Pirate 4x4 banner

Help with 2.5 iron duke block identification.

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FrankenToy 
#1 · (Edited)
Needing a little help here. My brother bought this jeep with a 2.5 out of a s10 in it. well the block was cracked so he got it cheap, anyway he picks up this 2.5 off Craigslist with a fresh rebuild on it. Still bolted to the palate.

We start swapping parts and I notice a few small differences but every thing was going well. Untill I went to put the water pump on.

For some reason the water pump impeller hole on this block is 3.25" while the old s10 block the impeller hole was 3.5"

So I went to Napa for another new water pump. Thinking that since this block was carburated (Identified by the mechanical fuel pump I had to block off) I would order some thing for an early 80s Chevy with a 2.5

Well no luck, I had Napa order 3 different water pumps and all of them had a 3.5" impeler.

After a couple of hours with the guys at Napa cross referencing pumps I am at a loss.

Not I turn to you Pirate for help identifying this block and a water pump that will bolt up.

If this doesn't work I am going to fire up the die grinder and make that fucking hole 3.5"!!

Couple things about the block.

Same intake manifold as S10
same exhaust manifold as s10
Same timing cover as s10
Same distributor as S10
Same 60 degree bellhousing pattern as S10

Different water pump!! :laughing:
Also has threaded bungs in the head for Air injection before the exhaust manifold?

Going to attach a few pics.

GM block numbers 10014194-8

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I've been driving my S-10 (with an Iron Duke) for over 22 years and I the only thing I've touched on the engine was the water pump. Pretty sure that doesn't help you out one bit. Even after having owned it for all those years I couldn't tell you what it should look like either. But I can tell you this: I would try another parts house, not a different NAPA but a different chain altogether. I once worked on a Ford Ranger that needed a new rear drum. I picked up a new drum from AutoZone. It wouldn't fit over the axle flange (too small). I went back THREE times for a different cross reference number and none of them would fit. I finally got a refund and went across the street to a different house (NAPA I think :laughing:) and the drum fit just fine right out of the box. I guess once there is pee in the pool (bad part number in the books/computer) they can't remove it. Something to try, right???

#6 ·
And to add: I owned a '70 AMC Hornet once (the AK-47 of cars) and I damaged the impeller on a rebuilt water pump while installing it. I was able to remove the impeller off of the old pump and push it onto the new pump (after removing it's impeller).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.