be flamed. If for some reason you think you have, please turn off your computer, try not to cry and go watch a movie on Oxygen/Lifetime/OWN/etc. In the event this is the case, do not sign back on to this website. :flipoff2:

It very much looks like a Dana 70 centersection, and is consistent with the spring mounting I have seen on Pathfinder Van conversions. You probably have heavier inner C's and outer knuckles than the standard GM 60. Pop off a lockout hub and count the 35 spline outer shaftthing real if it is a Dana 70.
WOuld love to pop off the cap, but again the axle is 1/2 way across the state. That is over 5 hours of drive time. I will post more as I get more.

Assuming it is a dana 70 where can I find specs, gear options, carrier information, etc? I have not been able to find any real solid on the axle. I do not want to cut everything down and fab a bunch. But I can if it is as cheap or cheaper than a 60 with gears and locker etc...

#16 ·
Hard to call it a good deal if you do not know what it is. I had all intentions of buying it, but thought it was a 60... Now I am not sure. I hate to buy something that has no after market support or something that will be a pita to find parts for...

#19 ·
That where 35 spline 60 stubs come from, factory D70s. Inners would be 35 spline, same as a 60. Only ? would be the length of the inners, but its easy to get custom length shafts if need be. The knuckles out are just 60 shit, but usually the inner Cs are actually a little beefier. As long as it says 70 on the lower right side of the chunk, I'd scoop it.

#21 · (Edited)
No I was heading tomorrow to go get it. But when he texted a pic to me I saw it was not your typical 60 axle. At that point I started trying to figure it all out.

So here is what I just got from the phone:

Ok some numbers from the axle:

On the pumpkin housing there is "17 E3 A" cast in the web... Ok some numbers from the axle:

On the pumpkin housing there is "17 E3 A" cast in the... The axle tube itself has the following 7 24 85 A 060 ba101 4.... He know the truck is an 83... But the axle build date look likes it might be 7-24-85????

This is the best I have for now...
This is the best I have for now... thanks again

Also I was going to pay 800 for the axle.

#24 ·
Again here are the numbers he found:

Ok some numbers from the axle:

On the pumpkin housing there is "17 E3 A" cast in the... The axle tube itself has the following 7 24 85 A 060 ba101 4.... He know the truck is an 83... But the axle build date look likes it might be 7-24-85????

This is the best I have for now...

#25 ·
I guess that sounds about right... Well, From the pics, it seems like you can pretty much guarantee its a 60 or 70 of some variation. So, you are there as far as strength goes. I would just offer him 600 and see what he says. I mean, go there with 6 in a pocket and 2 in the other type deal ya know? I got my last set of one tons for 100 bucks. Just because I said it was all I had.... lol

#26 · (Edited)
Looks like someone took a Dodge or Chev Dana 60 front, cut the center out and welded in a 60HD rear center. Maybe they put in longer tubes? Look for the stamped BOM numbers on the long tube if they are factory (060 ba101 4) seems wrong. How about some close ups of the inner "C" welds? Post a pic of the bearing hubs.

4x4 vans have odd axles like these. The conversion companies usually took 2 axles to make one.

#27 ·
Well I think I am scared to buy it now. Spring pad width is at 37". that is the only pics I can get. Wish I had closer ones, but I do not. I am thinking I have to back out on this one. Last thing I can afford on a teachers wage and with 2 kids is trying to set up a custom axle... I am trying to get him to do a WMS measurement as well...

If anyone is interested in the axle I can get you all the contact info. I simply can't afford the $150 in gas to go find out. I just have no idea how long the inners are, overall width of axle etc.

#29 ·
I could have missed it but what was the gear ratio? If its 3.07 youve probably got some weird Dana 61 is my guess. But the wikis say 61 front was Dodge only. But that right perch makes me think...

This post has been deleted
#36 ·
God I wish I was starting my new job sooner and was closer to you. All the cool shit like this is no where near me...

I have been looking for a big open knuckle front axle...

#37 ·
I have the same front, mine came from a 85 Ford F350 with a dump box. It was a conversion made some where up here in MN. The inner C's are larger and it has a 35 spline outer shaft. Mine is a dually front with lock outs and the BOM is for a Dodge. Just figured I would add my .02

#44 · (Edited)
thank you.

some people, you cant reach. Some people have to be spoon fed. some people just need a labotomy.

Learning insightful ways to find information by deduction is not for the faint of heart.

edit: (Why in the hell are we looking it up for him, anyway? It aint my shit, aint in my yard, I aint gonna profit from it, and I really just dont care)

#46 ·
Mh4Runner; said:
If you aren't interested in a topic, STFU and find one you do like. You must have cramps today, this guy is not deserving of being treated like an idiot.
look... I help a lot of people. I read a lot of threads. I learned early on how to find the information i needed. I used deduction, persistence, dedication, personal effort.

nobody spoon fed me information. I worked for it.

put down your spoon.

vote republican.

get people off of welfare.

This is the result of forcing people to teach themselves. Yes, sometimes the side effect is a dead busload of nuns... people cant learn unless they make their own mistakes.

#47 ·
You already said you didn't care, yet you are still here. I asked him for the info, walk the away and use your expertise somewhere else.

I have worked on a few Pathfinder and Quigly vans, as well as some cool F-Superduty 4x4 conversions. The way they make things work is of interest to me. Axles made by Dana for "converters" are always unique. The first time I have ever seen the passenger D44 knuckle drilled and tap from Dana, they had me hooked attention wise.

I am not the guy you need to try to change the political views of.

#49 · (Edited)
I will pull the cover soon as I get back from a work related trip next week. Would the numbers off the ring gear help you at all? You are correct, the axle came from a converted F350 HD that was 2wd to 4wd conversion. I wish I would have gotten the complete drive line, it had 2 transfer cases for a 4-1 ratio and a TH 400 behind a Ford Big Block. The trans was still there but not for sale of course, never seen a Th400 with a BBF pattern bell housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.