Pirate 4x4 banner

'99 8.25 IFS gear pattern check

11K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  cperry 
#1 · (Edited)
Brand new G2 Gears, 4.56. (R&P numbers match)

I can't seem to get a well defined pattern. It looks like a wedge or triangle more than the long pattern I'm used to. Is this just because I can't put a load on it?

I've been fighting this all yesterday and I have to get it back together asap.

There's no way real to load the gears so I'm using the drill method with the cams pretty tight about 50 inch pounds of drag on the yoke.

This is the best pattern I can get on the pinion. BL might be a hair off as I have to reset every time I crack the case, but it looks pretty centered.

Thanks for any input.

:usa:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
updated original post :)

#4 ·
Pinion is waaay too shallow.

Pulled these pics from Ken Francisco's site: http://www.gearinstalls.com/. Anyone wanting to learn how to read patterns should spend some time going through his builds.

Too shallow - note the hard line at the top of the tooth:

Too deep - note the hard line at the bottom of the tooth:

Just right - just about in between the two:

#5 ·
thats what I thought too. It's at .039 and I went to .045 and it didn't change much. I'll throw a bunch more in it and see what happens thanks.

#6 ·

Attachments

#7 ·

Attachments

#8 ·

Attachments

#9 ·

Attachments

#10 ·

Attachments

#11 ·
I think .060 looks best, but I'm gonna go play some more.

#13 · (Edited)
.059, .010 BL

Attachments

#15 ·
.059, .007BL pinion wiped, ring wiped

PS- Thanks for all your help Tim!

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
I'll throw the .59 and .60 in again tomorrow and check them. I moved on to the rear end to not waste time and to de-stress a bit. I've never done the IFS diff before, but I can do my D44 or 9" in a few hours. This one just kicked my ass. I had a bad starting point and went from there.

Thanks again for all your help :beer:

#18 ·
I had a 9.5" gear set that was similar to this. If I had a good drive pattern, coast was on the heel. Good coast pattern put the drive on the toe. After some research I found out that sometimes certain gear sets or diffs won't give you an "ideal" pattern on both sides. The most important thing is that the pattern is centered between the crown and root with the BL in spec. In that case, go for the best drive pattern and settle for a less than perfect coast. I did that, ran those gears for a lot of miles, and both sides still looked new when I pulled them a few years later to re-gear. Like I said, that was a 9.5" rear, so it was run all the time. Not like a front diff that is only loaded a small percentage of the time that 4WD is actually used.

#19 ·
this looks like the best I'm gonna get, I ran 060 and 058 again this morning with all the same backlash (009), but 059 gives the best pinion depth.

This is 059, with 009BL, gear manf. tolerances are 006-010BL, so I have 1 thou to play with on final assembly, but I don't think it's going to center up much more. Is this acceptable to run with what appears to be a tiny bit of run off on the toe on the drive side?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.