Pirate 4x4 banner

99 Chevy 2500 Rear Diff goes, clank, clank, clank..... :/

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ZuperDave 
#1 ·
Well I never had this be an issue before so I recorded it to share my adventure,.....

I was just driving down the road in Hanford, heading to see my Grandkids at Derek's House......When all of the sudden POW,...Jerk,....clank, clank, clank, clank,.....etc.etc....I pulled into the Walgreens Parking lot to see what had happened. Did not see any visible damage, no leakage, every appeared fine. Thought by chance that I run over something that stuck in my tires?.....I moved the truck around in the parking lot and it did have a clank, clank, clank coming from the rear axle........Bummers Right?.

So, I drove it to Derek's house at <40 mph and thought about what it could be. I just changed my diff gear oil back in October and it looked good. never had the diff cover off because my axle has a low drain plug at the bottom of the housing. No one had been into the housing that I know of ever......

So, this morning I got it up on blocks, rotated it to hear the noise,...this is the 1st Video of 6.
You need high speed internet to load video's.....

Talk about missing the obvious........LOL

Pics of the damaged Pinion Gear.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have no idea how the retaining bolt came loose allowing the pin to slide,....the rear diff has not been opened in 6 years and probably 80K miles......Have change Gear Oil a couple times,.but never took diff cover off.

The rims are Micky Thompson with GM Caps.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Okay, after some bartering with Peachy I talked him in Ed into doing an axle swap and providing labor in exchange for a Sami,...I found a 14Bolt FF in Bakersfield for just over $500,...got lucky with brake calipers from my SimiFloater since the FF did not come with them. I had to buy new rotors to clear the center of the FF. had to change brake cable, cable came with FF,...got lucky there.

Now I am wondering about Combination Joints,...a U-joint that goes from 1310 on one side and 1350 on the other. The yolk on the FF is noticeably larger than my driveline has.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-135304-dana-spicer-1310-to-1350-conversion-u-joint.html

Has anyone ever ran a conversion joint?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.