Pirate 4x4 banner

465 issue

924 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  muddigger21 
#1 ·
I have a sm465 that i just installed in my 73 k30 tbi, before i installed the trans it would shift. now that its in the truck it seems it is stuck in a gear, i cant get it in reverse to remove the cover and check. i can get the cover up about 1". any ideas on how to get it into neutral or any idea of what could be causing it to not shift now? any help is deeply appretiated

THANKS,
Richard

#3 ·
not sure what all the parts are called but. i have seen the centering spring shaft shear the e clip that holds the shaft in place. the shaft then slides out of the hole its in and unless you very lucky it locks out 3. 4. R. it is a wicked pain in the ass to try to get it into R to pull the cover to fix a 35 cent part. had it happen twice on one cover. i have sence got rid of that cover and no more problems. if the shift rail is not popped then i would look in to this. i just dicked around with it untill it goes in R thought i was going to break the shifter at one point.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
not to hijack or anything. but also kind of had a question involving shifting. i also put a 465 in my 91 burban. for a couple days the hydraulic clutch wasnt working so i had to start it in gear and just speed shift. however i noticed if i started it in low gear (granny gear) it would not shift into 1st gear (or 2nd to some people) without the clutch. i drive it everyday taking off in 1st and can shift to 2nd and 3rd no problem with no clutch. then almost come to a complete stop and crack the throttle just a lil and drops back into 1st... but can not go from granny to 1st without the clutch to save my life. this normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.