Pirate 4x4 banner

03 1500HD tcase swap ?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bggrnchvy 
#1 ·
i have a 03 1500HD 6.0/4L80E/NP246 with electronic shift. my shift solenoid is stuck in neutral. i really dont even want to mess with it, the cost of a new solenoid is the same as a used manually shifted tcase. just wanted to know what are my options to go behind the 4L80E for a manual shift. i think a NP241 is the one, but not sure, ive never messed with chevy tcases and the research ive done isnt giving me a straight enough answer to know if a 241 is for sure the one that mates to a 4L80E. i just need to kno if a 241 is what i want to be looking for. thanks guys

#4 · (Edited)
The 4l80e is 32 spline, that should bolt right up to your adapter. Look for a 241 from behind a truck with a 4l80e or even I think a nv4500 and Ull get ur 32 spline. Pick up a floor shifter and bezel from 01-07 classic trucks and Ull be good. Under the carpet or rubber mat there is a dimple in the floor to cut for the shifter. The 241 vss also works with the vss wires that go to your case, just splice them in. Make it easy on yourself and pick up a 241 pigtail for the wiring. You will know if you spliced it wrong since it doesnt shift.

As for the shafts, if with your 6 inch lift you didnt have the rear shaft lengthened it will now be an inch shorter with the 241. (i just went thru that). Now for the front shaft There are 3 different style front out puts on the 241, 4 bolt flange tall, 4 bolt flange short and a yoke. So you will have to go from there when you do the front shaft.

#5 ·
4l80e is 32 spline, that should bolt right up to your adapter. Pick up a floor shifter and bezel from 01-07 classic trucks and Ull be good. The 241 vss also works with the vss wires that go to your case. Look for a 241 from behind a truck with a 4l80e or even I think a nv4500 and Ull get ur 32 spline. If you truck is stock your stock rear shaft should work, it will tho be out of the slip an inch more. You will need a front shaft since the 241s are either a yoke or 4 bolt flange. Also will need to find the size of the ifs u joint when you do your shaft.
Thank you for the correction on the spline count

#6 · (Edited)
No prob, i knew 1st hand since i did it months ago..lol.
As for the shift selonoid how long has it lasted..?..if its the stock one just replace it with another...its prob way easier to change that than go thru the whole case swap. Thats entirely up to you, check ebay for the solenoid before you go thru with it, you may be able to fix it cheap. Not that the case swap is hard or anything tho, its just a little more than just installing a case.

#9 · (Edited)
The 261 prob is another option and prob a better way to go if you dont wanna mess with shafts. The 241 tho is a nice case and i didnt see that they have any cases of pump rub like the 261-263s do. Justchevytrucks.com did have them in stock. Check ebay out also...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.