Pirate 4x4 banner

Anyone have pics on a 14 BOLT FF with Ford housing ends?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  spidr 
#1 ·
Im looking into keeping my 14 bolt FF but ony if its not to o big of a deal welding ford housing ends on it. Can anyone tell me the hurdles I may run into. Will I have to use smaller axle tubes or will I be able to just weld them on the ends? Anything helps especially some pics, Thanks

#4 ·
even then, i remember there is a company that makes hubs for any lug pattern. expensive, but a hell of a lot easier than trying to modify a 14 bolt.

fwiw, you can weld new ends on anything, but without the right equipment how are you going to align it perfectly for welding? if it's not aligned properly then you may break an axle, or wear out axle spines, diff splines, etc.

#5 ·
Im trying something guys do in diesel drag racing. Ive got a heavy twin turbo truck and a complete built 14 bolt with FF axles. They cut off the ends and weld a nine inch type housing end to eliminate all the extra weight off the ends. Then go with an aftermarket axle with a 5 lug pattern. Another reason to do this is so you can use a 15x10" wheel and not have to relocate your leaf springs due to the larger distance between the stud side mounting surface and the housing end flange.

#6 ·
Maybe the diesel ricer forum is for you then?:D

Why would thou sacrifice the strength of that for the weight reduction you could get in other places... Carpet, mirrors, seats all could be ditched to give you the same amount weight reduction?:flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.