Pirate 4x4 banner

nv4500 to np205

38K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  u2slow 
#1 ·
Hey everyone im new here and have been searching for awhile now. My project is a 79 k30 crew cab im eventually going to make into a trail truck. not just rock specific or mud. Anyhow i want to run a nv4500 chevy trans with 32 spline output and i have a np205 with a 10spline input from a sm465 i was gunna run. Now transfercases are hard to come by up here in northeastern sd and i plan to convert my 205 to a 32 spline input and having it machined. Northwest fab makes an 8 (racetrack) to 6 round conversion 5/8" plate (http://www.northwestfab.com/tcaseadapters.html) and using a short 32 sline input to hopefully bolt up to the rear of the nv4500. now my dillema. since the nv4500 is very picky to it oil and i dont need one or the other to end up full of oil and the other starved, how do i put a seal in the front of the 205 to separate the 2. i havent found any how to on the conversion of small to large bearing 205's and hope someone here can help.

#4 · (Edited)
no.. problem is not solved.

try again.

I guess i will humor you and provide the OP the information he needs, which is out of my norm....

the NV4500 takes a special oil for the synchro rings to operate correctly.

the NP205 takes 90wt, unless of course, you have an owners manual from 1982 or later that outlines that your half ton or 3/4 ton takes ATF, in which case, the NP205 came in a 1 ton, so the owners manual was just put in the glove box for people to read when they got bored on long road trips.

the NP205 with 32 spline input requires a bearing retainer which houses a seal. You must install this bearing retainer with seal to (for those "duh moments") retain the input bearing and thus the input gear into the proper orientation in the case. this seal will keep the fluid from becoming too friendly with the trans, or trans fluid from polluting the case.

to swap the 32 spline(*SPLINE, not SLINE) input into your case, you must disassemble it and have it machined for the larger input bearing. There is no conversion bearing to do this. the case must simply be machined.

If I were you, and you were smart (which doesnt seem to be the case in either instance), I would get the proper roundfaced np205 and put the short input into it.

I dont see your issue.

you arent done yet?

#6 ·
Oh and besides your flaming me when theres guys askin about gear contact patterns (no offense) when i ask a question thats legit (for the so many people doin it i still havent heard one decent answer)...stop floodin p4x4 with flames andxhelp one guy out who just wants to go back n wrench not look at a comp for a week thru flames for 1 answer

#7 ·
3 replies to yourself?

ok, for one, I might have a clue about the 205... i wrote a thread about it. but, you didnt search, didnt find it. the information that I provided is correct, forthright and will help you.

it is sad to think that you wont take my assistance. you might as well go fuck a goat. maybe a sheep.... North Dakota should have plenty of them, and I'm willing to bet they spell better than you.

#10 · (Edited)
ok all my rants asside this still doesnt help at all...nv4500 needs syntorque which i stated in first post. even if i run the same fluid in both what happens when i hillclimb or anything down highway, pumps all the fluid into the tcase n starves my trans or tcase pumps oil into trans, starves np205. i dont wanna try to find another np205 as i got this for free and free means i dont wanna spend squat of time or money trying to find another one and get it here. so as i asked has anyone put a np205(originally 10 spline) behind a nv4500 without the advanced adaptors kit?? surely this has been "covered so many times like i keep hearing"

#11 ·
ok all my rants asside this still doesnt help at all...nv4500 needs syntorque which i stated in first post. even if i run the same fluid in both what happens when i hillclimb or anything down highway, pumps all the fluid into the tcase n starves my trans or tcase pumps oil into trans, starves np205. im fucked either way so as i asked has anyone put a np205(originally 10 spline) behind a nv4500 without the advanced adaptors kit??
Grumpy already told you to go find a fucking round 205. If you're set on using a fig. 8 case, then get the NWF adapter plate and a fucking seal retainer from a 203 or 241. Drill 4 holes, bolt seal adapter to NWF adapter using some silicone. Or, convince yourself you need a doubler. Drill and tap round pattern in the face of the 203 range box and attach to the 4500 with studs. Then buy a doubler kit that mates the 203 range box to your fig. 8 205. That gets you a round-to-fig. 8 adapter AND 4:1 low range.

None of this if rocket science. You're just too fucking stupid to figure it out, so you come on here pissing and moaning then get butthurt when you're sorry ass starts feeling a little heat. The first reply told you to fucking SEARCH, which would have likely answered your question. Then Grumpy, against his better judgement and out of character, actually spoon fed you the answer. You're the one with a problem, not us. Don't like it? Go choke on a sack full of dicks :flipoff:

#14 ·
the adaptor is the bearing retainer on all the ones i have seen.
i dunno man looks like you need to get the front aluminum bearing retainer/seal from a 203 or a later model t case which i care not to remember cause maxpf said it. that should solve your seal problem. as maxPF said just drill and tap the bolt holes for the bearing retainer. the seal retainer indexes off the bearing, which indexes off the case, so you should just be able to take a trasfer punch and mark it with the bearing inserted after you have gotten in machined, make sure to check and have the drain back hole pointed towards the bottom of the case.

then all you have to worry about is the shift rail that will contact the round mount which can be solved by either grinding the tail shaft on the 4500 orr you buy that huge spacer from AA and use a long input shaft.

#13 ·
first of all thanks for alls help but its not what im looking for yet.

ok grumpy just got done readin your np205 thread and has a good collection of info. i have been researching this with what time i have, now for about 6 months. i do not beleive anyone has used this nwf adaptor how i am wanting to. i was just curious if anyone out there has seen this adaptor and knows if its machined to retain the bearing (which if it bolts up to the face of the 205 im sure its gunna, and wanna know if theres room to machine a spot in the front of it for the seal.

I was also wording my posts to anyone thats done it another way. really the only nv4500 swap info is finding a round case which i dont wanna do right now. i know its possible (8 bolt np205 behind nv4500) its been done but probably not here.

#15 ·
All of the Chevy and Ford round pattern cases come with a bearing retainer which is also a seal housing. They are held in with (4) 1/4" Allen head screws. Which fit inside the stock 4x4 4500 tail housing. With a little clean up of the casting. And yes you need to relive the flange (of the tail housing) for the shift rail.

Again,
4x4 tailhousing (Chevy or Dodge)
Round pattern case (Chevy or Ford)
Short 32spline input (from early TH400 case)
Notch tailhousing for shifter rail.

Done with no aftermarket parts. Fuck AA. And while being a strong all 32spline setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.