Pirate 4x4 banner

OverHeating 350

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  HAPPYJOHN 
#1 ·
So i have a buddy who put a chevy350 into his jeep and cant seem to get it to run cool...
Brand new head gaskets/ rebuilt heads
new water pump
3 core griffin radi
new thermostat
flex fan behind the radi
electric fan in front of radi
running all anti freeze coolant

Cant seems to figure it out... tried to birp the system to get any air out didnt seem to do much.
Seems to cool ok for everyday driving (runs about 180-210)
But on the dirt in low range its seen 250-260's which is crazy hot!
Any input will be considered...thanks guys :confused: :beer:

#4 ·
Not sure on this...i will check tho
no shroud?

tell me, is it one of those cheap plastic flex fans or one of the aluminum bladed fans that flatten out after getting up to speed?
Ya thought the shround was the prob...molded a piece of rubber for a make shift shroud...didnt seem to help
flex fan is aluminum blades that flattens out at high rpms...which i thought would help in low range at higher rpms...

#5 ·
not if it flattens out.... it doesnt pull when it flattens out...

get the stock fan off a 1960s straight six. 4 blades. cannot flatten... and itll pull air well. not to mention, it might pull the radiator into it if he gets it into water...

#6 ·
Ill have to look into the straight 6 fans....and i do not think it flattens out all the way...when smoking infront of the truck you can see the smoke going thru the radiator and right onto the motor...and with a 3 core griffin 2 fans a thermostat and all coolant no water...it shouldnt be a problem right. Starting to think the head gasket blew on the exuast side or something like that :confused:

#9 · (Edited)
I was told by a lot of good mechanics,straight anti freeze will run hot, that a mix of distilled water and antifreeze should be used, according to manufacter's instructions .Should always run distilled water,not tap water or bottled water ,because of mineral content.. P.S. simple test for blown head gasket:wait for rad. to cool start eng. take rad. cap off and look for bubbles, if so turn off eng. and watch coolant in rad. if bubbles continue ,possible head gasket bad.

#12 ·
I pulled a fan out of a 98' Ford Contour SVT because I couldn't keep mine cool either. Comes with 2 fans with a built in shroud. I wheeled on Saturday and if I left the fan on, I couldn't keep mine above 150, in the dead of southern summer, it sits at 170-180 all day.

#13 ·
with a fan on both sides, unless they move the same amount of air, wouldnt one fan be inhibiting the other?

Water has better heat transfer properties than anti-freeze/coolant. The more strait water you can run, the better. In San Antonio (temps rarely got below 20º), i ran 75/25 (water/coolant) in the wife's car. Did an excellent job of cooling her beast. And i believe the 20% coolant offered sufficient lubrication (although i CANNOT verify that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.