Pirate 4x4 banner

85 chevy rollback built Q????

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  angryblack 
#1 ·
I have an 85 chevy c30 rollback. Its a std cab and I would like to make it a crew cab. What do you guy think is the best way to stretch the frame? What bracing do you think it would need. What if i made it 4x4?

#2 ·
remember parking lots are not huge.

parking spaces are few and far between sometimes for something to big to fit in normal spaces.

of course, I'm right there with you to build a bigger truck. its just not easy to find a spot to park something that long.

#5 ·
i'm thinking the liability of modifying a frame and commercially hauling people and vehicles might be too high of a 'OH SHIT" factor. that's alot of stress to place on a welded frame. and you may not pass inspection at the truck scales or if you get pulled over by the truck police, as every heavy truck frame i've seen says 'no cutting or welding on frame rails. you may need to bite the bullet and invest in a real quad cab flatbed truck. ive seen several internationals that tow into my work built this way.

#6 ·
Without pics of the frame its hard to say..But most rollbacks have little aft behind the axle..How far can you move the rear axle back..IIRC for a crew cab you need another 36" or so.If you can slide the rear back that far and slide the bed back(i know you can on most chevron beds not sre about JerrDann)

The added weight of the bigger cab will help keep things nice but you may have to relearn how you load certain cars..Think about how front heavy chevy luminas are versus a ford tuarus and you get the idea.

Most of the time cutting or adding behind the axle is fine to most DOT officials.What sucks about a light duty truck is the framerails arent really out there to double up..So your forced to weld and extend them.Just try to do it behind the rear axle..

Sounds like a ton of work to get a crew cab and then make it 4wd..But far as roll backs go you dont have much options out there for a truck like that.Without 4wd id say just go snag an MDT and be done with it.

#8 ·
Yes the frame is already done but its cut straight up and down and then welded. it has another 2' piece of frame with the bottom lip cut off as a fish plate. Its bolted in. I just didnt know if i should add any cross bracing or cross members when i lengthen it for the crew cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.