Pirate 4x4 banner

used cam question

666 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  GMGuy 
#1 ·
looking at buying a cam wondering if a used cam is alright im in canada so everything pretty much costs double after shipping and im trying to do this build as cheap as possible and this seems like a good cam for the build but its used and im kinda nervous about that but it seems pretty new as the black coating is still on it. going in a mild 350 build in a mud truck

heres the ad http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...s-SBC-Comp-cam-and-kit-150-W0QQAdIdZ338981583

thanks for responses

#3 ·
I would say no unless its a roller cam wear is less on those. But doesn't look to bad. Its only $150 bucks though. Whats the return policy? Might buy it and get it then return it if its not good.

#4 ·
if the lifters were not numbered and placed in some sort of storage container that will maintain the order, then its junk.

of course, its a flat tappet cam, so i wouldnt personally touch it unless it was new.

#5 ·
my buddy just tried to re-use a cam. i warned him multiple times. ended up costing him a brand new rebuilt engine. even if they numbered the lifters, etc. it's a bad idea. the lifter bores can be machined slightly different between engine blocks, especially in old school small blocks. even a tiny difference will be catastrophic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.