Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: GOOBER, 1971 GMC

210K views 671 replies 116 participants last post by  joshgammill 
#1 ·
I guess I will start my build thread now that I almost have a rolling chassis. This all started when I was 16 and purchased a 1980 k30 for $500. Did everything on the cheap and welded up the axles and threw on some 38 claws that I got for $100.

I drove it like that for a few years adding a few things, like full hydro steering, cause I couldn't steer it with the front being welded. :shaking: Then I went to the river with some friends and he had a built jeep and I decided I wanted to build one. Being young and dum and in a hurry I just shortend the frame 40 inches and threw the jeep body on and bought some 38 inch boggers.

Proceeded to drive it and upgrade it as I went for several more years. But I always regreted using that frame after I was done.

This is what the jeep looked like in its last stage.

My buddy driving.

Then a couple of years ago I became friends with a guy driving an old chevy at Clayton and fell in love with his rig.

See less See more
#3 ·
That brings us up to the current chapter of this rig. I found a buddy that had this pickup setting in his pasture and picked it up for $300. Put a battery in and some propane and drove it up on the trailer.

It sat at my place for a couple months while I was gathering parts. But when I broke my transmission case again on the jeep I decided it was time to tear down.

Once the jeep was completely tore apart I pulled the 71 in and tore it down.

Once I had it down to a bare frame I cleaned it up and fully boxed it in. ( wish I would have just started fresh with tubing now).

Then I got started mocking the front axle in place. Plans are to just run the 56" leaves up front and 4 link the rear on coils. Maybe link the front next year.

The front is done.

#4 ·
Now I'm working on the rear suspension. I got the rear axle cleaned up and ready to be trussed.

Then I worked on getting my link tabs and brakets built.

Mocked up.

Took my links to the machin shop to get tapped. Still waiting to get those back.

Then I bobbed the rear frame off and started planning out my coil buckets.

That is where I'm at as of now.

The plans are to boatside the cab, bobb the rear of the bed and dove tail it just a little. I still want to be able to fit a ATV in the back. And possible pinch the front a little, still not sure if I want to do that or not.

The other specs are: dana 60 full chromolly and 35 outers, welded. Rear 14 bolt welded with 5.13's. Full hydro steering, TBI 350, th 400, np205-203 doubler, running 44's with recentered double beadlocks.

#19 ·
looks good. you may want to add another front shackle pivot point forward about 2" and lower down to the base of the frame. you might regret having your shackles be straight up/down when unloaded, they can revert on you and bend up your springs.

#28 ·
I got the rear coil buckets done this weekend. I had to build them so I could build a small frame on behind them to support the end of the bed. The springs are off the front of a TJ.

I also got started placing the drivetrain. Haven't started building any mounts yet, it's just on stands right now.

Hope to get it all mounted this week and then have to pull the trans and put a new case on it because the old one is cracked on the tail housing. And if I'm lucky I might have my links back from the machine shop at the end of the week.

#29 ·
I got the motor mounted and I think I have a plan for the tcase cross member. Hope to get it figured out tonight and in place. Going to wait to do the second cross member until I put it all back in in and can put the front drive shaft on so I can check for clearance. Nothing worth taking pics of last night.

#31 ·
Finished up my motor mounts on Friday night.

Then on sunday I had my buddy come out and swap all the guts out of my transmission into my new case. While he was doing that I got my bed bobbed.

Before:

After:

Once I get everything mounted back on then I will check for clearance and do some more cutting on the fenders. Right now I just cut enough to clear so I could mount the bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.