Pirate 4x4 banner

this may or may not be a dumb question

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  positrack@earthlink. 
#1 ·
Been working on a motor for some time now and in this time I got my push rods out of order that they came out do they have to go back in the same place or does it matter

#5 ·
Any time I disassemble an engine I take some scrap 2 x 4s and drill two rows of eight holes the size of the push rods and a spade bit the size of the lifters and mark clearly the front. Then keeping and putting them back in in the order they came out becomes much less of a problem.

Are any of them worn excessively on the ends? Have you rolled them on a piece of glass to make sure they are straight?

#12 ·
i fail to see where i stated misinformation .

heres my exact statement '

"some push rods need to go upside right so the guide wears on the hardened part of the push rod.' now i dont know if this engine uses those but i threw it out there cause the op seems confused as to what he even has .

all i know is i paid a 20+ year certified mechanic over a grand to install a camshaft and my engine bit the dust a few months later cause he put some of them in upside down and they wore apart .

#17 · (Edited)
I don't know from experience what will happen because I always make sure to reassemble such things in the same exact position they were in when I took them apart. I can say every manual or motor book I've ever read stresses they need to go back in exactly as they came out because they develop a unique wear pattern with the mating parts (rockers and lifters). As I said, that's just what the books say; I dunno how true it is. YMMV.

As far as installing them "right side up," that should be easy enough. Just look for the wear pattern from the guide plates (worn band toward one end of each pushrod) and assemble them accordingly. For the record, I've never bought new pushrods with a sticker reading "this end up" so I don't see how one end could be heat treated differently than the other.

#18 ·
For the record, I've never bought new pushrods with a sticker reading "this end up" so I don't see how one end could be heat treated differently than the other.

FYI...

production items being hardened like pushrods go into the oven in batches.

they come out of the oven in batches.

one end is not hardened... the whole thing is hardened.

kinda difficult to say that the pushrods were installed upside wrong... either they were hardened, or they werent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.