Pirate 4x4 banner

4.3l Vortec Interchangeability?

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juanni 
#1 · (Edited)
*** UPDATE *** I finally found the casting numbers (they were on the opposite side of where all the guides showed me). The casting number is 10227196 which means it was manufactured between 93 and 95. now that this narrows down the list of possible years, will the fuel injection from a 97 work on it?

off the wall question probably, but i need a fast answer. I bought an FJ40 with a 4.3L Vortec v6 in it backed up by a 700R4 Trans. I have no clue what the motor came out of at this point, nor do i know the year model. It does have plastic valve cover gaskets with VORTEC on them, i read somewhere that this will tell what year range it is, but now cant find that article. This leads me to my question.

The previous owner swapped the engine to carbureator for some reason. I want to switch back. I have found a 4.3L locally that is not running but does have all the fuel injection stuff on it. Guy wants 200 for the whole thing which is right at the cut off of what i will spend on parts (upper/lower intakes, wires, etc). only thing i will be missing is the computer. I already have a complete wiring harness. The engine that he has for sale is from a 1997 C1500. I have not gone to see it yet, but should the intakes match up? are there differences in the different years? any reason it wouldn't work?

See less See more
#3 ·
I beleive '95 was the last year for CPI 4.3L, '96 and up are SFI/Vortec. Plastic upper intake plenum and spider/poppet injection systems.

The CPI intake will not interchage with the SFI, but you may be able to swap the heads from the newer style to the older block and use the sequential injection system. This is not a for sure, you will have to look around some to be positive.

#4 ·
I put a 95 4.3 in a 99 Blazer that had the 4.3, most everything interchanged but the oil pan and mounting holes are completely different, the PS pump was missing a boss and threaded hole on the block, and the intake has a bigger hole for the distributor so putting a 99 distributor in a 95 intake there is lots of slop.

Because of the oil pan issues there is no dust cover that fits,, unless you make one.

You can't swap in the 95 distributor because it is entirely different system than the 99.
I didn't want to mess with the intake so I made up a bushing to correct the distributor.

Hope this hepls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.