Pirate 4x4 banner

52" front swap in a 1 ton camper special

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Grumpy_old_fart 
#1 ·
my father has a 81 chevy 1 ton dually standard cab 2wd camper special. it has insane leafs in the rear, and a huge camper. this thing handles ridiculously well for the size of camper in it!

Its looking like the truck will eventually become mine. add to this that we are going to be starting hunting this year. and with a little luck, every year until he cant any longer.

i would like to convert it to 4x4, and was thinking the budget 52" swap would be a better ride. but my concern is with the roll in turns. ive read every 52/56 swap thread possible, and it seems rather consistent that the 52's roll more in turns. and im the kind of guy to do a crossover swap at the same time. so a factory sway bar is not an option. so here are my questions.

-if i add say, 2 leafs, to the 52's, will it be "enough" to counter the sway? 3?

-thoughts on an aftermarket swaybar? do they make one thats gonna hold up?

-would i be better off looking at custom front leafs?

this doesnt need to flex a great deal, im mostly looking for better ride comfort and durability while handling as best as it can. a 4" lift is not ideal, and maybe i can come up with a way to french the springs for less lift. i would prefer just a 2" lift, enough to clear some 255/85-16's.

thanx for any input you all can offer. hope to here from those who have done the swap and have first hand handling experience.

joe

See less See more
#2 ·
my suggestion would be to ask this same exact question to a qualified spring company that can build you the exact set of springs you need.

Sure, you can patch together several different packs to get what you want, but the trial and error involved is much less expensive than the cost of what you want to accomplish without a headache and being able to do it once.

Do it once. dont fight with it for 6 months.

Deaver Spring.

#4 ·
You could always use the powerstroke lift springs, but they are stiffer. They are also 3 inches wide.. It might work well for you considering they are 56 but off center pin 25 inch on one side and they are designed for diesels etc... Im referring to 99-2004 fords.

#5 ·
was thinking the same thing. didnt know they were 3" though. no biggie.

this truck is a 454/th400. so with a stout bumper and 16K winch, it would hit right at the same weight as a stock stroke in front. maybe a touch lighter, but that would help with the roll/sway.

#6 ·
Deaver, alcan ..............
I did the 52s on my cummins. Took the over load out, and installed a extra bottom spring. They were 52 2" Procomps....... It rides ALOT better then other trucks I have had. I would get custom springs for it. I will be ordering a new set from ALCAN soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.