Pirate 4x4 banner

Need Help - Axle Swap for my DD avalanche

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rockbuggy84 
#1 ·
I've got an 04 avalanche 1500 Z71 with 3.73 gears. Rear axle is junk (pinion bearing) and shops around me are charging ~$1000 for axle rebuilds. so for similar cost, I'd rather swap a 14 bolt SF.

I would like to do a straight swap without building or setting up the axle. I have zero time right now to work on it.

I've found that a 2005 and 2006 Escalade with options GT4 and AXN will fit my needs. (rear coils, 14SF, 3.73, 6-lug) I realize it won't have the G80, and thats fine for now.

So, my problem: I'm having a hell of a time locating an axle that is somewhat close to me (Fort Wayne, IN area). Any help will be much appreciated. I've found some but they are 500+ miles away. I dont feel comfortable driving the truck with a bad axle that far. and I'm guessing shipping something that large will be big $$$

#4 ·
Thanks. I agree, G80 = the suck. I have checked a bunch of places online including car-part.

I haven't been able to find any good info on replacing just pinion bearings in a 10 bolt. Everything I find either says replace it all or leave it to the pros

#5 ·
You would be suprised how easy it actually is. Pull d-shaft, and remove pinion nut and yoke. Then jack up rear a pull diff cover, remove 5/16 bolt that hold in the cross pin, pull cross pin, remove wheels and drums or rotors, tap both shafts slightly in till the c-clips can be removed then slide both shaft out. Pull the 4 large bolts holding in the carrier. Keep everything to be reinstalled in the exact same position. Once the carrier is out, tap the pinion out and check to find which bearings need to be replaced. Usually both pinion bearings and one will need to be removed and replaced with a press(most machine shops will do it if you cant). Install a new bearings and pinion seal and reverse these steps. Use a torque wrench and a few hours later your back on the road.

This is going to allow you to have time to find a good deal on the 14bolt and you will learn something in the process. What if you bolt in a 14 bolt and it needs bearings? This is how people gain skills in life that are going to save you some serious coin. All said and done, if you take your time and dont rush, you will have a new skill and good rearend. Maybe $100 total and idiots on CL buy good 10 bolts left and right so you could resell it once you install a 14 bolt.:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.