Pirate 4x4 banner

Trucks that just wont die?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  PatJ 
#1 ·
Looking for some input from guys owning their trucks a long time.
Who owns a truck that just won't die?
I'm looking to build a off road project for my big block and cant pick which years are the most dependable.
Thanks.

#3 ·
I'd like to actually build a 1969 truck...but I don't see too many guys building classic trucks.
Seems every time I get into a buddies 1500 or 2500 the engine light is on.
Bodies and frames seem to be swiss cheese here in Ohio.
Doesn't anyone garage their trucks???:homer:
Obviously guys on the west coast will have some better looking trucks..but I know there are certain years which seem to last forever.
Flame suit installed.:grinpimp:

#4 ·
I dunno about you, but my garage is full of my projects, tools, and equipment. The dd can chill outside. :D

If you want a truck that just wont die, I suggest you go get an early 80's one ton, with 33's. Other than that, they are all prone to breaking, depending on the driver. The question is when...

#5 ·
you asked and was giving a good answer if you want the 69 body then use it. and as far as a light on in your buddies truck, that could be very simple maintenance to rid that.

at least your in the right section for the best trucks out there :D just keep searching and reading and it will become real obvious on what best suits your needs and budget.

#8 ·
When i started wheeling years ago, a buddy of mine dug a 68 chevy out of a field and started wheeling it.. then gave it to a wrecking yard.

the truck has been through about 6 different owners since then, and none of them has been very nice to it.

I just found it again and picked it up, and I am in the middle of doing a mild resto and setting it up for DD duty as my own personal rig. I know its history, and this truck will not quit.... one reason i decided to give it a little more life.

#9 ·
s10s have always done it for me. a 85 was given to me years ago. got it running to find out it had a dead cylinder so just made a offroad truck out of it, ive tried to blow this thing up , overheated it pleanty of times where it would shut off and wouldnt start back up for a while. wheeled that truck for 3 years and sold it running.

another 85 was my old work truck i bought for 100 bucks. i sold it mostly because it was embarrassing to drive, bed fell off, cab split in half, floor gone, doors falling off. i gave it to a friend about a year ago, still running. only thing thats went out so far is the starter on him.

both had the 2.8. aint many 2.8s left on the road grab one while you still can :flipoff2:

#10 · (Edited)
Pretty much anything mechanical before 1980 or so is made to service and repair, instead of replace as is common with stuff newer than 1980 or so.

It isn't just trucks, but generators, fire pumps, air handlers, forklifts, printing calculators, TV's/Stereos, exterior lighting, commercial door hardware, big motors, control air compressors, and on and on. Before 1980 or so, stuff was build to last and was built to repair/rebuild. After 1980 or so stuff was made to toss and replace. Just my experience. This country was a different place before about 1980 or so.

For trucks, I have probably had somewhere around 20 of the 73-87 Chevy's and currently own 4. That is the last Chevy truck I would consider rebuild-able forever. If you look at the service manuals for those trucks they show you how to tear down and rebuild absolutely everything. Window washer pump, door hardware, alternator, everything.

That is just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.