Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: Trouble

6K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Monster67 
#1 ·
I found this truck in the summer of 2010, pretty stock, needing tlc. It was in decent shape, got it for a grand.

Specs as it came:
1973 Chevy K10 Stepside
350ci
d44/12bolt
no a/c or heater(busted core)
sm465
np205
33s
stupid add-a-leaf in front

After hours of figuring out how to get this wide heavy b**ch home on a tow dolly and a long sketchy drive home with her swaying on the freeway (not the best way to transport a fullsize) I decided it was appropriate to name her trouble. It suits her well.

I put on a new set of wheel and tires shortly after and gave her a rattle can face lift.

I also bent my front bumper at hollister.
Thats my buddies ranger in the back.

Poser flex shot, and frame twister!

The Plan:

Turn her into a dirtbike transport, expedition wheeler, play-around thingy. Im a working college student, so this will be a low budget (relatively), slow build.

Planned mods:
-Bobbed rear
-arb rear
-front locker (or welded)
-52s/63s
-custom bumpers
-6 point cage
-dana 60/14 bolt
-trail worthy fab h1 beadlocks w/ surplus 37s
-6.0l lq4
-nv4500?
-doubler?
-winch
-belt drive air compressor (york)
-narrow the front end?

See less See more
#17 ·
I'll offer a counter to that thought. I used to be of the same opinion, but after talking to some of the guys and checking out a lot of the comp rigs, this is the exact path a lot of them are taking...one thing being key: full hydro, or at minimum, hydro assist. Reason being, you can unlock the rear, use a cutter brake, and pivot easily with the front locked. If you weld the rear and run a selectable up front, you're always dragging the inside rear tire, thus increasing your turning radius.

That said, a welded rear with selectable up front can still work really well with a selectable rear brake. Either way can be made to work on a trail truck, which it sounds like that is exactly the direction this build is going.

Off to a good start with a great foundation!

#10 · (Edited)
ok ok ill put some more photos in

also i dont have an lq4 yet, but i am making my own mount bracket for the york to sbc 350

here you can see how much we cut off

got my 52s in a while ago, and i know i need to add leafs to my pack. I wanted to set mine as low as possible so i set it up with a 6.5" shackle

now i just need to find a good deal on a 14bff, and finish up my crossover steering and extra high clearance crossmember

anybody want a 12b with an arb? or a dodge dana 60? :p

#13 ·
i started getting my steering built for my dana 60

i might have some clearance issues to work out on my diff cover, not sure till i tack up the tierod.

does anybody know of any high clearance diff covers? I decided to go with 1.5x.25 dom for my steering has anybody else noticed any loss of turning radius from this large of a tube?

I also got my PM steering arm with springless KP setup. Its way beefier than it looks in photos.

Btw does anybody have any tips for setting preload on the springless kit?

I like how coke cans are becoming a new unit of measure, :p

#14 ·
i started getting my steering built for my dana 60

i might have some clearance issues to work out on my diff cover, not sure till i tack up the tierod.

does anybody know of any high clearance diff covers? I decided to go with 1.5x.25 dom for my steering has anybody else noticed any loss of turning radius from this large of a tube?
ruffstuff dana 60 cover is pretty dam good.
mine touches/bows the tierod but nothing major..

#16 ·
My daughter had the same truck in High school (exactly the same), she left it here when she left for college so I have been looking at it and thinking about doing something with it for over a year. Glad to see you building this. Good luck. I think they make a great trail truck.

#18 ·
does anybody know of any high clearance diff covers? I decided to go with 1.5x.25 dom for my steering has anybody else noticed any loss of turning radius from this large of a tube? [QUOTE said:
DIY4x4's razor 60/70 covers are made to clear low steer haven't seen first hand though. Why not just hi-steer???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.