Pirate 4x4 banner

Front Axle Rear Spring mounts, Solid Axle'd s10 or s10 blazer

12K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  joshgeorge 
#1 · (Edited)
Wondering if anyone has ever mounted their front axle rear spring hangers on the inside of the frame rail instead of off of the bottom of the frame rails. Mine are currently mounted off of the bottom of the frame rails like this

Im trying to figure out someway to mount them to the inside of the frame rails to move the mounts up 2/3 inches. Doing this will make the front and rear of the springs alot closer to level and hopefully take care of some of my brake dive problems but most of all lower the front of my blazer down the 2/3 inches. I know that i could just switch out my 2" waggy lift springs for a set of stockers but id like to stick with a arched springs instead of flat/inverted.

I cant find anyone that has mounted them like im wanting to, Everyone seems to mount them off of the bottom. I know that going off of the bottom is the easiest and probably the strongest but im really interested in figuring out a way to go off of the side that is plenty strong.

See less See more
#2 ·
your running a different front spring in the front of yours then most of us around here are running, most of us are running 52" springs upfront which locates out shackle mount in a different place than yours with the 48" springs. I moved my axle forward enough where my shackle mount is close to where yours is. what are you running for a spring width? how wide is your frame? I wheeled my rig this summer with a setup very similar to yours, and I HATED my shackle hanging 6" below my frame. i also did not like the sway in the front end from slop in my BRAND NEW spring and shackle bushings, so i did some searching and found slider boxes. not alot of info out there on them yet, but what is out there is good! with my spring lengths, where the boxes would have to be mounted really sucked, so I went to 56's in the front to move the box 4" rearward. what is the distance on your truck now from front spring mount to center pin? would it be possible to switch to 52's and slider boxes? mounted at the same height your shackle hangers are now, if you currently have a 6" shackle, it will lower the front 3", but it will also change caster and pinion angles. althought i have not gotten a chance to use the slider boxes yet, im positive they will be leaps and bounds better than the 6" shackle hanging below the frame begging to get caught backing out of a hole/off a rock. this picture was taken in the process of putting them in, they now have alot more bracing. I can get more pictures now that the boxes are done and the springs are in if you would like? but heres one to get your mind going

#3 ·
Never even heard of a slider box, Please post the others pictures you mentioned it would help alot.

Im running waggy leafs with the short side of the springs facing the front. I really dont think i could change springs without moving the front and the rear hangers to get my axle positioned in the same spot it is now.

#6 ·
yeah ive seen it done, i have the link saved on my internet explorer bookmarks but it keeps crashing my computer when i try to open it.... im pretty sure i got the link from someone on this site when i posted this question like 3 years ago. ill search for it and see if i can find it. i just put my shackles up front to improve the angle

#8 ·
#9 ·
haha, I recognize those pics as I had something to do with them! that truck still isn't finished.... I really wish my bud would get it done so we can find out for sure how good/bad an idea this is. between the DOM tubing and some extra reinforcement I think it will be OK.

#11 ·
Great, Gonna go hop underneath of mine and see if something like that is feasible. That looks like it would be plenty strong because it would give you lots of places across the top to make some triangle braces to tie into the frame rail also.

Keep the idea's comin guys!

#13 ·
I don't know how well that'll work on mine, I'm afraid they are going to be sticking out too far off of the frame rails. I don't know if it is because mine is a zr2 or because it is a 2nd generation but my frame looks wider apart.

#15 ·
I like how you did that. Another possibility i can go with but definetely alot of work. Dont know if i could whip that in a day like im hoping to do saturday. Borrowing a buddies garage because my 71 nova is filling mine up currently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.