Pirate 4x4 banner

12 bolt pinion yoke

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Grumpy_old_fart 
#1 ·
Hey folks

As chevy 12 bolt pinion yokes are problematic, I'm just curious what you guys have done to upgrade. Got a 2003 Z71 PU and I go through u joints every 4 months. Who makes an upgraded yoke that has retaining ears instead of the stoopid clip retainers? Are these clips the real problem or is there another issue. My DS is in excellent shape and balanced.

Any help would be appreciated

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
C clips that snap onto the bearing cap on the inside collar closest to the body of the joint are spinning around to the strap side away from the yoke. This in turn allows the cap to walk out towards the end of the yoke and allows side to side play in u joint. I see this as a very poor design and cant believe I havent found a huge amount of info in my searches..

This truck is my DD and dont plan an axle swap till possibly spring. I would like to find a viable solution for the time being.

thanx

#12 ·
Trkklr77,
You saying the 10b and 14bsf yokes are the same? Meaning the pinion shaft, splines, seal diameter etc. My 14 bolt sf u-joints were bigger than my 10bolt when I replaced it in my Suburban. Have heard this before, just clarifying. Figured since you do this daily you would know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.